Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Exorcist film . . .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Your thoughts on this horror classic.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [30.43%]
12 [52.17%]
1 [4.35%]
3 [13.04%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 12:08
Originally posted by jampa17 jampa17 wrote:

Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

Alright, so who here agrees with me that Pazuzu is one of the greatest villains in all cinema? 

Just look at that lovely mug!

LOL you know what? the funny thing (well, not so funny) is that is evident that is a dude with an awful make-up, but he scares the hell out of me each every time it appears . . .

It's a woman. Wink Linda Blair's double, Eileen Dietz. 
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 12:13
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I prefer less obvious terror movies, the excess of ketchup and green vomit is repulsive and excessive.

An example of good terror is "The Shining", except for the two bloody girls, the most terrifying moments are when Jack Nicholson's son goes in his tricycle through endless corridors and you only listen the noise of the wheels, it keeps you at the edge of the seat expecting for something hat never happens,

That's a class of terror and suspense..Movies like The Exorcist and Friday 13 abuse of the effects, when the real terror is in the panic created with the excellent use of suspense.

Iván

Did we even see the same movie? The Exorcist is very tame on the violence and much more heavy on mood and atmosphere. Sure, special effects are used, but it's about a woman being possessed, they had to do SOMETHING to sell the illusion. 

And Friday the 13th isn't even in the same league as this film. How could you possibly group them together like that? Teen sex gorefests and supernatural horror films are nothing alike. 

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 14:28

Did we even see the same movie? The Exorcist is very tame on the violence and much more heavy on mood and atmosphere. Sure, special effects are used, but it's about a woman being possessed, they had to do SOMETHING to sell the illusion. 

And Friday the 13th isn't even in the same league as this film. How could you possibly group them together like that? Teen sex gorefests and supernatural horror films are nothing alike. 

I believe The Exorcist was repulsive, the vomit, blood, etc was way over the top,

I never said Friday 13 is in the same league asThe Exorcist, I said  both abuse of repulsive effects.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - June 26 2010 at 14:29

JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 14:53
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I believe The Exorcist was repulsive, the vomit, blood, etc was way over the top,

I never said Friday 13 is in the same league asThe Exorcist, I said  both abuse of repulsive effects.

Iván

http://blogs.suntimes.com/scanners/shinblood.jpg

http://www.austincinephile.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/shiningbloodygirls.jpg

Those two scenes alone have more gore than the entirety of The Exorcist. Yes, there is a bloody scene involving the girl and a crucifix, yes she vomits and has cuts on her face later on, but that's the extent of it. To act as if that film is somehow any more repulsive or violent than The Shining is just incorrect. 

MusicForSpeedin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 18:32
Compared to the horror movies of today it deserves all the praise it gets. Compared to the horror films of the 1970s it is a little overrated. Movies like Suspiria, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (I don't know if many consider it great, but I sure do love it), Let's Scare Jessica to Death, Magic, and the Other are all great horror films.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 19:19
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Never saw The Exorcist.

This. Therefore my favourite (so to say) horror film is The Blairwithc Project. I don't even want to see it again! LOL
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 19:22
Originally posted by MusicForSpeedin MusicForSpeedin wrote:

Compared to the horror movies of today it deserves all the praise it gets. Compared to the horror films of the 1970s it is a little overrated. Movies like Suspiria, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (I don't know if many consider it great, but I sure do love it), Let's Scare Jessica to Death, Magic, and the Other are all great horror films.

I never thought of Magic as being a horror film, actually. Interesting.
CinemaZebra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 23:19
Originally posted by MusicForSpeedin MusicForSpeedin wrote:

Magic wouldn't even exist without the much better-crafted (and also scarier) segment from Dead of Night.

TheClosing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2010 at 02:59
I just watched the unedited version for the first time. Let me say that it's not suspenseful or frightening in the slightest; however, there is probably the biggest WTF! moment I've ever seen. The F me Jesus part with the cross is so over the top that I couldn't even believe what I was seeing. ..WTF! LOL

Edited by TheClosing - June 27 2010 at 03:27
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2010 at 08:50
Originally posted by TheClosing TheClosing wrote:

I just watched the unedited version for the first time. Let me say that it's not suspenseful or frightening in the slightest; however, there is probably the biggest WTF! moment I've ever seen. The F me Jesus part with the cross is so over the top that I couldn't even believe what I was seeing. ..WTF! LOL

Fun fact:  The powerpop band Redd Kross named themselves after that scene.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2010 at 16:34
Good thing you didn't make a fifth option: Tubular Bells...
Pea Soup would have been good for number five.

