FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElitism in Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 19:56
Moshkito, I believe that despite our strong differences (And we have strong ones) boo boo and I have managed to keep a decent debate without attacking each one, only defending our positions.

His perspective of elitism is different to mine and probably different to your's, we will never agree completely, but we can explore all the possibilities.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 10 2010 at 20:26

A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 20:02
I think a thread about sampling would be interesting. 
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 20:13
Originally posted by Stonebolt Stonebolt wrote:

This thread has made me think, if you play a guitar in front of a group of 11 and 12 year olds, they're always like, "dude, play the hardest thing you know, the hardest thing you know!"
Why aren't all those kids listening to prog? Confused

Yeah, I know! It's like they always say that their punk and grunge bands are too simplistic and repetitive. We're standing right here, saying 'Join the Prog club, kids! You're welcome, if you want us, really!'  The logical next step for kids who grow bored of repetition in pop music is to discover more challenging music, including prog.
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 23:10
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

You know what is saddest in this thread?

We haven't really helped each other clear up the elitism idea ... it's always "I'm right and you're wrong", and everyone has an opinion.

In essence, it's very zen, we just don't accept it. We're all around the same tree but since we can not be in each other's shoes, we're always next to someone else, what we see is NOT the same thing ... even though there is only one TREE!

So, all you guys ... if you are all planning on helping "prog" or "progressive" put its name in the books, at least have some respect for each other's opinions and be more helpful in making sure that we can come up with a concensus instead of just jibberish by people being upset and disappointed that all we can do is disagree.

We're really showing how good and intelligent we are.

Please. Make prog as good as you want it to be. And that includes your friends here!

I'm with you. And, in some ways, this thread demonstrates one of the main reasons prog will most likely remain as obscure as it is now. Prog fans are very divided and particular about which aspects of this genre they will support, even if it is to the detriment of the artists whose music they love.

I saw a thread at PE a while ago where several people were whining about the results of the 2009 DPRP poll, saying that there was no love for avant bands there, only neo-prog and symphonic. I asked if any of them voted in the poll, and they scoffed at the idea of participating in such a thing.

What do you suppose drives that kind of thinking? It is elitism in its worst form - there are those that take such pleasure in being a part of a small group, they wouldn't dare write emails to fellow avant fans and encourage them to support the kind of groups they like, or post a link on their Facebook page to draw attention to their oft-underrated favorite bands - they quite literally said that this sort of thing was below them!

This is not, in any way, a generalization of avant fans, I believe that many of the subgenres have large groups of fans guilty of this behavior - there are plenty of avant fans here on PA that are happy to recommend and support their favorite artists. In fact, as much as we argue here, I do think that PA is the least elitist of all the prog communities...

Edited by jplanet - May 10 2010 at 23:28
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 00:06
Originally posted by jplanet jplanet wrote:

I'm with you. And, in some ways, this thread demonstrates one of the main reasons prog will most likely remain as obscure as it is now. Prog fans are very divided and particular about which aspects of this genre they will support, even if it is to the detriment of the artists whose music they love.

I saw a thread at PE a while ago where several people were whining about the results of the 2009 DPRP poll, saying that there was no love for avant bands there, only neo-prog and symphonic. I asked if any of them voted in the poll, and they scoffed at the idea of participating in such a thing.

What do you suppose drives that kind of thinking? It is elitism in its worst form - there are those that take such pleasure in being a part of a small group, they wouldn't dare write emails to fellow avant fans and encourage them to support the kind of groups they like, or post a link on their Facebook page to draw attention to their oft-underrated favorite bands - they quite literally said that this sort of thing was below them!

This is not, in any way, a generalization of avant fans, I believe that many of the subgenres have large groups of fans guilty of this behavior - there are plenty of avant fans here on PA that are happy to recommend and support their favorite artists. In fact, as much as we argue here, I do think that PA is the least elitist of all the prog communities...

