Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteely Dan appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 23:14
Steely Dan have always been one of my favourite bands and rightly belong in PA. I love the coolness of their jazz style rock. Donald Fagan's "The Night Fly" is also a great solo effort. "AJA" is probably my favourite album with it's smooth and yet complex jazz rhythms overlaid with memorable and simplistic tonal qualities. 

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

KyleSchmidlin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 00:35
I'm a bit late to this discussion.  It seems Steely Dan have been moved to Jazz Rock / Fusion since it began.  But I agree with the other assessments.  They are better placed in Crossover.  As so many have pointed out, they are maybe prog's perfect representatives of Crossover, maybe even better than, say, Peter Gabriel.  They have the outsider, buck-the-convention attitude of a prog band, but with scores of pop hits and ear-friendly melodies to ensure their appeal to mainstream America.  But the beauty is, the people who listen to them for the pop hits and ear-friendly melodies are missing the point entirely.  Supposedly Rolling Stone called them the perfect musical antiheroes of the 70s, and that seems right.  They don't belong entirely to prog, that's for sure; but if you fail to acknowledge that there is something more going on in their music than anybody alongside of whom they are played on the radio, you've got it wrong.
Rabid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 01:50
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Have been meaning to get to that. How about the one in the middle...something starting with K? LOL

Kamakiriad  -  Good album Smile 
"...the thing IS, to put a motor in yourself..."
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2012 at 16:19
Donald Fagen is releasing a new album titled Sunken Condos on October 16th.  Here is an article and a link to listen to one of the songs.  http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/song-premiere-donald-fagen-im-not-the-same-without-you-20120917?link=mostpopular2
hobocamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2012 at 17:26
I'd place the song Aja against any other as the quintessential prog masterpiece.
But I don't think the genre encapsulates all that they are.
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2012 at 22:50
One of my favorite artists of all time. Along with the Beatles, I think I've known their work for all of my life, thanks in part to my parents playing them whenever my family went on a road trip.

Also, Donald Fagen is probably the best lyricist of the 1970s, at least in my book.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2012 at 00:36
Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

All of you fans, check out this album:

You won't regret it, it's great.

It's got some great tracks that one.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2012 at 00:39
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I got "Two Against Nature" when it came out, but something essential seemed to be missing.  It seemed to have all the style but none of the substance of Steely Dan. Granted, by the time of Gaucho, their sound had already begun to get more homogenized, but there were still interesting compositional quirks or unexpected happenings in the songs here and there.  Two Against Nature just sounds like warm milk - smooth and bland.  I haven't bothered to try "Everything Must Go", but I don't have my hopes up.

Agreed, I still think it's an ok album with some good songs. Everything Must Go is about on the same level. 
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2012 at 06:17
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

Along with the Beatles, I think I've known their work for all of my life, thanks in part to my parents playing them whenever my family went on a road trip.
That sounds almost exactly like my childhood.  I'd go with my dad to stereo shops and he'd bring the Aja record along to test the stereo systems with.  I know all those 70s Dan albums like the back of my hand.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2012 at 15:53
Hi,

I would suggest that because this band was such a pop/hit band that too many folks will say/think that this is not progressive.

It is progressive in that it was not afraid to stretch the pop medium ... but it was STILL, mostly pop music and just "songs". In general, I am not 100% sure that "progressive" is ... just a bunch of songs. Or that it should be, btw! Because at that point the distinction between pop music, and progressive music is lost and gone!

But their material, just like Queen's, or 10CC's (for example) is, for all intents and purposes, very progressive. And many times much more so, than some copykat bands that call themselves "progressive".

Edited by moshkito - September 26 2012 at 15:55
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12