Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 328329330331332 358>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2011 at 21:45
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

Hey, this looks like a great new album on Black Widow!!

Castles, Wings, Stories and Dreams (feat. Nuova Idea)

Lots of names on this one, besides Nuova Idea, such as Mauro Pagani and Joe Vescovi.  Another one to look forward to!  Samples are on eMusic.  I'll be putting this on the top of my list!

Holy cow, sounds pretty tasty....Big smile

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2011 at 18:21
^I was just playing Clowns today and loving it.  Todd, do you know if the Japan mini sounds much better than the Mellow issue?

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2011 at 01:29
Hey, this looks like a great new album on Black Widow!!

Castles, Wings, Stories and Dreams (feat. Nuova Idea)

Lots of names on this one, besides Nuova Idea, such as Mauro Pagani and Joe Vescovi.  Another one to look forward to!  Samples are on eMusic.  I'll be putting this on the top of my list!
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2011 at 13:36
70s RPI cover band doing some great live stuff, check out this Semiramis cutThumbs Up

http://www.youtube.com/user/EffettoProgressivo#p/u/1/g_EQx3xQxzk

Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Cortese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2011 at 05:27
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

I'm sure your translation is fine Andrea. One thing I've noticed over the years is when languages are translated literally word for word  they don't always make the same sense they probably did in their original form and require a bit of tweaking to pull them into shape.

Maybe this contributes to why us RPI lovers think the bands should sing in Italian which comes across as much more poetic.

Paul, feel free to point the weaker parts (I will thank you for that, 'cause I'd like to improve, if it's possible)... it happened two or three times that litteral translation didn't sound to me very good and so I tried to use other words... on the other hand, I'm sure that an english band would have written the same lyrics in completely different way.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2011 at 04:39
Vault Pick: From a time when there wasn't a lot of great prog about......

Dopo Linfinito by NUOVA ERA album cover Studio Album, 1989
3.69 | 17 ratings

BUY
Dopo L'infinito
Nuova Era Rock Progressivo Italiano

Review by ZowieZiggy
Prog Reviewer

4 stars This sort of albums are exactly conform to my expectations. Symphonic prog at its best!

It is full of pastoral and beautiful passages, very melodic and moving. Vocals are also very sweet (although this work is mostly instrumental) and are fully in-line with the intimate music which is played during the whole of this very good album.

Two long songs, divided into shorter parts are the treat. There are hardly furious moments in here: it is almost all enchantment although some more upbeat music is experienced while the fourth part of the title track is being played. ''Dentro L'Ignoto'' is one of the longest section and shows the dexterity of their guitar player and a more aggressive band as usual. But that's fine, since this epic might have been too uniform otherwise.

The closing part ''Rassegnezione'' is another charming short piece. The only point that is missing in this epic, is probably a higher sense of unity. There are no recurrent theme which could relate the different parts.

This album is strongly dominated by Walter Pini (their mentor really) who is in charge of the keys department. While these are wonderfully combined with the smooth voice from Ivan Pini during ''Ai Margini Dell'Olimpo'' it really provokes a great and emotional feeling. A highlight.

Just like there was a more upbeat part in the first epic, the second one also holds a more bombastic section: ''Miraggio Cosmico'' is a keyboards feast: great synthesizers, some sort of a tribute to Banks and Wakeman. Some ''Watcher'' sounds just before an extremely passionate guitar break (Steve, where are you?). This part of ''Pianeta Transparente'' is the most vibrant one from this whole album.

Needless to say that this work scores pretty high in my ears. This album holds everything a lover of the Italian genre is waiting for. The closing section from the second epic is there to confirm. Four stars.

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2011 at 04:03
I'm sure your translation is fine Andrea. One thing I've noticed over the years is when languages are translated literally word for word  they don't always make the same sense they probably did in their original form and require a bit of tweaking to pull them into shape.

Maybe this contributes to why us RPI lovers think the bands should sing in Italian which comes across as much more poetic.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Cortese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 17:48
Thank you Paul.