I honestly disagree with most of this thread and agree with John being hat this site is not elitist:

I'm tired of reading here

1. How X Prog band is crap,
  2. How Prog is less important than Y genre,
  3. How stupid is Retro Prog
  4. Everything recorded after the 70's is crap
  5. 70's Prog is outdated
  6. Prog Metal is not Prog
  7. Neo Prog is derivative and boring
  8. How close minded we are if we dare to believe Prog is the best genre FOR US
  9. How narrow minded we are if we don't like Z genre
  10. How arrogant we are because we don't include bands despite they are not related with Prog
  11. And after this...We are elitist.

Please, I hardly seen any other forum in which other genres are so respected, most of us love bands that are not Prog, but still we have the elitist stigma.

Why should we feel guilty for loving Prog?

Do the Pop, Jazz, Punk, Rock, Rap, Hip Hop fans feel guilty or arrogant because they believe their beloved genre is the best?

Then why must we feel guilty, arrogant, elitist, self indulgent, etc?

I believe it's time to say proudly "I love Prog and FOR ME it's the best music", without feeling guilt.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 11 2010 at 00:23

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 00:12
^ Indeed, we should have a Prog pride parade!
Devonsidhe View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 00:17
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ Indeed, we should have a Prog pride parade!

Can you imagine how many different directions it would go at the same time?LOL
Even a man who stumbles around in the dark will influence those he does not see.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 00:20
What is worst, this site lives of advertising, when a good Symphonic band decided to support us with their money (Believe it was Contrarian), a member asked why did M@X allowed a cheesy Retro Prog band support us.

For God's sake, nothing makes us happy, seems we are our worst enemies

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 11 2010 at 00:25

KingCrimson250 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 01:13
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Originally posted by jplanet jplanet wrote:

I honestly disagree with most of this thread and agree with John being hat this site is not elitist:

5. 70's Prog is outdated
  10. How arrogant we are because we don't include bands despite they are not related with Prog

Please, I hardly seen any other forum in which other genres are so respected, most of us love bands that are not Prog, but still we have the elitist stigma.

Do the Pop, Jazz, Punk, Rock, Rap, Hip Hop fans feel guilty or arrogant because they believe their beloved genre is the best?

Then why must we feel guilty, arrogant, elitist, self indulgent, etc?

I believe it's time to say proudly "I love Prog and FOR ME it's the best music", without feeling guilt.

Iván

I've actually been thinking along the same lines for a while. It seems as though Prog comes under a lot of attack here. I especially agree with 8 and 9, it seems that everytime I voice dislike over a particular artist, genre, or style it makes me close-minded (BTW boo boo, I'm not addressing your post a page back or so, calling me out on my critique of the Indie scene. Your point was actually compelling, and I'll address that later if I have time).

I also like #2 a lot. I know that there are composers out there who do or have done stuff a lot more complex and ambitious than any prog band. I know that there are plenty of jazz musicians who are more virtuoistic than a lot of prog musicians. And you know what? I still love prog more than I love those genres (I do love those genres, though, don't misunderstand me). I was thinking of doing a blog post on this, and maybe I still will.

I can also appreciate the rest. I personally really enjoy hearing music that is completely unlike anything I have ever heard before. I like hearing stuff that breaks new boundaries, that explores new territories. But I'm also not opposed to stuff that's a bit derivative of that, either. I don't really like a lot of neo-prog. But I don't look down on people who do like it.

I've used the analogy before, but territory that has been explored needs to be colonized. There's nothing wrong with a bunch of bands taking a sound established on a certain album and running with it. After all, isn't that essentially what Genesis did with ITCOTCK (and other early albums to be sure)? They took the direction KC had been exploring there, and fleshed it out, made it their own, settled there and took command of the Symph Prog domain. Sure, that's an oversimplification, but I can't stand it when anything with distorted bass or 12-strings is panned for being a rip-off. I think Anekdoten's Vemod is a great album! I don't think it's a rip-off of Red at all. I think it has elements similar to Red, but I think they breathed new life into it and made it their own.

