Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen were you infected by Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 25>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 16:33
My dad gave my brother Rush's  All The World's A Stage CD. He didn't like it much but I loved it. Then I was given a Best Of Jethro Tull CD. I also bought Pink Floyd WYWH and Rush In Rio. One of my friends in high school gave me some more Rush to listen to as well as introducing me to this site. My grandfather gave me a hard drive full of mp3 vinyl rips and there were quite a few classic prog bands on there and thus I became a prog fan.

This happened around 2004/5.  

Edited by progismylife - February 25 2011 at 16:34
MasoTMN View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 16:34
My parents are big prog. rock fans so I was mostly raised on it and always enjoyed it, but I remember really getting into prog. when I started playing guitar, when I was 13. It started with Yes, Tales from Topographic Oceans, particularly that my mom would listen to in the car when she drove my sister and me to school. Revealing Science of God made a huge, huge impression on me, and to this day, it's one of my favorite tracks, can't get enough of it. When the parents noticed I was enjoying the stuff, they quickly followed up with Genesis, Pink Floyd and King Crimson. Been addicted to prog. since and I've never had thoughts of quitting!
TMN - Too Many Notes, stream the whole album for free on Soundclick
http://www.soundclick.com/tmntoomanynotes
http://www.facebook.com/tmnproject
Porcupinetheater View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2011 at 21:43
Way back when I was 13, I actually came across the Blackwater Park album in my dad's vast CD collection, and I thought the name was cool, so I decided to listen to it. From then on, I couldn't get my hands on enough progressive material. My dad had actually showed me some stuff like Yes and Tool before that point, but it wasn't until my first Opeth experience that I actually started to really enjoy it beyond more than a passing appreciation.
Dean Watson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 14:37
I know, I'm old, my  brother brought home a copy of Todd Rundgren's A Wizard a True Star - made me sit right in front of our big stereo console and listen to the whole thing...

Everything changed for me right at that point.
Find me at:
http://deanwatson.bandcamp.com/
www.soundcloud.com/dean-watson
http://www.cdbaby.com/Search/RGVhbiBXYXRzb24%3d/0
Phulax-Wolfgang View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 14:49
This weird 6th Former who had hair like an aging prog fan, thin and full of dandruff. He decided to befriend me when I was in year 7 (11/12), this was about September 2006 onwards. He had his laptop and he was playing Echoes, that seagull effect made me shiver! He gave me plenty of Floyd files, which I listened to intently. I loved these along with Led Zeppelin, Motörhead, Iron Maiden and Metallica until August 2009 when I downloaded the Prog Rock Britannia documentary from the BBC and I dropped Metallica, Iron Maiden and Motörhead for the cape-wearing, organ-vaulting delights of Prog! And my 'quest' has continued ever since.
'If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Isaac Newton
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 23:11
Oh well, mine one was a rather... progressive story. When I was a kid, I even said I didn't like music... as a matter of fact I just wasn't interested. Perhaps because I hadn't heard much music that would be fit for me. Then, at about High School, I started listening to some cassettes my mother had of 70's and 80's pop, and listening to MTV (by then, though it mainly had pop, at least the songs they chose weren't as bad as I undertand they are now) and then started collecting songs which I recorded on cassettes.

Then, several things happened, which I don't totally remember in which order. However, first, I started getting an interest in Pink Floyd, and started getting CD's from them. A friend from High School lent me some casettes from them, as well as from Alan Parsons Project (later on, I recored some vinyls an aunt had from Parsons first two albums, which are my favourite... and now I have all Parsons CD's myself), and she had some weird Cassette she wasn't sure where it came from, nor exactly what it was, but though was interesting... well, it was Myths and Legends from Rick Wakeman, which took me a while to get to appreciate, but now is among my favourite albums. Also, my grandmother had several vinyls which I started looking into, among which she specially recomended "Hamburger Concerto", by Focus, which I really got to like too; from her, I also heard "Si On Avait Besoin D'un Cinquieme Saison", by Harmonium (which it seems she hadn't paid much attention to it), which I also like pretty much. From her I also got to hear to Yes's Relayer, and Jethro Tull's Live Bursting Out, but I didn't pay much attention to them at the time (now, of course, I really like them). And then, because of Rick Wakeman, I got some interest on Yes, and it was while looking for information about Yes albums, and their solo discography too, that I found Prog Archives, and has been a great source of information, and it was at about this time that I knew that the kind of music I had been getting into, and which I really loved so much, was Prog Rock. Now, I have got most of the albums of the already mentioned bands, plus many others which I have come to know, mainly thanks to this site... and I still feel like a newbie to this wonderful and vast genre.
El Pollo Guerrera View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 01:11
My 'infection' happened quite recently, considering my age (40)...

