Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

is Toyah prog-related ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 06:34
There are no more prog related additions, so just forget about it. :)
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 06:52
She's pop and proud of it for gods sake.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 10:17
Check out The Humans 2011 album, "Sugar Rush".  Toyah's vocals are fantastic, Bill Rieflin on drums and some guy also named Fripp plays on some of the tracks Wink

Edited by Logan - August 16 2018 at 12:00
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 10:31
^ I edited your post to a hyperlink as you shouldn't try to embed videos like that any longer (changed quite a long time ago). The video won't show up, and it will try to install flash objects on the computer, harmless, but some people have mistaken those for viruses.

When you embed, you put the tube tags only surrounding the unique identifier (the combination of letters and numbers after v=, which in that case is oaf4JD4xw3A).

So instead of, I'm adding spaces to break it
[tube ] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaf4JD4xw3A [/ tube] , you use
[tube ]oaf4JD4xw3A [/ tube]
(without the spaces to make it clear for others that may not know how to do it).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
vivoactive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivoactive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 11:00
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

That is actually alright. I wanted to discuss Toyah's progressive pop/rock albums rather than beg for her inclusion :)

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Check out The Humans 2011 album, "Sugar Rush".  Toyah's vocals are fantastic, Bill Rieflin on drums and some guy also named Fripp plays on some of the tracks Wink

Forgot about The Humans. Quite a great project I think. Need to listen to more of them. They already have three albums and an EP, right? I quite enjoyed "We Are The Humans". 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 11:14
^ I didn't take it that you were requesting inclusion, and get that it was about discussion, but just to set the record straight on our additions process (even if it doesn't really need straightening). Incidentally, I'm not that familiar with Toyah, so I don't have much to add to any Toyah discussion, but it seemed an excellent post of yours vivoactive. It might be one that we should consider for addition, by the way (would want to familiarise myself with past topics and it may have been formally considered before).

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Maybe you are being rather tongue-in-cheek, but we haven't stopped allowing Prog Related additions (at least not that I've heard). It's not easy getting into the category generally and it should be for exceptional cases. For any who wish to formally propose a band or artist for Prog Related or Proto Prog, a case should be made for it fitting as many of the factors mentioned in the Prog Related Definition (CLICK) , a thread with a good argument plus lots of relevant samples if possible in Suggest New Bands and Artists should be made (links to info and music is good) CLICK for more info , and technically a Special Collaborator should back the addition and be willing to do the addition if accepted. It helps if the suggested in Suggest New Bands and Artists topic gets lots of support (and it helps to correlate all past topics on it if we're not looking at new material to get a wide variety of thoughts).

For those that haven't read it and are considering formally suggesting new bands or artists to Prog Related, here is the officialProg Related Submissions Policy (CLICK)

There's quite a lot of music that I consider to be Prog Related that is not in this site, but that doesn't mean that I think that it should be included. A lot of what I consider to be Prog Related does not tick enough boxes, so just because I consider something to be Prog Related does not mean that I think it fits the category really well.

Anyway, back to the Toyah discussion.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 11:25
Since most in the OP are not active posters anymore, sure why not I say add her........Everything is prog-related.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 11:55
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ I edited your post to a hyperlink as you shouldn't try to embed videos like that any longer (changed quite a long time ago). The video won't show up, and it will try to install flash objects on the computer, harmless, but some people have mistaken those for viruses.

When you embed, you put the tube tags only surrounding the unique identifier (the combination of letters and numbers after v=, which in that case is oaf4JD4xw3A).

So instead of, I'm adding spaces to break it
[tube ] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaf4JD4xw3A [/ tube] , you use
[tube ]oaf4JD4xw3A [/ tube]
(without the spaces to make it clear for others that may not know how to do it).

Thanks for letting me know...tried it the way you suggested but the vid won't play Confused
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 12:04
I edited it to fix it. There was URL code in the post, so I guess when you edited it, my hyperlinking (the url tags) was left in.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 12:07

I edited it to fix it. There was URL code in the post, so I guess when you edited it, my hyperlinking (the url tags) was left in.

Handshake
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 01:58
there is no way that a woman that turned the Crimsonian King Sir Robert Fripp into a wussy and made him lick her boots should be included on PA Angry

Tongue

LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vivoactive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 02:43

^ I didn't take it that you were requesting inclusion, and get that it was about discussion, but just to set the record straight on our additions process (even if it doesn't really need straightening). Incidentally, I'm not that familiar with Toyah, so I don't have much to add to any Toyah discussion, but it seemed an excellent post of yours vivoactive. It might be one that we should consider for addition, by the way (would want to familiarise myself with past topics and it may have been formally considered before).

Some very kind words here! I have been reading Prog Archives for years and finally registered. 
As for Toyah, being the wife of the King Crimson mastermind, Robert Fripp, is a good criteria. I also did not mention her collaboration with Fripp and The League of Crafty Guitarists on "The Lady Or The Tiger", thanks for reminding me, moshkito. I might suggest Toyah as an addition. 

