Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRobert Fripp Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 22:44
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Oops, here's the link, sorry!  The server I am using won't let me put the live link up for some reason.

http://www.themarqueeclub.net/interview-peter-banks-yes

Wow what an interview. revealing at times. I like the part about Yes rehearsing like crazy after watching Crimson play! Fripp walking around in a cape like a monk? Nah that's impossible LOL. As for caffine I had a friend who had a girlfriend who had a friend who actually served Fripp breakfast once in a hotel in Montréal and she said that it was like serving a food critic. He requested some exotic coffee that they didn't have.

Thanks for the reminder!  I first met Fripp at a suburban Chicago music store (my buddy who went with reminds me that the exact date was 18 June, 1979).  He had a roadie with named Fred, and Fred rather excitedly told Fripp about this great Jamaican restaurant he found where the cook specialized in fish!   Fripp's response was positive, albeit understated.   

This was during his "Exposure" period, and he made a lot of appearances around the Chicago area.  I noticed that after Lennon was shot, Fripp became much harder to connect with.   Weird dude, but where would we be without him?  
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 22:49
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

For a few years in Crimson, he seemed interested in the occult. He recorded an album's worth of material with a witch somewhere in England (I suppose). He often played an abundance of tri-tone riffing that in the 18th century was forbidden by the church and many musicians that did play it, were accused of being in league with the Devil. Judy Dyble found him quite frightening to work with. But you know, people change and just for the record, he may very well had an interest in the occult from a historical point of view and not on a personal mission or cause to gain power. Nevertheless when listening to K.C., you couldn't help to think maybe Fripp's occult interest influenced the music. 

From the man himself:

Sid Smith wrote, in his book In The Court Of King Crimson:

In June 1972, Fripp finished recording an album with a Wicca witch and journalist, called Walli Elmark. The album was called The Cosmic Children. Side one consists of Fripp and Elmark in conversation where she outlines her experiences and commitment to Wicca. On side two, she talks to DJ Jeff Dexter about cosmic children - spirits from other places who take physical forms such as Hendrix, Bolan, Bowie and Mike Gibbons, drummer with Badfinger. Talking to NME's Simon Stable, Fripp stated: “The function of the album is to reach out to the children like the drummer from Badfinger, I want to say; ‘You're not nutty, you're not a freak because you can't relate to what's around you’.” The Cosmic Children remains unreleased.

http://www.elephant-talk.com/discog/fripp/

Whew!  I knew that the LTIA band had some wiccan influence, but didn't know about this sh*te!!  

TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 12:21
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

For a few years in Crimson, he seemed interested in the occult. He recorded an album's worth of material with a witch somewhere in England (I suppose). He often played an abundance of tri-tone riffing that in the 18th century was forbidden by the church and many musicians that did play it, were accused of being in league with the Devil. Judy Dyble found him quite frightening to work with. But you know, people change and just for the record, he may very well had an interest in the occult from a historical point of view and not on a personal mission or cause to gain power. Nevertheless when listening to K.C., you couldn't help to think maybe Fripp's occult interest influenced the music. 

From the man himself:

Sid Smith wrote, in his book In The Court Of King Crimson:

In June 1972, Fripp finished recording an album with a Wicca witch and journalist, called Walli Elmark. The album was called The Cosmic Children. Side one consists of Fripp and Elmark in conversation where she outlines her experiences and commitment to Wicca. On side two, she talks to DJ Jeff Dexter about cosmic children - spirits from other places who take physical forms such as Hendrix, Bolan, Bowie and Mike Gibbons, drummer with Badfinger. Talking to NME's Simon Stable, Fripp stated: “The function of the album is to reach out to the children like the drummer from Badfinger, I want to say; ‘You're not nutty, you're not a freak because you can't relate to what's around you’.” The Cosmic Children remains unreleased.

http://www.elephant-talk.com/discog/fripp/

Whew!  I knew that the LTIA band had some wiccan influence, but didn't know about this sh*te!!  

This is very oddShocked   I first read a brief paragraph on the project in the booklet contained in "A Young Person's Guide To King Crimson". LP.  The cd has the duplicate but my reading glasses are a burden. 
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 12:27
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

^ Exactly.  Look at Frank Zappa, for instance. 

Agreed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12