Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrian Eno & The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brian Eno & The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
    Posted: February 19 2010 at 07:51

Whilst reading a biography of Brian Eno (On Some Faraway Beach by David Sheppard) I was surprised to discover that Eno had collaborated with Genesis during the recording of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (namely adding vocal F/X on Gabriel's voice during The Grand Parade Of Lifeless Packaging and the shimmering production behind Silent Sorrow In Empty Boats). It's said that Tony Banks wasn't keen on his inclusion however and argued against him receiving a credit.

This finally ties up in my own mind the ambivalent album credit of 'Enossification' which I had hitherto simply dismissed as Gabriel being Gabriel.

More well known is the fact that Phil Collins went on to collaborate regularly with Eno on his solo albums Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy and Another Green World and even credits Brian with encouraging him to start making his own solo albums.

Edited by sigod - February 19 2010 at 10:48
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 08:38
Yeah, longtime Eno and Genesis fan.  It was actually a few years after getting into the Lamb that I realized Eno was in the credits.  I think it was because the first time I read the credits, I didn't know Eno.

As much as I like Banks as a musician, the anecdote above, added to what I've heard already reveals the guy to be a bit of a jerk.

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 19 2010 at 18:59
Rune2000 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 08:41
If the memory serves me right Phil's contribution on Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy was a thank you gesture from Genesis for Brian's contribution on The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway.

Wikipedia:
"For guest drummer Phil Collins, Eno called in a favor from Collins' group Genesis. After Eno had aided with production on Genesis' album The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Genesis front man Peter Gabriel asked how they could repay Eno. Eno looked at Phil Collins stating that he needed a drummer. Collins played drums on Mother Whale Eyeless as repayment."

Edited by Rune2000 - February 19 2010 at 08:44
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 08:41
well... at the time it was no secret and I've never regarded "Enossification: Eno courtesy of Island Records" as an ambivalent comment but one of endearment.
What?
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 08:52
I take your point Dean. Smile

Edited by sigod - February 19 2010 at 09:06
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 09:05
Phil's a great man! Together with other members of Brand X he also appeared on BEFORE AND AFTER SCIENCE, and with Eno he appeared on John Cale's HELEN OF TROY. And that's not all: he even played with Elliot Murphy.

Nevertheless, seeing the documentary accompanying Genesis' recent free concert in Rome gave me the impression both Phil AND Tony are jerks. No wonder Steve H. fled their company! (Steve seems a far more likeable chap.)
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 09:10
I don't regard Banks as a jerk, just what he is, namely an extremely talented and shy man brought up in the English public (for that, read private fee paying) school system and probably tainted by the whole experience, as many others have been.

As for Phil, for some people he can never do enough and that topic has probably been done to death on the forum. I like him thoughWink
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 09:12
Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

Phil's a great man! Together with other members of Brand X he also appeared on BEFORE AND AFTER SCIENCE, and with Eno he appeared on John Cale's HELEN OF TROY. And that's not all: he even played with Elliot Murphy.

Nevertheless, seeing the documentary accompanying Genesis' recent free concert in Rome gave me the impression both Phil AND Tony are jerks. No wonder Steve H. fled their company! (Steve seems a far more likeable chap.)

I couldn't agree more fuxi. I honestly believe that during that period, our Mr C was pushing the musical envelope probably more than most in his field of endevour. His work with Eno, Brand X and Gabriel's solo material shows (to my mind at least) that he was an open minded and very capable collaborator.

It might have been interesting to see what Eno could have done with Genesis during the later years. 

Edited by sigod - February 19 2010 at 09:15
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 10:17
Collins has probably collaborated with as many people as Eno himself!

Despite being a lifelong Genesis fan, I cant help feeling that 'we' fans will only ever know half the story, surrounding any internal conflicts, Hacketts departure, and how Banks really felt about Eno's contribution to teh Lamb. Publically, the band have always been tight lipped, and as diplomatic as well groomed politicians, when it comes to Hackett, and any internal rumblings of discontent.

When I first heard the Lamb, I read through the sleeve notes, suspecting someone had been 'assisting' Genesis from the control room. I didn't know much about Eno at the time, but I know he had something to do with 'electronic music' If Banks had an issue with Eno, it was probably down to an adversity to working with anyone outside the band; a kind of bloody minded 'we can do it ourselves' kind of attitude, which I dont think is altogether unhealthy. ELP shared the same attitiude, and seldom (if ever?) had other musicians working alongside them on stage.

