Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedELP Appreciation thread !!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 13:47
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 17:15
Thanks for that interview! Nice!
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 17:20
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

An interesting interview with Greg Lake in Rolling Stone that I thought should be shared.  http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/prog-rock-pioneer-greg-lake-punk-is-not-a-form-of-music-its-a-fashion-statement-20130305?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Rollingstone%2FCNN%2FNews+%28RollingStone.com+--+CNN%29

thanks!

a few snippets on the actual creative end of ELP and then why they didn't tour after High Voltage:

By the late Seventies critics really turned on you guys. You became the embodiment of rock excess. Did that perception bother you? 
I think there is truth in the fact that the group was pretentious. You don't make an omelet without cracking eggs. We wanted to try and move things forward and do something new and break boundaries. It was important for us to be original. Certainly the early albums . . . I'm talking now especially about TarkusTrilogy and Brain Salad Surgery. Those records were really great and innovative. There were members of the press that didn't love us, but the public loved us.

I'm very proud of ELP, but it wasn't the journalists that brought down ELP. I think it was ELP themselves. It started to fragment when they made Works Volume 1. It was a good album, but it wasn't ELP. It was Keith Emerson, Greg Lake and Carl Palmer with an orchestra. Well, with three separate orchestras. [Laughs]

The album went platinum, and I can say with all the humility that I can muster that there were some great tracks on the record. But it wasn't a record that reflected the chemistry of ELP. It reflected the individuals apart from each other.  There are some tracks, like "Pirates," for example, which stand up on their own. Leonard Bernstein liked that song a lot. But the truth of it was that Works Volume 1 was the beginning of the end. After that, ELP never made another really innovative record.

ELP played a single concert a couple of summers ago. Why just the one? Why not tour?
I don't know. It frustrates me. Frankly, it takes a lot of energy and determination to reach a playing standard that people expect from a band like ELP. The expectation is very high. People are coming to see the legendary ELP. What do they expect? I'll tell you. They expect to see the band they heard on record or saw on tour in 1974. And now we're 40 years older, and you've got to do it the same. That takes some doing. 
I really wanted to go out and play a world tour. We only got the one show, and after five or six more the band would have been formidable.
Who pulled the plug on doing more?
Keith and Carl didn't want to do it. I don't know why. It's very strange, but there's something about ELP that doesn't work. It used to work, but it doesn't work now. That might change. People do change, of course. I go back to my philosophy of the duty you have to perform for people who have invested not only their money, but a lot of their feelings into your music. I just feel that you should try and give them satisfaction

Edited by richardh - March 05 2013 at 17:21
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 18:51
When they were at their peak, none were better. When they "lost" that certain chemistry, they were awful. Even so, their primo stuff is the best of the genre. IMO, of course.
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 11:52
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

3 - Prog does has a tiny sliver of Jazz and R'n'B in its DNA but is for all intents and purposes unequivocally 'white' music that does not source its development from funk, soul, blues, motown, dance music or basic primal rock and roll. Without wishing to embroil us in undue controversy on an ELP appreciation thread, there is more than ample evidence to suggest that (exclusively white) music journalists in both the UK and USA have always had a covert racist agenda when it comes to bestowing their laurel wreaths on the heads of those they will subsequently decapitate before the month's out.

But even if he did incorporate now-white elements into their music, critics would just say they were "appropriating them"; hence why acts like Led Zeppelin were trashed while others like Captain Beefheart got off the hook.

Also, I'm skeptical about Lake's "Punk is not a form of music" statement. The Stooges, The New York Dolls, The Ramones, The Clash and even The Sex Pistols had some decent stuff. If Lake, on the other hand, was talking about the movement that spawned punk rock, then he hit the nail right on the head. There's more pretension in a Lester Bangs article than in the title track to Tarkus.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 17:31
An ELP fan should like this one.

Harold13 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 23:00
HELL YES!!! Handshake
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 02:54
Funny how people miss the point about ELP as a band. Sorry but that is a desperately dull impression of ELP. At least Triumvirate were fun.
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2014 at 07:34
A new 40th anniversary edition of Brain Salad Surgery was released yerterday - 2 CDs and a DVD.

Disk 1: The original album remastered
Disk 2: The alternate Brain Salad Surgery: other mixes and takes from teh album, plus the Brain Salad Surgery and Apple Blossoms B-sides
DVD: 2014 Super Stereo Brain Salad Surgery remixed by Jakko Jakszyk - plus flac files of both mixes.

I haven't gotten all the way through it yet.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2014 at 20:27
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

A new 40th anniversary edition of Brain Salad Surgery was released yerterday - 2 CDs and a DVD.