Several years ago, the local magazine shop/convenience store started bringing in music mags from Britain with CDs on the cover.  I actually started with MixMag, then moved on to Classic Rock and Metal Hammer.  One of the first CR's I picked up had a CD with Porcupine Tree, Spock's Beard, Fish and Frost*, and a month or so later was a MH CD with Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater and Opeth.

The first modern prog CD I went out and bought was Frost* "Milliontown", and that's where it started.

Thing is, my brother and sisters used to listen to Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, etc. in the 70's and early 80's...  the music was around but I never really listened to it.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 06:26
2008 probably. 
Valentino View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 08:27
Heart of the Sunrise. 
MoodyRush View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 20:45
First post ever!! Anyways... My first two exposures were when my dad bought a cd of Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick and that my family owned the Time Traveler Compilation of the Moody Blues. I proceeded to purchase many full Moody Blues albums. Having mostly listened to classic rock (despite being a 90's child), I decided to look up Rush for some odd reason. Rush led to Yes, which led to Gentle Giant (and this site), and now I'm hooked! I've even been to a Rush concert!!
halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 21:42
when was I not infected by progHug

assume the power 1586/14.3
PinkFloydManiac1973 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2011 at 11:24
Hahaha that seems to be a widely-held opinion by music critics, that Muse will bring a new wave of prog popularity on the charts.  I doubt that the "Twilight"-crazed girls as a whole will dig it, but maybe their boyfriends who grudgingly go along with them to those movies will find Muse's music somewhat worth the agony of sparkling vampires. XD  Interestingly enough I have trouble listening to Muse nowadays because it reminds me too much of the drama of artsy high school girls to enjoy the music itself.

Anyway, my first exposure to experimental/art music was with The Beatles' mid-60s albums, but my first true prog experience was with Pink Floyd.  I was hanging out with my Dad one weekend when I was 11 or 12 and he put on a copy of "Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd" on.  All it took was "Astronomy Domine" to get me hooked -- and it just seemed to get better and better as it went on.  I was blown away at the idea that you could go so far beyond the basics of rock that you heard on the radio at the time and incorporate all these different sounds and techniques.  From there I explored everything PF had to offer and to this day they are still my favorite prog band of all time (and the only group to rival The Beatles as my favorite band of all time).

Around the same time I was also listening to '80s Genesis and Peter Gabriel, and then I went back and fell in love with '70s Genesis.  I stopped at that for some reason until my sophomore year of high school.  Then I got into Yes, King Crimson, ELP.....I can't even count how many bands I was listening to by the end of 12th grade.  Now I'm a freshmen in college and I've explored bands from other parts of Europe (thanks to Eloy) as well as newer prog acts (just listened to Anglagard's "Hybris" and was incredibly impressed).