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 27 2010 at 16:35
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2010 at 19:12
waiting in line for this movie was sheer Terra  People came out white as a ghost

assume the power 1586/14.3
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 04:42
Never seen it, never want to. Nuff said.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 11:28
What does overrated mean?
As a kid I was scarred to death just looking at the movie poster or the ad in the movie part of the newspaper.
When I saw the film I was scarred, especially that I was raised Catholic....It made me think if I did something wrong I was gonna be possesed by the devil. Cry
Tarquin Underspoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 15:28
The Exorcist is just something else. It's truly frightening in a way that most other horror flicks just aren't. Can't put my finger on it.

That said, my favorite is The Shining, which is, again, completely different.
"WAAAAAAOOOOOUGH!    WAAAAAAAUUUUGGHHHH!!   WAAAAAOOOO!!!"

-The Great Gig in the Sky
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 18:47
Maybe mr JLocke can help me with this thing. My parents went to see it in theaters back in those days. My father keep saying the he even couldn't sleep and the scene that impacted him the most was the famous "Spider walk". The thing is that this particular scene was cut from the theater version, so I don't know how my father saw it. I think the promoters that brought out the movie to Guatemala manage to get the early version used for testing audience because the formal realase was without that footage... someone has more insides about this...?
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 19:07
^agreed. I have no memory of a spider-walk seen. Folks if you haven't seen this movie, I implore you, don't.
You will cringe at the thought of having to go up those stairs one more time, to face The Devil. The priest has nightmares of his mother begging him, "why you do this tome?" Jason Miller is stellar in this performance and Max von Sydow, as well, as The Exorcist. I remember one time in the 70s my mom made a wrong turn on the freeway heading west instead of north..my dad was so pissed he turned around to the back of the car and threw out the window on the freeway the book I was reading.."The Exorcist" Ellen Bernstein is properly freaked-out in this movie as well. Remember don't see this if you haven't .It'll scare you,.. baby

assume the power 1586/14.3
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 19:40

Maybe mr JLocke can help me with this thing. My parents went to see it in theaters back in those days. My father keep saying the he even couldn't sleep and the scene that impacted him the most was the famous "Spider walk". The thing is that this particular scene was cut from the theater version, so I don't know how my father saw it. I think the promoters that brought out the movie to Guatemala manage to get the early version used for testing audience because the formal realase was without that footage... someone has more insides about this...?

Well, I can't give any further info on this film specifically, but I can tell you that the Superman DVD has 'added' footage of Lois Lane as a child riding a train than Clark Kent outruns. Apparently it had previously never been shown, yet my father actually was able to remember the scene as it was happening. He even predicted the dialogue before it was said. 

To me, this means that film companies used to be really inconsistent about which theaters got the 'final' cut of their films, and sometimes stuff would be left in at some theaters that were out of the more commercial, big-business ones. 

The idea of theaters all housing slightly alternate cuts of a single film doesn't seem that hard for me to believe, since it's fairly common knowledge that several different versions of Star Wars were released back in '77. In that case, it was different audio mixes, but still. 
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 23:28

Well, I can't give any further info on this film specifically, but I can tell you that the Superman DVD has 'added' footage of Lois Lane as a child riding a train than Clark Kent outruns. Apparently it had previously never been shown, yet my father actually was able to remember the scene as it was happening. He even predicted the dialogue before it was said. 

To me, this means that film companies used to be really inconsistent about which theaters got the 'final' cut of their films, and sometimes stuff would be left in at some theaters that were out of the more commercial, big-business ones. 

The idea of theaters all housing slightly alternate cuts of a single film doesn't seem that hard for me to believe, since it's fairly common knowledge that several different versions of Star Wars were released back in '77. In that case, it was different audio mixes, but still. 

That's very interesting indeed. But the fact that a not rated movie came all way down to my little Country is quite an interesting thing... one thing is that some theaters were chosen to review the impact with some controlled audience and another completely different to have this movie into a nobody-knows-where-that-country-is... but well, maybe they just didn't do a good job and didn't have too much control of anything...
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12