Disk 2: The alternate Brain Salad Surgery: other mixes and takes from teh album, plus the Brain Salad Surgery and Apple Blossoms B-sides

DVD: 2014 Super Stereo Brain Salad Surgery remixed by Jakko Jakszyk - plus flac files of both mixes.

Cool! How much was it? You got it from Amazon, I presume?
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2014 at 20:39
It was only $16.99 US at Newbury Comics.
Great chain in Massachusetts. I've known the owner since my record store days. Great guy.
Www.newbury.com if you want to order it from them.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2014 at 23:16

It was only $16.99 US at Newbury Comics.
Great chain in Massachusetts. I've known the owner since my record store days. Great guy.
Www.newbury.com if you want to order it from them.

Ah, yes, familiar with the name. Have never had the pleasure of visiting their store. I hear it's really cool. Good price on that, too!
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 16:59
I've listen to the first two CDs so far.
Disk 1 I believe is from a previous remix, but I can't be certain.

Disk 2 is misleading.  Most of the tracks say "alternate version" whisch should differentiate them from the ones that say "different mix".  But they don't sound like alternate takes.  Just slightly different mixes - mostly the piano tracks come through more that the original.

There is a "different version" of Karn Evil 9 - 3rd Impression, that sounds like an early take on the piece, when Greg and Carl hadn't yet worked out their parts.  That's the only track that rings true to the liner notes statement that disk 2 shows how the pieces evolved. 

The Brain Salad Surgery is the original version, not the updated one on Works 2.  This has been released on previous editions, but the mix here, especially that stomach dropping bass synth swoop, is the best I've heard it. 

I'll be listening to the new mix soon.

RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 12:42

3 - Prog does has a tiny sliver of Jazz and R'n'B in its DNA but is for all intents and purposes unequivocally 'white' music that does not source its development from funk, soul, blues, motown, dance music or basic primal rock and roll. Without wishing to embroil us in undue controversy on an ELP appreciation thread, there is more than ample evidence to suggest that (exclusively white) music journalists in both the UK and USA have always had a covert racist agenda when it comes to bestowing their laurel wreaths on the heads of those they will subsequently decapitate before the month's out 

Oh yes - the irony!
Emerson's organ playing is so deeply rooted in Jimmy Smith's blues/jazz style it's incredible. Smith and Emerson are two of my all-time favorite musicians, and they both wore their influences on their sleeves very proudly.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 14:10
Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

3 - Prog does has a tiny sliver of Jazz and R'n'B in its DNA but is for all intents and purposes unequivocally 'white' music that does not source its development from funk, soul, blues, motown, dance music or basic primal rock and roll. Without wishing to embroil us in undue controversy on an ELP appreciation thread, there is more than ample evidence to suggest that (exclusively white) music journalists in both the UK and USA have always had a covert racist agenda when it comes to bestowing their laurel wreaths on the heads of those they will subsequently decapitate before the month's out 
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;"></span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">Oh yes - the irony!</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">Emerson's organ playing is so deeply rooted in Jimmy Smith's blues/jazz style it's incredible. Smith and Emerson are two of my all-time favorite musicians, and they both wore their influences on their sleeves very proudly.</span>

Keith's recalling of his presence at a Jimmy Smith set in a small downtown club (later in the night after ELP had played a large venue) is legendary. Apparently Keith really "stuck out" and chose to not remain for the entire set, but the guy was one of Keith's heroes and he wanted to make the effort to see him.

Smith's live CD Root Down is absolutely essential if you love that organ and if you love good music, period.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 20:35
I appreciate ELP.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 01:03
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.2;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">Oh yes - the irony!</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">Emerson's organ playing is so deeply rooted in Jimmy Smith's blues/jazz style it's incredible. Smith and Emerson are two of my all-time favorite musicians, and they both wore their influences on their sleeves very proudly.</span>

Keith's recalling of his presence at a Jimmy Smith set in a small downtown club (later in the night after ELP had played a large venue) is legendary. Apparently Keith really "stuck out" and chose to not remain for the entire set, but the guy was one of Keith's heroes and he wanted to make the effort to see him.

Smith's live CD Root Down is absolutely essential if you love that organ and if you love good music, period.

Go that on orderThumbs Up
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 01:06

I understand that the DVD does contain audio stuff only, no video, right?

For what you say I'm afraid that even as an ELP fan I'm not gonna spend my euros on this one...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 01:15
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I understand that the DVD does contain audio stuff only, no video, right?

For what you say I'm afraid that even as an ELP fan I'm not gonna spend my euros on this one...

I don't blame you although to be fair the 3 disc package is quite nice and the alternative instrumental versions of KE9 3rd Impression are a must have for fans.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 02:02
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Go that on orderThumbs Up

Let us know when you spin it. It's a monster!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>