Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - High-End Audio-A Calling For Porcupine Tree Leader
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHigh-End Audio-A Calling For Porcupine Tree Leader

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: High-End Audio-A Calling For Porcupine Tree Leader
    Posted: May 17 2010 at 15:17
I happened across this article in the local paper from a couple of weeks ago and thought that I would share the link with anyone who might be interested.  http://www.freep.com/article/20100429/ENT04/4290317/1039/ENT04/High-end-audio-a-calling-for-Porcupine-Trees-Steven-Wilson
Evan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2010 at 19:16
thanks for the link.  While I don't believe that the convenience of MP3s is an absolute negative, Wilson does make some very good points - I particularly like his analogy of compressed music being akin to the JPEG of a classic work of art. 

good post!
Anguiad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2010 at 23:54
Yep, he has a lot of reason. But still, the ipod is one hell of a machine.

I'm one of the few that could listen the whole album with a set of headphones on the computer, but on m4a, it sounds quite good.

However, the CD on stereo(no 5.1 yet) is my weapon of choice

"Tis your birth and faith that wrong you...not I."
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 00:47
Eh, lossy compression is okay if you have a high enough bitrate. Studies have proven there's no appreciable difference for those with normal hearing capabilities. IF you have damaged hearing  in a particular way, you can sometimes tell, but for the average joe, its not a prob. Additionally, the comparison to visual media is not completely valid, as the human brain performs way more inter/extrapolation on audio than on visual stimuli. Literally, we often hear what we want to hear.

Edited by Deathrabbit - May 18 2010 at 00:56
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 00:55
MP3s really aren't that big a deal if they're decent quality, even the worst MP3 isn't as bad as looking at a cell phone picture, he should be complaining more about people listening to music with terrible iPod earbuds and $5 headphones.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 00:59
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

MP3s really aren't that big a deal if they're decent quality, even the worst MP3 isn't as bad as looking at a cell phone picture, he should be complaining more about people listening to music with terrible iPod earbuds and $5 headphones.

Particularly the ones that crank it to maximum volume, thus forcing me to listen to every single second of their awful music's treble.
Synchestra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 02:12

I agree completely. I use my ipod every day, but usually when its connected to my stereo because most headphones out there are truly awful. I used to have expesnieve headphones that gave amazing quality  but they broke. But aside from that theres not that much difference between high quality compression and CDs, at least to my ears.
'Yeah, thats.. Whatever you're talking about for ya' - Zapp brannigan
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 14:07
What's a no brainer to me is that his analogy is way off. Sure, technically mp3 is to CD audio what jpeg is to an uncompressed image. But in both cases, the compression ratio is the decisive factor. Any painting (or a digitalized version of it) can look marvelous as a jpg, even on a big LCD. Likewise, a properly encoded mp3 file can sound just as great as the real thing - which, in case of CD audio, is also reduced in quality compared to the master tape, which in turn is inferior to the actual performance. If we extend Mr. Wilsons analogy, any audio recording sucks, and if we appreciate music as a work of art we should only listen to live performances.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 14:11
Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

Particularly the ones that crank it to maximum volume, thus forcing me to listen to every single second of their awful music's treble.

Well, that's only because you're used to inferior analog equipment that can't reproduce these frequencies properly.
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 04:28
there's no difference between
1. Vynynl
2. CD
3. cassette tape
4. 48kbps WMA
5. 96kbps MP3
6. DVD Audio

to my ears.
Rottenhat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 13:25
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

What's a no brainer to me is that his analogy is way off. Sure, technically mp3 is to CD audio what jpeg is to an uncompressed image. But in both cases, the compression ratio is the decisive factor. Any painting (or a digitalized version of it) can look marvelous as a jpg, even on a big LCD. Likewise, a properly encoded mp3 file can sound just as great as the real thing - which, in case of CD audio, is also reduced in quality compared to the master tape, which in turn is inferior to the actual performance. If we extend Mr. Wilsons analogy, any audio recording sucks, and if we appreciate music as a work of art we should only listen to live performances.
I don't think Wilson should be too proud of all his productions. PT record usually sounds quite nice, but I heard the band live in Helsinki, and the sound was quite horrible. The bass frequencies  was tuned up to +10, so that I was worried that the roof would fall in on me, and the volume was extremely high, I kept fiddling with earplugs to try to get some kind of decent level. Without earplugs I would probably had tinnitus for days..

