Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Most Horrendous Piece of Music Ever Experienced
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMost Horrendous Piece of Music Ever Experienced

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most Horrendous Piece of Music Ever Experienced
    Posted: February 24 2010 at 11:54
So I am currently listening to Naked City's "Leng Tch'e." The title refers to a now banned manner of execution performed in China by slowly slicing bit by bit of flesh off a living victim. The music is an attempt to recreate the event in one 31 minute song. They did a pretty good job recreating the emotion, I think.

In other words, it was the most ghastly listening experience of my life. I don't know what to think. I plan to rate this but what do you say. "I was just artfully tortured, but I'm really not that into torture much." I like dissonance, I like challenging. But this truly was an attempt to recreate a brutal torture. Univers Zero's "Heresie" is nothing compared to this.

So A) what do you think of this kind of stuff? and B) other examples and experiences?
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 12:00
This sounds interesting.  Is it something worth looking into?  Or is it just obnoxious with no musical quality?

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 12:03
What about Throbbing Gristle?  Are they not pretty difficult music?

Does anyone know if they've ever been considered for inclusion here? 

I seem to recall them being listed in the Billboard book, but I'd have to check to be sure. 

Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 12:26
It's hard to say whether it's obnoxious, but it has some musical merit. But it involves sludgy metal, squeaky sax and screaming. But the cast is all star: John Zorn, Fred Frith, Bill Frisell...

I'm listening to Comus' First Utterance to chill out afterwards.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 12:30
Fantomas' Delirium Cordia was my similar experience.  The sound track to a surgery.
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 12:53
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

I'm listening to Comus' First Utterance to chill out afterwards.

LOL

Edited by LinusW - February 24 2010 at 12:53
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 12:58
:S Sounds like some pretty messed up music, that's for sure. I don't know that I would ever listen to it but it has piqued my curiosity at the same time. It seems like an experience like that being added to your repertoire might potentially change the way you look at some things, but it also sounds really harrowing. I would have difficulty rating it too.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 13:26
For those who are curious, the full song is available on lala. I haven't listened to the whole thing because I don't have half an hour, so forgive me if I'm wrong in my assesment of it.

There's plenty of noise musicians who are more brutal than that. GX Jupitter-Larsen apparently just breaks amplified things on stage, you can read the descriptions of every one of his shows on his website, and I recommend you do as they are immensely entertaining. Everybody knows about Merzbow, John Wiese is another contender, and there are lots of others that I don't know about because I'm not into noise. I might even say some Peter Brotzmann (Machine Gun) would make the cut, although he's usually acoustic so it's not quite the same since there's no feedback. AMMMusic might fit the bill as more brutal amplification of instruments, rather than staple guns, but I don't own it so I can't say for sure. Otomo Yoshide has gone ambient in his later days, but I always liked posting this one for shock value, and I think it may have more feedback than Leng Tch'e since Leng Tch'e is bound by the ideals of sludge metal.

Edited by Henry Plainview - February 24 2010 at 13:29
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 13:28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEFHkqLfKiI

Actually watching it makes it seem just stupid.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 13:32

It's just 2 deep 4 u. :P
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 13:35
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

For those who are curious, the full song is available on lala. I haven't listened to the whole thing because I don't have half an hour, so forgive me if I'm wrong in my assesment of it.

There's plenty of noise musicians who are more brutal than that. GX Jupitter-Larsen apparently just breaks amplified things on stage, you can read the descriptions of every one of his shows on his website, and I recommend you do as they are immensely entertaining. Everybody knows about Merzbow, John Wiese is another contender, and there are lots of others that I don't know about because I'm not into noise. I might even say some Peter Brotzmann (Machine Gun) would make the cut, although he's usually acoustic so it's not quite the same since there's no feedback. AMMMusic might fit the bill as more brutal amplification of instruments, rather than staple guns, but I don't own it so I can't say for sure. Otomo Yoshide has gone ambient in his later days, but I always liked posting this one for shock value, and I think it may have more feedback than Leng Tch'e since Leng Tch'e is bound by the ideals of sludge metal.

I'm pretty new to this kind of thing, so those are essentially all new names to me. That clip was entertaining I guess. It's more interesting (and presumably less expensive) than some of the 10 minute Neil Young feedback solos I've endured.

Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 13:46
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

It's just 2 deep 4 u. :P

It may be over or under or around the bend of my head. I've been listening to some post-metal lately and so listening to the Naked City song was still within my realm of understanding. I could still get it in some sense. I certainly didn't enjoy it, but...

Watching those guys scream took away from it for me.
The Runaway View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 14:10
Thanks for the new music people!
Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 14:24
I like the noise aspect of it, but really don't like the vocals.  However I only sampled a small section of it, so it's not a very valid opinion.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 14:52
All Animal Collective albums give me an excrutiating headache, not sure that counts as horrendous.
Bigger on the inside.
Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 23:21
The most horrendous music I've ever heard would probably be something by Trent Garnder. I don't think I could pick a specific song, but "Why Water Weeds?" would definitely be up there.

I think I'd rather listen to someone get their skin peeled off than sit through a whole Magellan album.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2010 at 02:52
Quite a few contenders here:

Lou Reed Metal Machine Music
John Zorn Spy v Spy
John Lennon - Sometime In New York City
Captain Beefheart - Mirror Man
Anybody - Ambient (any old sh*t through a big reverb)
Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2010 at 02:56
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Oh please. That album is easy listening compared to stuff like Merzbow. I put Metal Machine Music on for my dad once and his only complaint was that Lou wasn't singing.

And even the most hardcore noise music is pleasant compared to "Gorilla With A Pitchfork".
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2010 at 02:59
I'm a HUGE John Zorn fan, and even I don't like what I've heard of Naked City (except for the s/t, which is actually a Zorn release - contrary to what our database currently suggests).

I can't think of anything worse than what's been mentioned, but I'm pretty hard to offend. I actually highly enjoy Spy vs. Spy, and would imagine some of John Zorn's other stuff would be worse. (Classic Guide to strategy, etc.)

Edited by Sckxyss - February 25 2010 at 03:06
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2010 at 03:02
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Oh please. That album is easy listening compared to stuff like Merzbow. I put Metal Machine Music on for my dad once and his only complaint was that Lou wasn't singing.

And even the most hardcore noise music is pleasant compared to "Gorilla With A Pitchfork".

I wasn't aware that music capable of putting your aesthetic sensibilities through a blender had become an Olympic event.Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>