Not as unusual a story as some but it's one of my fondest memories.
"The lunatic is on the grass..."
StarMan2112 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 14:50
Im 14 And I Was Infected with prog when a i was about 12 because i started listening to a lot of rush (wich is my
 favourite band since then) and i wanted to hear more music like that so i started exploring more and more....... LISTEN
 TO THE ARGENTINIAN PROG BAND SERU GIRAN ITS AMAZING  

Lappy57 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 02:15
I'd say it was 1982, I was in high school when I started to scrounge used record stores in Chicago for .75 cent records - Pink Floyd was my gateway group then Genesis, ELP, Yes, King Crimson . . . .  In the early 80s i was able to see Yes, Genesis, Rush, solo's of Roger Waters (w/ Eric Clapton) and David Gilmore. The highlight concernt was King Crimson summer of 84, my two high school friends and I were the youngest people at the concert, the old dudes (people my age now 44) thought we were real cool for being Crimson fans wearing black concert t-shirts with cover of ITCOTCK on it . . . .  What was odd about my prog journey was that I missed out on the whole Canterbury Scene when I was in high school.  
Tamogen View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 23:52
Simple.  On my second listening of CLOSE TO THE EDGE by Yes.  The whole album that is.  The first listening I wasn't quite sure what I had just listened to.  But, the second listen brought tears to my eyes (quite literally) and I was then hooked.  Of course I didn't no it as progressive, or anything else, at the time. Heart I just loved it!

This then started an avalanche of listening experiences, from ELP (Brain Salad Surgery, Trilogy, Tarkus), Genesis (Selling England by the Pound, Nursery Cryme, Trick of the Tail), everything from YES.  I though Tales from Topographic Oceans was a milestone.  But my contempories just didn't get it and thought it stank.  This I consider to still be a landmark work approaching that of tyhe Close to the Edge album.  The came King Crimson.  Pink Floyd (early albums influenced by founder Barret and the transition period with Gilmour).

At the time I was playing in a Rock band.  But nobody else seemed to "get" progressive rock although there were some close influences on some of the other band members.  Artists like Wishbone Ash were appreciated by these other musos.  However they did not really realise that these were bordering on a "progressively influenced" type of music anyway.

My love of progressive music has never stopped or stayed in "the past".  Current artists like Dream Theater Hug, Steve Wilson (Porcupine Tree) Heart, are right at the top of my list.  Transatlantic??? Not sure about the "religious" undertones wrapped in environmental acceptability.  However, inventive and great music with a symphonic pattern.

The key for me is in the use of the "symphonic" scale of the music.  In the sense of the music being thematic and revisits and recapitulates in the way the great "classical" symphonies did.  I think this is the essence of great progressive rock music.  Pieces must therefore be quite long and not just songs.  Yet they still have the elements of songs within them.  The music must also bring in new (hence progressive) ways of constructing the music around themes and or "concepts" to be truly progressive.  I just love the really good stuff.
Jozef View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 00:18
I'd say I was "infected" at an early age. My father always listened to bands like Pink Floyd, Yes, Jethro Tull, and Genesis. I inherited my love for progressive rock from him and then when I was 19, I really started to explore the genre and discover bands such as Camel, King Crimson, Caravan, and many others. 

Pastor Rex Cat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 00:22
The Moody Blues "In Search Of The Lost Chord" back in 1967 or '68.
And why not add a second one which is King Crimson "Lizard" when the 1970s had just arrived.
http://revbookburn.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/rexcat
http://www.myspace.com/prxcat

Greetings! And Welcome to The Global Internet Church of Prog!
Hail the Prog and Praise "Bob"!
sondresae View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 06:25
Hmm, I think it started with Muse... "Knights of Cydonia" if I remember correctly. Tongue Then, after being a big Muse fan for a year or so, I got into Radiohead and Mew. My guitar teacher is also a prog fan, so he showed some Van der Graaf and King Crimson, and then I got into Genesis, Yes, Rush, U.K. and all the like. Smile
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 19:40
i was gradually exposed to prog during 2004/2005, until during the summer of '05 when I discovered this site and the word "Prog" and realized I was already listening to stuff that was considered "prog". Once I found this site I explored so much new and exciting music and I havent looked back. I owe 90% of my music tastes to this site, whether it's music that is listed on this site or not.
kub View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2011 at 02:26
Probably, when I was firstly listening to VDGG's Pawn Hearts. I promptly develop passion for epic, dark and mystical thoughts. Hammill gave me a new sensibility and reveal me exciting world of nearly uknown poets and musicians. This was the beginning of my interest in progressive rock music. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 25>