FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYour Progressive Biography

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your Progressive Biography
    Posted: April 16 2010 at 01:56
All credit for this thread must go to Epignosis, as he gave me the idea.

Copy, fill out, enjoy.

------------------------------------------------

The first album you bought -
The first album you loved -
The moment you discovered that you loved Prog -
Favourite drinking album -
Favourite relaxing album -
An album that makes you emotional -
An Album you would play to someone who doesn't know or enjoy Prog -
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play? -
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play to annoy the other patrons? -
Rarest Album/EP/Single (or version of) you own -
Favourite guilty pleasure album -
Are you a Music Elitist? -

Edited by Any Colour You Like - April 16 2010 at 01:56
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 02:04
The first album you bought - Meddle, Pink Floyd
Dark Side of The Moon, Pink Floyd
When those clocks went off during "Time" for the first time
Terria, Devin Townsend
Up the Downstair, Porcupine Tree
Judgement, Anathema
Lightbulb Sun, Porcupine Tree
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play? -
Kind of Blue, Miles Davis
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play to annoy the other patrons? -
Chaosphere, Meshuggah
Japanese Pressing of PT's Up the Downstair
What's The Story Morning Glory, Oasis
Yes, well maybe depends on the person I'm dealing with.

Edited by Any Colour You Like - April 16 2010 at 04:31
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 02:06
The first album you bought - I don't remember
The first album you loved - Dark Side of the Moon
The moment you discovered that you loved Prog - Dark Side of the Moon
Favourite drinking album - I dunno
Favourite relaxing album - Kind of Blue
An album that makes you emotional - I dunno
An Album you would play to someone who doesn't know or enjoy Prog - Rush of Floyd, nothing specific
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play? - Sketches in Spain
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play to annoy the other patrons? - Metal Machine Music
Rarest Album/EP/Single (or version of) you own - Um, none?
Favourite guilty pleasure album - I dunno
Are you a Music Elitist? - no

I'll quote myself and edit later to fill in some I dunno's and probably change most things, I am tired and I just read the name Miles Davis so that's all I can think of. LOL
billy bob weible View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 02:14
The first album you bought - black sabbath - parinoid
The first album you loved - black sabbath- parinoid
The moment you discovered that you  loved Prog - when someone pointed out that 50% of my favorite bands were prog
Favourite drinking album - i quit drinking 
Favourite relaxing album - pink floyd - animals
An album that makes you emotional - nine inch nails - and all that could have been (still)
An Album you would play to someone who doesn't know or enjoy Prog - king crimson - discipline
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play? - lovage - music to make love to your old lady by
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play to annoy the other patrons? - CRASS - ANY ALBUM
Rarest Album/EP/Single (or version of) you own - I own an original pressing of the dwarves - tooling for a warm teabag
Favourite guilty pleasure album - hole - live through this
Are you a Music Elitist? sometimes but not often ( i live in the mid-western united states... all the radio stations are country western/ pop, its hard not to be a little)
"How I wish that the world had just one throat and my fingers were around it"- idiot flesh
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 03:05
The first album you bought - Pink Floyd - The Wall
The first album you loved - Yes - Fragile
The moment you discovered that you loved Prog - When I heard King Crimson's "Letters"
Favourite drinking album - I don't drink.
Favourite relaxing album - I don't relax.
An album that makes you emotional - David Sylvian - Gone to Earth
An Album you would play to someone who doesn't know or enjoy Prog - Peter Gabriel 4
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play? - Chet Baker Sings
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play to annoy the other patrons? - Merzbow - Pulse Demon
Rarest Album/EP/Single (or version of) you own - some limited editions, but not anything really rare
Favourite guilty pleasure album - recently: Offspring - Smash
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 04:29
The first album you bought - Both Massive Attack's Mezzanine and Oasis' (What's The Story) Morning Glory, sometime back in 1998
The first album you loved - Led Zeppelin I
The moment you discovered that you loved Prog - Seeing Live In Pompeii
Favourite drinking album - I don't need musical excuses to drink Big smile
Favourite relaxing album - Cool jazz a la Miles, chilling Cafe del Mar electro stuff or some indie-pop
An album that makes you emotional - Dark Side OF The Moon
An Album you would play to someone who doesn't know or enjoy Prog - Live In Pompeii
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play? - Kind Of Blue
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play to annoy the other patrons? - I wouldn't do that
Rarest Album/EP/Single (or version of) you own - Kumm's 10 ani (an unreleased anniversary box with unreleased material)
Favourite guilty pleasure album - If it's pleasure then it's not guilty
Are you a Music Elitist? - Not any more
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 10:51
The first album you bought - Alux Nahual - Leyenda, in 1999
The first album you loved - Awake - Dream Theater
The moment you discovered that you loved Prog - Right in the middle of Carolina IV - Angra
Favourite drinking album - I don't drink... with prog... but I would say Metallica, And Justice for All
Favourite relaxing album - Alux Nahual, Centroamérica
An album that makes you emotional - Falling into Infinity, Dream Theater
An Album you would play to someone who doesn't know or enjoy Prog - Awake of Dream Theater or anything of Oceansize.
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play? - Ranferí Aguilar, De Paises y Estrellas
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play to annoy the other patrons? - both albums of Diablo Swing Orchestra
Rarest Album/EP/Single (or version of) you own - Radio Promo of Alux Nahual single "Con Todas tus Fuerzas"
Favourite guilty pleasure album - Both albums of Savage Garden. Embarrassed
Are you a Music Elitist? - (just like Alex said) Not any more