I will give some examples of proggy tracks by Toyah:

Ophelia's Shadow shows the amazing vocals of Toyah. Unlike her first albums where she often screams and shouts (in a punkish way), and unlike her pop stuff where she just sings, here you can hear her amazing feminine vocals. Since it is not available on YouTube (it has been blocked for unknown reasons), I am posting a Deezer link. The entire album is worth it and there is no single filler track. However, I do not think this is an easy album to get into. The keyboard intro of the title track (Ophelia's Shadow) is played by Gordon Haskell (who also played on "In The Wake Of Poseidon" and "Lizard" by King Crimson. At the end of the album, the track Lords Of The Never Known, features a piano solo by Keith Tippett which is amazing imo. The tracks "Brilliant Day" and "Lords of the never known" are outtakes from Toyah and Robert Fripp's band "Sunday All Over The World". 
https://www.deezer.com/us/album/11310322

"Kneeling Through The Shrine" by Sunday All Over The World is nice too. The band's first name was Fripp Fripp. My favourite tracks are "If I Were A Man" and "Answered With A Smile".

Here are the two prog tracks I have mentioned: Tony Banks - Lion Of Symmetry and Trey Gunn - Symbiotic. Amazing vocals!

"We Are The Humans" by The Humans is an interesting tracks, at first it reminded me of Lisa Dalbello (any fans?)

Here is also her collaboration with Robert Fripp on "The Lady Or The Tiger". I have never paid attention to it, but hey, there is Fripp!

This year Toyah released an EP "Four From Toyah (birthday Edition)" which I downloaded and put on my phone. When shuffling the song "Who Let The Beast Out" played and at first I thought it was a Rush song. It might sound nothing like Rush but that was my first association. Again I am posting a Dizzer link, because it is unavailable on YT. 

https://www.deezer.com/us/album/63627752

And last but not least, I want to post two songs from the Dreamchild/Eternity sessions. I have already postet "Satellite Whores" which is nice indeed, the second part is really interesting. Now I am posting "Dreamchild" and "Phoenix". Phoenix features these jazz elements which made me love it. 

These songs have a very low sound quality there... well... it is better than nothing. 

And right before I decided to finish my post I saw the track "Tone Poem" in the YouTube search results. Alright, that track IS amazing! 

This "Hello I am Toyah Willcox" is not available on the album version of the song. This might be sort of a radio rip. 

Hope you will enjoy the beautiful proggy wife. Still, I am not a really big fan but some songs by Toyah are just amazing! That said... Yeah, I am definitely into Toyah. 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 08:25
"As for Toyah, being the wife of the King Crimson mastermind, Robert Fripp, is a good criteria" Well, not really.

But anyway my band is playing at our local county show later this month. 2 hours later on the same stage is Toyah, it will be interesting to hear her. Maybe Bobby Fripp will turn up as well.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 10:23
Thanks for such a thoughtful post, vivoactive. Just for my own pleasure (at least at this time), I will be listening to the music you posted.

Really unrelated, but one of my favourites into Post-Punk and synth avenues is Phew.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivoactive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 13:15

Thanks for such a thoughtful post, vivoactive. Just for my own pleasure (at least at this time), I will be listening to the music you posted.

Really unrelated, but one of my favourites into Post-Punk and synth avenues is Phew.

Interesting album! I like 80s post-punk a lot, although there are a lot of artists/bands that sound cheap and uninspired. Never heard of Phew before, I like it musically. The instrumentation reminds me of a mixture of The Cure and Emiliana Torrini's album Love In The Time Of Science. Vocals are great too, whispery, although I don't understand a word. 

Back to Toyah, let's have a Kiss of Reality in This Fragile Moment!

The first one is from 1993, the second one - from 2009. 16 years in between and her voice still sounds great! The Kiss Of Reality album contains some instrumental tracks, sometimes I just need to listen to the instrumentals of any album, no matter how much I like the vocals. Also I love instrumental tracks. That said, both albums are worth listening! I posted my favourite songs from both albums! 
________
...that the storm really doesn't matter until the storm begins to get you down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vivoactive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 09:02

I think it's time for the inclusion of Toyah on PA. 
RIP Bill Rieflin

Edited by vivoactive - May 17 2020 at 09:05
________
...that the storm really doesn't matter until the storm begins to get you down
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 10:14
https://www.facebook.com/toyahofficial/videos/889796161493169/

Bob Fripp sent this to me by email the other day.  

Edited by cstack3 - May 17 2020 at 10:15
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 10:35
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/toyahofficial/videos/889796161493169/

Bob Fripp sent this to me by email the other day.  

Quite clearly prog related on the strength of that video!LOL

BTW, does he sleep in that bloody suit?
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 12:03
These types of posts are always great for at least exposing us to an artist. From what i've heard she's not eligible for inclusion here but she is definitely an artist that was bold, daring and passionate about her craft.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 13:16
Toyah  who..?
I can honestly say I have never heard a single song from her....I will rectify that by playing a few of the above video links.

I ditto Lazland's question, "Does he sleep in that bloody suit."
And how in the hell did a prog nerd like Mr Fripp end up with a woman like that?
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>