Do I still derive the most enjoyment from new, groundbreaking stuff? Absolutely. But that doesn't limit my appreciation of other music, necessarily.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 02:09
Perhaps people like us waste to much time on forums like this, sooner or later invalid or in-logical discussions appear.

Prog hasn't that much to do with elitism, but it's listeners have clearcut borders when it come to their favorite music. It's serious music and it often had emotional depth. They won't let others ridicule it.
boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 06:45

5. 70's Prog is outdated

Well, I agree with the 7th one. LOL

Quote Please, I hardly seen any other forum in which other genres are so respected, most of us love bands that are not Prog, but still we have the elitist stigma.

I'm not trying to guilt trip anyone because they have a niche in prog, nor am I saying you have to listen to every genre ever for the sake of openmindedness.

I'm just talking about having respect. People may not like a given genre but they should still have some respect for it and the people who like it. For example I only listen to some blues music in moderation, not a whole lot beyond Robert Johnson, but I still respect the genre and it's most talented musicians.

Yes a lot of critics cruelly write off prog and everyone who likes it and I've made a lot of rants about the subject. The lack of respect for entire genres like prog and metal is a big reason why I can't take any music critic seriously.

Quote Do the Pop, Jazz, Punk, Rock, Rap, Hip Hop fans feel guilty or arrogant because they believe their beloved genre is the best?

They should if they deny that other genres have artistic merit.

Quote Then why must we feel guilty, arrogant, elitist, self indulgent, etc?[quote]

I'm only talking about specific examples and some of the more cringeworthy reviews I've read. I can't and I'm not writing off the whole forum

[quote]I believe it's time to say proudly "I love Prog and FOR ME it's the best music", without feeling guilt.
Iván

Well, I don't think it's the best (or that there is such a thing as the best) but I do love it a whole heck of a lot. Thumbs Up

Edited by boo boo - May 11 2010 at 06:49
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 06:53
More than elitism I would speak of ETILISM. Lot of prog composers do their best after a number of pints.Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 10:19
Not referring to you boo boo (Not directly), but about a current of opinion that I seen lately in the forum.

Originally posted by boo boo boo boo wrote:

Nobody here does that, we have entire threads and a sectio exclusively for other genres.

People say how much they like any genre they want, we answer simply which ones we like and which ones we don't, but we don't deny the merit of anything, not even Rap,  which I mentioned it's not music because the lack of melody but often said that it's some form of popular poetry for me.

Now, if somebody asks me if I like Rap or Hip Hop, I would say no...........Why should I lie?

But I understand those who like them and respect heir tastes even if I stronlgly dislike what I listen.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 11 2010 at 10:53

boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 14:04

Not referring to you boo boo (Not directly), but about a current of opinion that I seen lately in the forum.

Nobody here does that, we have entire threads and a sectio exclusively for other genres.

People say how much they like any genre they want, we answer simply which ones we like and which ones we don't, but we don't deny the merit of anything, not even Rap,  which I mentioned it's not music because the lack of melody but often said that it's some form of popular poetry for me.

Now, if somebody asks me if I like Rap or Hip Hop, I would say no...........Why should I lie?

But I understand those who like them and respect heir tastes even if I stronlgly dislike what I listen.

Iván

The thing is you can respect something without really liking it.

I don't really like Lynyrd Skynyrd that much but I can respect them.

I also disagree on one major thing, hip hop music does have melodies but the emphasis is on rhythm. However, a piece doesn't have to have "melody" to qualify as music anyway. As there are various components of music. Melody, Harmony, Timbre and Rhythm. Some genres of music focus on only one of these elements and ignore the others. But to be a genre of music you only need one of these things.

There's ambient music which of course puts all of it's emphasis on timbre. Various other genres of music have ambient elements. Bands like King Crimson, Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis and Radiohead have pieces of music or sections of songs which emphasize ambient sounds and atmosphere over melodic or rhythmic form, do the ambient parts from Close to the Edge and Gates of Delirium not count as music? Those songs would not be quite as powerful without them.