My aim is translating in an acceptable way... it's a "training"... you know, I will be (or so I should) in California the next july so I hope to refine my primitive english... or is it only a "self-confidence thing"?....  well, I only have to wait until july ehe he he hEmbarrassed

Add to that the fact that I really like the record and that I wanted to do useful thing to my neighbours and fellow proglovers...Tongue

Edited by Andrea Cortese - January 06 2011 at 17:48
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 12:40
Thanks for taking the trouble Andrea. It makes interesting reading.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Cortese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 09:45

"Le Due Metà di una Notte", fourth track from Il Tempio delle Clessidre's album… romantic lyrics as in Boccadasse… would you have said it? eh ehehehLOL

IL TEMPIO DELLE CLESSIDRE                           THE TEMPLE OF HOURGLASSES

LE DUE META' DI UNA NOTTE                            THE TWO HALVES OF A NIGHT

Scendi, sera, e porta qui il tuo silenzio,             Come down, evening, bring here your silence,

lembi di tramonto, schegge di opale,                 strips of sunset, chips of opal,

lei mi attrae verso sé col dolce profumo,           she pulls me to her within sweet perfume,

indugia accanto a me e così mi confonde,        stays beside me and then confuses me,

porta via la realtà.                                                    brings away the reality.

Un passo, vieni avanti, sfiorami                           A step, come closer, touch me lightly,

danza insieme a me, accarezzami,                     dance with me, caress me,

tieni le tue mani sui miei occhi                             keep your hands on my eyes

mentre i sensi scivolano via.                                 while senses fade away.

Ora la magia perpetua l’incanto                            Now magic perpetuates the enchantment

di ogni momento scritto negli occhi,                     of every moment written in the eyes,

trema il cuore dentro me, è un azzurro oblio       my heart trembles, it’s an azure oblivion

di sfumata aurora e così mi sorprende,               of soft dawn and so it surprises me,

ridipinge la realtà.                                                     re-paints the reality.

Andiamo, corri forte, seguimi,                                 Let’s go, run fast, follow me,

non aver paura, fidati,                                               don’t be afraid, believe (in me),

brilliamo come stelle siderali                                  we shine like sidereal stars

e aspettiamo il sole, vita mia.                                  and let’s wait for the sun, my life.

Edited by Andrea Cortese - January 05 2011 at 08:01
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Cortese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 14:29

Now it's the turn of "Boccadasse", the third track from Il Tempio delle Clessidre's album...

Boccadasse is an ancient maritime village near Genova, town home of the band. Look at the pic below.

So, let’s start… remember what I said before … it remains valid... I'm not the best translator around here ...
Embarrassedeh eh heheh so, please, be kind ... aha hah ah

IL TEMPIO DELLE CLESSIDRE                                                          THE TEMPLE OF HOURGLASSES

BOCCADASSE                                                                                      BOCCADASSE

Si accende ad un tratto il mattino,                              All at once lights up the morning,

fresca la brezza si inonda di pallido sole,                   fresh breeze is filled with pale sun,

ti invita a distendere il petto                                         invites you to stretch your chest

e schiarire la voce.                                                      and to clear your throat.

Nel puro silenzio minuscule case e sentieri                In pure silence tiny houses and paths

offrono dolci carezze di caldi colori                             offer sweet caresses of warm colours

e il viso si specchia sul loro sorriso.                            and face is mirrored in their smile.

Scorre, solca il mare la vela intorno a te                      Flows, around you, the sail on the sea

la sua scia dipinge l’anima.                                           its wake paints the soul.

La pioggia che scende sul mare                                  The rain falling on the sea

tende l’orecchio al grido dei bianchi gabbiani,              keeps an ear to the shouts of white gulls,

attendono ormai l’indomani i tuoi pescatori                  your fishermen wait for the day after

ed ogni sera la piccolo spiaggia raccolta                     and each evening the small, tiny beach

accoglie chi cerca cornice alle sue riflessioni              welcomes who search for a setting to his thinking

e confida ad amici frammenti di vita.                            and who entrusts to friends his own fragments of life.

Scorre, solca il mare la vela intorno a te                       Flows, around you, the sail on the sea

la sua scia dipinge l’anima.                                            its wake paints the soul.

e rincorre i ricordi il mio cuore verso te,                        and my heart chases memories of you,

simmetria che ho dentro l’anima.                                  symmetry I have inside my soul.

toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toroddfuglesteg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 06:49
Check out the albums from both Black Widow Records and Altrock Records. Those are a good start. 
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 06:37
Please check Italian electronic gems (released via PDU label) Hydrus and ElektriktrusWink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toroddfuglesteg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 06:31

Agree. Malibran must be included in this list.

