Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
opethpainter View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opethpainter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2010 at 20:20
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Wish I could get to this one.......

Boy would that be a good one!  I was talking to a guy who's going out to this from the US, and he said that there's another concert organized for the same night in a different part of the country--Banco and others will be playing that one.  Such a shame that they couldn't get together and coordinate better, perhaps put them on consecutive days.  What a lack of foresight!  Both could have doubled the numbers, I bet.  Maybe even more.

That being said, there's also going to be a huge Italian prog market affair the day before.  Ahh, wish I could be there!

guys,
if you only knew the truth. now that we're having those great acts coming back from the shadows, they just have to play the same day.

well i know something, since i do artworks for those albums - i did the layout for analogy and celeste boxset, the biglietto.folk cover, the raccomandata ricevuta ritorno newest album as well... and so on - and i'm helping organizing the progvention [i live about 20min by car from the venue].

i guess italy must be a sh*t country also on this field.

it's better not to tell anything else, just leaving the music speak, which is always the best thing.

expect garybaldi coming out also with a beautiful CD/LP of old unreleased stuff... can't say more, but it's just a more couple of weeks until the big event.
which for me will be the Progvention of course :-)

http://www.progvention.com/ is the event's page.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2010 at 20:27
^While I'm not exactly sure what you are saying, my guess is this.  Having talked to various RPI insiders, my impression is that the market for live Italian prog in Italy is very poor.  The crowds are small, the venues not very willing.  I've been told that RPI is much more loved outside of Italy than in Italy. 

Is this what you are telling us, opeth?  Smile

American Khatru View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote American Khatru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2010 at 21:04
^ I am absolutely positively all ears.  

Why must my spell-checker continually underline the word "prog"?

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opethpainter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2010 at 15:20
well RPI sells more abroad than in italy itself for sure.

and here we have little contrasts among the various promoters & co.

i guess it reflects the state of the country i live in...
[yes, i was living in paris, one day i'll update my profile...]
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 08:04

PROG EXHIBITION (http://www.progexhibition.it/):

November 5th: Sinestesia, La Maschera Di Cera, The Trip, Le Orme (Tony Pagliuca back in the band and with David Cross), PFM (with Ian Anderson)

November 6th: Abash, Periferia Del Mondo, La Nuova Raccomandata Ricevuta Ritorno (with Thijs Van Leer), Osanna (with Gianni Leone & David Jackson), Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso (with John Wetton)

PROGVENTION 2010 (http://www.progvention.com/):

November 6th: Alphataurus, Garybaldi, Locanda Delle Fate

Note* There will be a record fair at the venue prior to this concert

ClapClap

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 10:41
^ Cry Maybe one day Cry
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 10:50
I think this new one from Il Tempio Delle Clessidre is going to be very popular amongst RPI lovers. It features the original vocalist from Museo Rosenbach. To be added to the database soon.....

Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Cortese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 04:40
Hello guys, I'm back with newest purchases:

1) Franco Falsini - Cold Nose (1975) for fans of kosmische music

2) Maurizio Fabrizio - Movimenti nel Cielo (1978): wonderful! for lovers of early Parsons Project

3) Pangea - Invasori - an RPI classic

4) Carlo Siliotto - Ondina (1979) - Carlo is violinist of Il Canzoniere del Lazio so you can imagine what his music sounds like. And what a nice cover picture.

5)  Pueblo - Pueblo (1975) - not prog thogh... it's more a californian rock thing (with english and spanish vocals) well played.

6) Sensation's Fix - same (1974) - space/kraut rock (Falsini's band).

All the six albums and collected in the progressive italia universal box n. 6 which is far better than the 7th. Highly recommended.

Edited by Andrea Cortese - October 23 2010 at 07:09
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 08:22
Nice pics Andrea, I like that Pangea one!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 08:27
Happy Birthday Stefano (Testa) !!!!!!

Tanti Auguri a te,

Tanti Auguri a te

Tanti Auguri a Stefano

Tanti Auguri a te!

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=4570

stefanotesta View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefanotesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 13:11
THANK YOU VERY MUCH, FINN!
CIAO TO PROGARCHIVES READERS!
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 12:57
Nice to see you here Stefano, hope you had a great Birthday!
stefanotesta View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefanotesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 15:27
a heartfelt thanks and best wishes of good music and good life, Nightfly!