Edited by jampa17 - April 16 2010 at 10:53
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 11:22
Originally posted by Any Colour You Like Any Colour You Like wrote:

All credit for this thread must go to Epignosis, as he gave me the idea.

It's nice to get credit for doing something I don't really remember doing, instead of getting chastised for doing something I don't really remember doing.  LOL

Let's see here...

The first album you bought - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Greatest Hits; first prog- Kansas, The Best of Kansas
The first album you loved - For the longest time, I never listened to albums, just tracks. The exception to this would be Boston's debut- I wore out my dad's 8-track tape of it.
The moment you discovered that you loved Prog - Riding through the West Virginian mountains and listening to "Miracles Out of Nowhere."  I believe I was 15.
Favourite drinking album - Jethro Tull's A Passion Play or Miles Davis' Kind of Blue
Favourite relaxing album - David Gilmour's On an Island or Miles Davis' Kind of Blue
An album that makes you emotional - The Decemberist's The Hazards of Love or Castaways and Cutouts
An Album you would play to someone who doesn't know or enjoy Prog - Echolyn's The End is Beautiful
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play? - Norah Jones' Come Away With Me
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play to annoy the other patrons? - Done this several times but only in the course of entertaining myself, mind you (Wyatting, at it's called, I believe)- for this I will go with Yes's Close to the Edge
Rarest Album/EP/Single (or version of) you own - No idea- probably one of the albums from some of the bands I associated with and jammed with years ago (one of which came from the late Frank Hardwick).
Favourite guilty pleasure album - Back in Black by Amy Winehouse, but I could have answered this a hundred different ways
Are you a Music Elitist? - No sir.

The Runaway View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 11:55

The first album you bought - Dark Side of the Moon
The moment you discovered that you loved Prog - When I first played Aqualung on Rock Band LOL
Favourite drinking album - I love drinking coke to a lot of things!
Favourite relaxing album - Part the Second by maudlin of the Well or Islands by King Crimson
An album that makes you emotional - Argus by Wishbone Ash. EDIT: HOW COULD I FORGET THE HAZARDS OF LOVE?!? It's the only album to make me cry (emphasis on album).
An Album you would play to someone who doesn't know or enjoy Prog - The Power and the Glory LOL
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play? - Lou Reed, maybe.
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play to annoy the other patrons? - In the Land of Grey and Pink. It annoys other people, and the girl I love loves it.
Rarest Album/EP/Single (or version of) you own - Gong's 2032 LE vinyl, that's sold out, and only had 1,000 copies, with signatures of Steve Hillage, Daevid Allen, and Miquette Giraudy.
Favourite guilty pleasure album - Not an album, but either Burnin' Up by Jonas Brothers or 7 Things I Hate About you by Miley Cyrus.
Are you a Music Elitist? - MOAR THAN THATTTTTTT

Edited by Blowin Free - April 16 2010 at 12:04
Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 12:09
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

The first album you bought - Close to the Edge (first album I bought on my own, IIRC)
The moment you discovered that you loved Prog - Dark Side of the Moon
Favourite drinking album - I don't drink, but if I did it would probably be Kind of Blue again.
Favourite relaxing album - Kind of Blue
An album that makes you emotional - Hazards of Love
An Album you would play to someone who doesn't know or enjoy Prog - Rush of Floyd, nothing specific
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play? - Moonmadness I dunno why.
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play to annoy the other patrons? - Metal Machine Music
Rarest Album/EP/Single (or version of) you own - I don't own anything rare
Favourite guilty pleasure album - I don't feel guilty listening to music I like.