Indeed rap music is a rhythm based genre, but not all forms of music have to be melody based.

Edited by boo boo - May 11 2010 at 14:05
RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 15:19
I want to detract to this discussion simply by saying:

Prog is the absolute best of all genre's in fact it is the only genre of music. The other genres aren't music. Any music that is good is automatically progressive.

Progressive = Good

As it stands ~90% of my collection is on this site. So the Prog Community 90% agrees with my judgment of Good, and I agree with theirs. Our love triangle (me the prog community and prog) is therefore undoubtable.

In other words, I'm right and your wrong (fill in your with whomever you please)
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 15:26
^^LOLLOL
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 15:40
Quote ...
Yes a lot of critics cruelly write off prog and everyone who likes it and I've made a lot of rants about the subject. The lack of respect for entire genres like prog and metal is a big reason why I can't take any music critic seriously.

Totally agreed! Absolutely! And that has been one of my contentions all around.

It's all about the progression and experimentation in music and where the artists take them. If anything on this board, my biggest gripe would be that we do not listen to enough other musics all over to also find progressive stuff elsewhere. Like ECM artists, that have done so many progressive things that make it really difficult to even consider many of them "jazz" when they aren't.

And it's hard for me to accept a "progressive music" definition when it limits itself to a keyboard, guitar, bass and drums playing one thing only, and some of it was inspired by blues, and jazz in the earlier days (ie, San Francisco!) ... but we don't discuss those.

All it takes is a much more open ear ... and that, in my book is a leadership issue, as a house usually reflects its owners.

Still, this is one heck of a house, we just don't believe it!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Progist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 15:50
Elitism is mostly pedantry, or snobbery. The need to dictate to people or run people down for your own gratification. I am happy for folks to like rinky-dinky nursery rhyme pop tunes if they want to! On the other hand, some people read Dostoyevsky, and I read trashy horror & sci-fi books, it doesn't mean that they are better than me. I like Prog music because it connects with me on an emotional level, whereas some like it for it's technical perfectionism, neither are wrong. Elitism comes in when you say, I am better than you because I like Prog or whatever.

In the end, it's just an opinion really.
boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 16:06
Originally posted by Progist Progist wrote:

Elitism is mostly pedantry, or snobbery. The need to dictate to people or run people down for your own gratification. I am happy for folks to like rinky-dinky nursery rhyme pop tunes if they want to! On the other hand, some people read Dostoyevsky, and I read trashy horror & sci-fi books, it doesn't mean that they are better than me. I like Prog music because it connects with me on an emotional level, whereas some like it for it's technical perfectionism, neither are wrong. Elitism comes in when you say, I am better than you because I like Prog or whatever.

In the end, it's just an opinion really.

Yeah, I get very annoyed by art snobs who make up distinctions between what's "high" culture and what's "low" culture.

I also despise the use of the word "kitsch", when has been used by critics to describe prog more than a few times.

Edited by boo boo - May 11 2010 at 16:08
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 16:55

Yeah, I get very annoyed by art snobs who make up distinctions between what's "high" culture and what's "low" culture.

As a lawyer I made the fight here.

Peruvian Constitution says that CULTURAL EXPRESSIONS must be supported and for that reason shouldn't pay taxes, BUT (There's always a but) they gave the Peruvian Institute of Culture, full voice to decide what is cultural and what not.

So you had that Peruvian Folk music, Classical, some Latin American Artists were described as cultural with no taxes, but bands and artists like Roger Waters, Yes, Jethro Tull, Rick Wakeman, ELP, Supertramp, etc were ignored anfd had to pay like 6 different taxes that combined were like 110% over the real cost of a ticket, so we finished paying 300 bucks for a VIP ticket.

We presented a claim that this was discriminatory, and after years of fight we won, this Government accepted to take the taxes down about 70%.

The sad thing is that the shows are still as expensive, because the producers want to gain more and keep charging a lot of money.

Iván

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>