Big smile
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opethpainter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 17:02
goblin's zombi LP reissue is now available (read more here):

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 19:58
Vault Pick:

One of my favorites, an absolute RPI monster.  Clap

Passio Secundum Mattheum  by LATTE E MIELE album cover Studio Album, 1972
3.98 | 40 ratings

BUY
Passio Secundum Mattheum
Latte e Miele Rock Progressivo Italiano

Review by tszirmay
Special Collaborator Symphonic Team

5 stars When I am asked what a typical symphonic album can sound like, I am always tempted to suggest this famous work from Italian trio Latte e Miele (Milk & Honey). This is as operatic as a prog album will get, using the biblical martyrdom of J. Christ according to the gospel of Matthew. Interesting that religion was still expressed reverently even by the avant-garde youthful artists of the early 1970s (the majority of whom in Italy where strongly in the Social/Communist political camp, technically at least atheist). What makes this lush recording such a whopper is that beyond the obvious ELP references with lead massed keyboards, bass and drums, there are also tectonic doses of choir work (both male and female), inspired use of various textural keys such as celeste and clavicemballo, countless stops and starts, huge slabs of mighty symphonics and a more aggressive use of electric guitars in leading a main theme or bursting out in a brief yet scorching solo. As the story of Easter and the Last Supper take on epic proportions with a strong Renaissance feel (pastoral harpsichord and fluid acoustic guitars), when the organ suddenly kicks in ferociously and the axe bleeds betrayal. On "Getzimani", a simple repetitive beat ushers in the soft rippling sounds of that harpsichord again, weaving in a lush orchestral theme, echoed lead vocals and some incredible drum fills, insistent organ and ragingly brash electric guitar, bringing the story to a further boil. "Il Processo" tosses in megalithic swaths of operatic vocals, underpinning further the "passion" and the despair. The 2 part "Testimonies" are the main sections of the work where classical, rock and jazz coalesce with impressive cohesion, a bit like an Italian version of Procol Harum , featuring groovy piano work from Oliviero Lacagnia, with Marcello DellaCasa showing off his fuzzy and bluesy guitar tone , all held together by the jungle polyrhythmic fills of master drummer Alfio Vitanza, who can easily challenge LeOrme's Miki Dei Rossi for sheer brute force. This is absolute genius music that must not be missed.

The second part even offers a variation on the same improv theme, the conga drums still beating and the axe continuing to be aglow. "Il Pianto" is delicacy incarnate, a slick variation on the very beautiful Soviet National anthem (ironic, no?) with supremely effective piano work. "Giuda" is aggressive, loud, highlighted by almost dirty guitar blast smearing Judas' treachery. The next track features a tortured guitar solo that is near painful to listen to, incredibly deft and complex but searing with pain. "Il Calvario" infuses that grand daddy of all prog instruments, the breathtaking church organ, a mixture of power and subtlety that is hard to beat, giving an obvious holy, ritualesque feel to this the longest track, Wakeman was probably envious listening to this! The dramatics are tightened further with some inspired choir work, somber drum beat recalling JC's struggle up the Golgotha, cross digging into his flesh. A surreal guitar solo recalls the pain, the sweat, the torture, the blood and the final agony. Only a brief acoustic guitar lament can increase the drama and it is done with utter sadness and morose serenity. "Il Dono della Vita" is the brief gentle finale, sung with reverence and compassion, bringing this masterpiece to a grandiose close. While I dislike short albums in general (and early ISP has many of those, unfortunately), this is one heaven of classic prog album that needs to be in any serious collection. 5 crucified stars.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote American Khatru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 05:18
Originally posted by opethpainter opethpainter wrote:

goblin's zombi LP reissue is now available (read more here):

Is this one of the projects you're involved in.  Beautiful job; and if you had anything to do with it then congratulations to you!

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opethpainter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 07:28
yes, i did the poster :-)
topographicbroadways View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topographicbroadways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 10:36
i havnt listened to any RPI in a while and just found a pile of albums i had bought and not listened to yet, 
RPI DAY 2010 it is then!!

so far Museo Rosenbach have blown my mind and i'm enjoying another listen of Uomo di Pezza which is one of my all time favourites i have heard since discovering RPI.

the second Quella Vecchia Locanda album up next looking forward to that one i enjoyed their first album alot
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote American Khatru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 11:00
Originally posted by opethpainter opethpainter wrote:

yes, i did the poster :-)

Hug

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 21:49
Originally posted by topographicbroadways topographicbroadways wrote:

i havnt listened to any RPI in a while and just found a pile of albums i had bought and not listened to yet, 
RPI DAY 2010 it is then!!

so far Museo Rosenbach have blown my mind and i'm enjoying another listen of Uomo di Pezza which is one of my all time favourites i have heard since discovering RPI.

the second Quella Vecchia Locanda album up next looking forward to that one i enjoyed their first album alot

Sounds great Mark, that second QVL was the one that hooked me on RPI.  And the other you mention are also great.  Big smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 358>