Updated version.
The Runaway View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 13:05
Thanks Rob, for mentioning HoL!
Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 13:43
The first album you bought - The Move ~ s/t
The first album you loved - The Moody Blues ~ Every Good Boy Deserves Favour
The moment you discovered that you loved Prog - probably listening to A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers around a friends house back in 1971.
Favourite drinking album - ??? ... never equated the two - I'll pick Meddle for the want of something to put.
Favourite relaxing album - The Cacophony Of Light ~ The Gaia Cacophony
An album that makes you emotional - Nine Inch Nails ~ The Downward Spiral
An Album you would play to someone who doesn't know or enjoy Prog - Pink Floyd ~ Dark Side Of The Moon
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play? - David Bowie ~ Hunky Dory
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play to annoy the other patrons? - Yes ~ Relayer
Rarest Album/EP/Single (or version of) you own - Kaleidoscope ~ A Tangerine Dream (vinyl)
Favourite guilty pleasure album - Buck's Fizz ~ Greatest Hits
Are you a Music Elitist? - Nope.

Edited by Dean - April 16 2010 at 13:44
What?
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 13:50
The first album you bought - Uhh, a Smash Mouth album I think.  Embarrassed  As far as prog goes, I believe it was Pink Floyd's Animals.
Primus - Sailing the Seas of Cheese
When I first played King Crimson's Discipline
Favourite drinking album - I don't drink.
Anything by Magma.
Emehntehtt-Re, by Magma, or Live/Hhai by them.
It all depends on what kind of stuff they listen to already and whether or not I want them to like prog. LOL
Sketches of Spain, Miles Davis
Koenjihyakkei's Viva Koenji!
Magma's Studio Zund, maybe some of my Soleil Zeuhl albums.
Erm...maybe the Violent Femmes' greatest hits album?  I don't hardly listen anymore, though.
It depends on who I'm talking to.

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2010 at 08:44
Great THRRREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first album you bought - Replicas - Gary Numan
The first album you loved - Kiss Alive
The moment you discovered that you loved Prog - Pink Floyd as simple as that - they changed my life esp DSOTM and Wall
Favourite drinking album - I do not drink
Favourite relaxing album - Transatlantic SMPTe
An album that makes you emotional - Ziltoid The Omniscient by Devin Townsend
An Album you would play to someone who doesn't know or enjoy Prog - The Human Equation by Ayreon
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play? - One by Neal Morse
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play to annoy the other patrons? - Ziltoid The Omniscient by Devin Townsend
Rarest Album/EP/Single (or version of) you own - Red Vinyl copy of Gary Numan EP Vol 1, and Picture Disc Vinyl of Runaways' 'Little Lost Girls'
Favourite guilty pleasure album - 'No lImits' by 2 Unlimited or Suzi Quatro greatest Hits or Sweet Fanny Albums by The Sweet - in fact anything by those artists.
Are you a Music Elitist? - I am a connoiseur whatever that is... Prog is everything to me though
thx for listening

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - April 17 2010 at 08:54
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2010 at 18:13
The first album you bought - Iron Maiden, "Powerslave" - in 1992.
The first album you loved - Hmmm... Deep Purple, "Machine Head"? Heavy Metal OST?
The moment you discovered that you loved Prog - Around 1993, after listening to Mike Oldfield, Yes and ELP.
Favourite drinking album - Pogues, "Rum, Sodomy and the Lash"
Favourite relaxing album - Girlschool, "Take A Bite"
An album that makes you emotional - Fela Kuti, "Powershow" / Kate Bush, "Hounds of Love"
An Album you would play to someone who doesn't know or enjoy Prog - Yes, "Fragile" / Genesis, "Nursery Cryme"
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play? - whatever she/he wants to hear - as long it's not Lady Gaga!
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play to annoy the other patrons? - my own mixtape of Brötzmann/Zorn/Carcass/Napalm Death/80's kids TV shows mash-up.
Rarest Album/EP/Single (or version of) you own - It must be Camembert, "EP" / Familha Artus, "Maxi" / Michel Chion, "Gloria" / erikM, "Frame".
Favourite guilty pleasure album - Misftis, "American Psycho" / Any good French 80's heavy-metal band.
Are you a Music Elitist? - Well, read above.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2010 at 18:25
The first album you bought - Fragile
The first album you loved - Yessongs was my first that made the sky open up
The moment you discovered that you loved Prog - "roundabout sounding out, love you so, love you so...."
Favourite drinking album - Minutemen - Double Nickels
Favourite relaxing album -  Oldfield
An album that makes you emotional - The Kick Inside-Kate Bush
An Album you would play to someone who doesn't know or enjoy Prog - In Absentia
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play? - Opus Avantra - Strata
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play to annoy the other patrons? - Jacula
Favourite guilty pleasure album - The Grand Illusion
Are you a Music Elitist? -  I'd like to be, but I still enjoy "99 luftballoons" and Styx's "Babe", so the Elitist Guild won't let me in.