Language is a virus from outer space.

-William S. Burroughs
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 08:17
^ of course live performances hugely depend on the location and the sound system, as well as the sound engineer. I wouldn't blame bands too much for bad live sound ... usually they can't influence it, and they can't hear it either on stage. 
Rottenhat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 15:35
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

^ of course live performances hugely depend on the location and the sound system, as well as the sound engineer. I wouldn't blame bands too much for bad live sound ... usually they can't influence it, and they can't hear it either on stage. 
Yeah, that is of course true :) I was a bit harsh in my judgement there I suppose. I have myself been involved as a roadie, technican, and once I even did the mixing for a live gig for some local small bands. I is not easy to get this right, I agree.

But still I think the two of the most common mistakes in live sound is two that is quite easy to avoid, and that is the extreme bass overkill and the ear shattering volumes. Maybe I am just growing too old, but nowadays I like to go to a concert without having to wear earplugs :) Old veterans Jethro Tull was a pleasant experience, for example. Nice balanced sound, and not at all loud. Still the music and the band had great impact.

Edited by Rottenhat - May 21 2010 at 15:39

-William S. Burroughs
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 22:41
I have to admit to liking his approach to making music, and I agree with him in spirit that the best way to experience music is off of something where the compression isn't noticeable, as a whole album. I still listen to mp3s, because I am at my desk in front of my computer all day and my stereo is in the basement. The best experience is from the stereo for sure.

But compare a photo on flickr or in a photo album to a painting in a museum, each is valid for different reasons - some music is more like a flickr photo than a painting.
Rottenhat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2010 at 13:27
I have the DVD-A version of In Absentia and Stupid Dream (yes the one with the horrible cover). I won't give any review of the sound of these albums yet, my old audio setup was not really up to it. I am about to put together a better system now, with some room acoustics treatment and subwoofer equalization, so maybe when this system is tuned and ready, I will try to give some evalutation of these discs.

Edited by Rottenhat - June 05 2010 at 13:28

-William S. Burroughs
The Monodrone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2010 at 14:43
The majority of people I know of that have Ipods don't even know there's a difference between audio compression levels... they all listen to 128 kb songs, which sound utterly horrible, and and don't know they could be listening to much higher-quality music.  It's all a result of downloading from P2P sites, of course... I find it sad that they don't even know how bad the quality of the music is that they're listening to... I totally agree with Wilson... at least he's brave enough to admit there's something horribly wrong with the "download culture."  Kudos Steve.

Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2010 at 01:24
Originally posted by ptkc123 ptkc123 wrote:

at least he's brave enough to admit there's something horribly wrong with the "download culture."  Kudos Steve.
It's not brave to complain about something that most musicians since the popularization of the internet have been complaining about. I would say that Trent Reznor is the one being brave, but even he has enough money that it doesn't matter to him, so even he is not really all that brave.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
sturoc1 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 22:43
AS to the Helsinki concert you cannot judge a particular performance audio to recorded .
Live sound can be a number of different factors working for or against an FOH engineer including the engineer not being very good.
Room design, System capabilities, Sold out or half house among other things can change the sound. A very good engineer will account for this during sound check or his prep for show.
As for the mp3 debate where can I read this from PT's guy the link did not work.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 23:10
Apparently the articles expire after 30 days on the Free Press, and then they get moved to archives.  I'm not sure how to re-access it.
Rottenhat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2010 at 12:49
I can give Wilson some credit for the remaster of "In the Court of the Crimson King". It sounds stunning indeed, compared to the EG records CD release I had from the olden days.

Edited by Rottenhat - September 03 2010 at 12:51

-William S. Burroughs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>