(which reminds me; I should move them to the top of my to-review list) 

Aragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 06:12
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Originally posted by topographicbroadways topographicbroadways wrote:

is there any post-70's RPI bands people would recommend? 
maybe something from the 90's since i have heard some 80's but not checked out anything, to quote PA's favourite phrase "post-89"  

Well, recommendations questions always bother me because there is just too much great stuff to list, and invariably I will miss listing some great stuff, but what the hell?   Duty calls, one must try!LOL  Apologies in advance to the great bands I forget....

First, these old timers have released great NEW product since the 1970s....you might wanna check.
RRR
Delirium
Opus Avantra
PFM
Latte Miele
I know I'm forgetting a bunch here.

As for contemporary artists, here's a few ideas...

Abash
Absenthia
Altare Thotemico
Architrave Independente
Areknames (updated VDGG style)
Il Bacio Della Medusa (their 2nd album is a PA favorite)
Baroque (wild alt-prog)
Bededeum (folk)
Colster (instrumental rock)
DFA (incredible fusion band)
Deux Ex Machina  (updated Area kinda)
Filoritmia (haven't heard it but others like it)
I Treni All Alba (great prog-folk)
Mappe Nootiche (spacey post electronica)
Minstrel
Lorenzo Monni (modern, electronic, guitarscapes)
Natural Mystic (cool eclectic band)
Nichelodeon (avant)
NoSound
Ossi Duri (zappa flavor)
Pandora (modern symph w/ heavy edge)
Stefano Panunzi (crossover-have not heard, but other like)
Port Royal (post, ambient)
Il Ruscello
Stereokimono (psych/modern)
Il Tempio delle Clessidre (RPI title of the year)
3 Monks (amazing gothic prog/church organ rock)
Universal Totem Orchestra (avant)
VIII Strada (symph metal)
Yugen (avant)
Castello di Atlante

Ehy you miss Malibran from Sicily

Edited by Aragon - January 03 2011 at 06:12
topographicbroadways View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topographicbroadways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 05:50

maybe something from the 90's since i have heard some 80's but not checked out anything, to quote PA's favourite phrase "post-89"  

Well, recommendations questions always bother me because there is just too much great stuff to list, and invariably I will miss listing some great stuff, but what the hell?   Duty calls, one must try!LOL  Apologies in advance to the great bands I forget....

First, these old timers have released great NEW product since the 1970s....you might wanna check.
RRR
Delirium
Opus Avantra
PFM
Latte Miele

Abash
Absenthia
Altare Thotemico
Architrave Independente
Baroque (wild alt-prog)
Bededeum (folk)
Minstrel
Nichelodeon (avant)
NoSound
Ossi Duri (zappa flavor)
Il Ruscello
Yugen (avant)
Castello di Atlante

this should keep me busy for a while Big smile much appreciated 
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2011 at 22:07
Nuova Era is a wonderful RPI band
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2011 at 18:05

RRR
Delirium
Opus Avantra
PFM
Latte Miele

Abash
Absenthia
Altare Thotemico
Architrave Independente
Baroque (wild alt-prog)
Bededeum (folk)
Minstrel
Nichelodeon (avant)
NoSound
Ossi Duri (zappa flavor)
Il Ruscello
Yugen (avant)
Castello di Atlante

Edited by Finnforest - January 01 2011 at 22:21

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2011 at 15:07
Right on Torodd....both cakes are delicious....

Handshake

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toroddfuglesteg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2011 at 14:34

Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

When it comes to traditional RPI, there is a good case for claiming that the best RPI was released post '89

Ummmm, with all respect to my esteemed colleague.....there is great new stuff out there.....but the classic period is still the primo eargasm IMHO.  WinkTongue

If my perceived views is promoting the new scene and it's bands; I am more than happy with that. But frankly, I am not taking any side in a debate like that. A debate I am sure will rage on an on for the next 100 years. I just says "thank you" when given the choice between two types of cakes. Pre or post '89; it all sounds excellent to me in my twin turbo rocking chair (with climate control).  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 328329330331332 358>