Edited by Finnforest - April 17 2010 at 18:25

The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2010 at 18:32
The first album you bought - Yes - Close to the Edge
The first album you loved - Focus - Focus 3
The moment you discovered that you loved Prog - The moment I searched for Focus on the internet and saw the words "progressive rock" plastered on every site I found!
Favourite drinking album - I don't drink. Music is my drug of choice.
Favourite relaxing album - Can - Future Days
An album that makes you emotional - Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
An Album you would play to someone who doesn't know or enjoy Prog - Depends on the kind of music they like, but sooner or later I'd probably stick some Cardiacs on.
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play? - Jean-Pierre Massiera - Les Maledictus Sound
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play to annoy the other patrons? - Jean-Pierre Massiera - Les Maledictus Sound
Rarest Album/EP/Single (or version of) you own - Cardiacs - Ditzy Scene (limited edition of 1000)
Favourite guilty pleasure album - I'm not ashamed of my musical tastes.
Are you a Music Elitist? - Used to be. Now (mostly) reformed.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2010 at 18:35
The first album you bought - King Crimson - Discipline
The first album you loved - KC - Discipline
The moment you discovered that you loved Prog - Hmm...tough call. I guess as I continued through KC's discog...which really isn't a moment. It happened more gradually.
Favourite drinking album - I usually don't drink and listen to music.
An album that makes you emotional - VDGG - Godbluff/H To He..., PT - Stupid Dream
An Album you would play to someone who doesn't know or enjoy Prog - I made a mixed cd for someone as like an introduction to prog...but I suppose something a bit mellow...like Genesis' Foxtrot or Moody Blues' Days Of Future Passed. Somehing in the canterbury field probably would work too.
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play? - Depends if I was there to talk to the other person or to listen to the music. To just throw one out there...Soft Machine - Vol II
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play to annoy the other patrons? - Merzbow...any album really. In the prog realm...Present, 5uus, Ulver's first or third, other RIO or extreme metal.
Rarest Album/EP/Single (or version of) you own - Pfft. No Idea.
Favourite guilty pleasure album - Anything by A Flock Of Seagulls. In the prog world...idk. Don't thikn of prog as a guilty pleasure.
Are you a Music Elitist? - More likely than not.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Tsevir Leirbag View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2010 at 20:28
The first album you bought - Nirvana's In Utero
The first album you loved (that much) - Univers Zero's Univers Zero
The moment you discovered that you loved Prog - First time I heard Meddle
Favourite relaxing album - Hancock's Sextant or GY!BE's Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada
An album that makes you emotional - VDGG's Still Life or Shub Niggurath's Les Morts vont vite
An Album you would play to someone who doesn't know or enjoy Prog - Magma's Mekanďk Destruktďw Kömmandöh LOL
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play? - The Dave Brubeck Quartet's Time Out or Miles Davis' Ascenseur pour l'échaffaud or even Satie's Trois Gymonpédies 
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play to annoy the other patrons? - Univers Zero's Hérésie
Rarest Album/EP/Single (or version of) you own - Zaar's Zaar, Miriodor's Miriodor and Shub Niggurath's Les Morts vont vite
Favourite guilty pleasure album - n/a
Are you a Music Elitist? - I don't think I am.
Les mains, les pieds balancés
Sur tant de mers, tant de planchers,
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2010 at 21:43
The first album you bought - hmm, first real prog album...think it was We're Only In It For the Money - Frank Zappa
The first album you loved - DSOTM - Pink Floyd
The moment you discovered that you loved Prog - don't know that you discover prog in a moment but the road to discovery started with hearing Frank Zappa's Montana on the radio
Favourite drinking album - I don't drink but if I did I'd be listening to Johnny Cash, not prog
Favourite relaxing album - On An Island - David Gilmour
An album that makes you emotional - assume you mean "weepy" emotional to which I can say that there is no prog album that does that to me.  Cash's American V: A Hundred Highways will do that to me though.
An Album you would play to someone who doesn't know or enjoy Prog - Lizard - King Crimson (might as well dive in the deep end, either they swim or they drown)
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play? - idk, Days of Futures Past? I don't understand romance.
You are having dinner in a fancy restaurant with your partner, what album would you play to annoy the other patrons? - We're Only In It For the Money - Frank Zappa
Rarest Album/EP/Single (or version of) you own - I have no idea what, if any, albums I own are rare.  Happy with my recent Weasels Ripped My Flesh! purchase though
Favourite guilty pleasure album - considering I'm know for pretty much hating all things metal: b*****ds - Motorhead
Are you a Music Elitist? - I'd say that I'm right and if you disagree then that's fine, even though you are wrong *smiley face* (it is no longer safe to go to the emoticon screen with that awful, seizure inducing headbanger in there)

Time always wins.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>