The Lamb is a flawed album in terms of its production. John Burns didn't do a great job imo, and yet it remains in my top 3 Genesis albums, purely because of the atmopshere of the whole work. There are stand out tracks, of course, but much of the albums magic, is in the little interludes and short pieces that bridge the 'key' songs, and the short instrumental pieces like 'Hairless Heart' 'Silent Sorrow..' 'Fly on a Windshield' The albums, often overlooked gem, is 'Chamber of 32 Doors' which I feel to be Gabriels finest, and most emotional performance with the band.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 10:20
Originally posted by sigod sigod wrote:

Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

Phil's a great man! Together with other members of Brand X he also appeared on BEFORE AND AFTER SCIENCE, and with Eno he appeared on John Cale's HELEN OF TROY. And that's not all: he even played with Elliot Murphy. Nevertheless, seeing the documentary accompanying Genesis' recent free concert in Rome gave me the impression both Phil AND Tony are jerks. No wonder Steve H. fled their company! (Steve seems a far more likeable chap.)

I couldn't agree more fuxi. I honestly believe that during that period, our Mr C was pushing the musical envelope probably more than most in his field of endevour. His work with Eno, Brand X and Gabriel's solo material shows (to my mind at least) that he was an open minded and very capable collaborator.

It might have been interesting to see what Eno could have done with Genesis during the later years. 

Hi Simon!

Yes, it would have been intersting what Eno could have done with an 80's Genesis. I suspect he would have advised Banks on how to use an Emulator in a slightly less predictable way..

sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 10:28
LOLLOL @ Andy - I'm sure Eno's mercurial practices would have infuriated poor old Mr B but nevertheless, one wonders what Invisible Touch might have sounded like as a result of such a meeting of minds.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 10:28
Have you heard Nick D'Virglio's Rewiring Genesis remake of the Lamb Lies Down On Broadway?  I'm probably somewhat biased since I tend to prefer Spock's Beard over Genesis, but I have found the Rewiring Genesis version to actually be an improvement of the original.  I apologize if this is sacrilege speak to the Lamb worshippers, but that was my feeling after hearing the remade version.  I suppose that Nick had an advantage of more resources and improvements in recording techniques for his recording.
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 10:31
I haven't rushfan4. I should check it out as I'm always keen to hear other artists takes on classic material, especially The Lamb.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 10:59
Originally posted by sigod sigod wrote:

LOLLOL @ Andy - I'm sure Eno's mercurial practices would have infuriated poor old Mr B but nevertheless, one wonders what Invisible Touch might have sounded like as a result of such a meeting of minds.

Indeed it would be interesting. A Banks/Eno project would have been pretty good I reckon. Banks' musiciality blended with Eno's atmospheres, could have been a prog masterpiece..
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 12:14
It could still happen. I'd certainly buy it!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 18:58
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I don't regard Banks as a jerk, just what he is, namely an extremely talented and shy man brought up in the English public (for that, read private fee paying) school system and probably tainted by the whole experience, as many others have been.

As for Phil, for some people he can never do enough and that topic has probably been done to death on the forum. I like him thoughWink

I did say "bit of a jerk".  Another illustrative anecdote I heard, when it was and then there were two, Chester Thompson expressed interest in replacing Collins on drums in the studio and was turned down.  Now either that was Tony or it was Mike or both, in which case all of the notorious three are a bit jerky.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2010 at 08:15
I always assummed that Eno had a much greater involvement on this album than is suggested. That not being the case its understandable that Banks didn't want him to receive a credit.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2010 at 09:34
Its good to read what Eno actually did on Lamb. A 30 year old mystery solved for me, as it wasn't clear on the album sleeve how much his contribution was. I had always suspected it was slight though. I though his contribution was to The Waiting Room actually. I was wrong.
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2010 at 06:16
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Its good to read what Eno actually did on Lamb. A 30 year old mystery solved for me, as it wasn't clear on the album sleeve how much his contribution was. I had always suspected it was slight though. I though his contribution was to The Waiting Room actually. I was wrong.

I was in a similar situation Snow Dog. I too would have had good money on The Waiting Room being a track he might have had an involvement with. That said, I'm only halfway through the book so maybe there are more revelations to come. Smile

Edited by sigod - February 22 2010 at 06:16
Pete A. View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2010 at 22:39
When I splurged for the Genesis 1970-75 Box set(on vinyl), I found it amusing that Eno's" enossification" credit has been removed from the liner notes of LLDOB. Obviously on purpose!!!
Petey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>