Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5859606162 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 07:20
Wooooooow what a bummerDead

You almost gotta laugh at these things, but finding out that it was a dance compilation from the mid 90s - wasn´t really squeezing out giggles at the time...

I kind of see the irony now I guessLOL 

Still a wee bit disappointed after all.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 09:37
I basically can't do "lists" anymore....with all of the RPI albums swirling in my head, I can barely fathom trying to quantiy them and make them compete against each other.  I've tried to help people with suggestions before but it's frustrating because for every album I suggest there are so many others I'm not suggesting that are also great.  Basically, I think people should read reviews and plot their own journeys in RPI.  Smile

What I will tell people though is not  just to buy the "big" name artists...yes check out Banco and Orme, but if you don't get off the beaten path, you are going to miss a big part of the experience.  RPI has some of the most rewarding "obscure"  artists out there.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 10:56
^I feel much the same Jim, and speaking of going off the beaten track:
 Il Paese dei Balocchi by PAESE DEI BALOCCHI, IL album coverStudio Album, 1972
3.63 | 41 ratings 

BUY
Review by Nightfly Special Collaborator RPI Team

4 stars Releasing only one album, in 1972, Il Paese Dei Balocchi deserve to be spoken of in the same tones of reverence as other highly regarded one shot bands of the Italian prog scene such as Museo Rosenbach and Maxophone and had they lasted longer, who knows, they may have even been up there with the big boys - Banco, Orme etc such is the quality here.

This eponymous offering is a beautiful piece of work - atmospheric, melancholic and haunting, it's a lovely example of Italian symphonic prog with classical touches. It doesn't rush, content to take its time giving the music a trippy vibe at times. Largely instrumental which works in its favour but that's not to say the vocals are lacking in quality when they are present. Great Hammond work gets me every time as it does here, having for want of a better word, a kind of spooky feel to it on this occasion. There also seems to be a church organ present which is equally compelling. Guitar generally takes a back seat as does the drums but there's the occasional powerful moment where things take off for a short while. This thankfully doesn't work to the detriment of the overall vibe of the album.

I'm surprised this excellent album doesn't feature more prominently amongst top Italian prog lists, it really is that good and is essential to anyone on a journey of discovery with RPI and likely to be of interest to many others too. Wonderful stuff and a great example of why Italian prog is so full of surprises and draws in such strong devotes.

Thanks for that PaulClap

You got me curious, - in fact last time I saw a review of this I almost bought it, but I still don´t own the thing.

Edit: Sorry about the way this post turned out, something went wrong, but fortunately the review still says the sameSmile.

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 08 2011 at 10:59
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 14:30

That's def one of those obscure faves of many....^

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 15:38
Not a compilation, just places I return again and again ...

Banco del mutuo soccorso : Il giardino del mago suite ... (The peak ?)
Quella vecchia locanda (same) : Sogno, risveglio e … (This piano and violin play with my thoughts) 
Hunka Munka : Cattedrali di bambu ( You shouldn’t like this, Pierre ! I Know,  I know, but ...   
Maxophone : Merchanti di piazze (Song 5) (Starting at 4.14 : can’t find the works to describe this ...) 
Cervello : Canto del capro. (King crimson, the Smiths and Radiohead). Economic !
Stefano Testa : Ninna nanna (The flute ! Oh the flute ! )
Le Orme’s Florian : Pietro il pescatore (Monteverdi meets Brian Eno. The last chords make me forget the weight of the world)
Delirium III : Il Dono (Real soul music)
Diari di viaggio della desta mobile : Ritorno (Last song but not least. A treasure)
Formula tre’s casa : Bambina Sbagliata (Simple and moving song)
Panna Fredda : il vento, la luna e pulcini blu (A world apart)
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 16:24
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

3.63 | 41 ratings 

BUY
Il Paese dei Balocchi
Il Paese dei Balocchi Rock Progressivo ItalianoReview by Nightfly Special Collaborator RPI Team
4 stars Releasing only one album, in 1972, Il Paese Dei Balocchi deserve to be spoken of in the same tones of reverence as other highly regarded one shot bands of the Italian prog scene such as Museo Rosenbach and Maxophone and had they lasted longer, who knows, they may have even been up there with the big boys - Banco, Orme etc such is the quality here.

This eponymous offering is a beautiful piece of work - atmospheric, melancholic and haunting, it's a lovely example of Italian symphonic prog with classical touches. It doesn't rush, content to take its time giving the music a trippy vibe at times. Largely instrumental which works in its favour but that's not to say the vocals are lacking in quality when they are present. Great Hammond work gets me every time as it does here, having for want of a better word, a kind of spooky feel to it on this occasion. There also seems to be a church organ present which is equally compelling. Guitar generally takes a back seat as does the drums but there's the occasional powerful moment where things take off for a short while. This thankfully doesn't work to the detriment of the overall vibe of the album.

I'm surprised this excellent album doesn't feature more prominently amongst top Italian prog lists, it really is that good and is essential to anyone on a journey of discovery with RPI and likely to be of interest to many others too. Wonderful stuff and a great example of why Italian prog is so full of surprises and draws in such strong devotes.

Thanks for that PaulClap

You got me curious, - in fact last time I saw a review of this I almost bought it, but I still don´t own the thing.

Edit: Sorry about the way this post turned out, something went wrong, but fortunately the review still says the sameSmile.

You're welcome and thank you. I'd recommend you get it asap, you won't be disappointed I'm sure.Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 16:33
Pierre, those are some really nice pics....nice to see someone mention Hunka Munka again.

Another underappreciated obscurity is the first Corte dei Miracoli.  It has major sound issues, but if you don't mind less than perfect fidelity there are some wonderful moments there.  Even if my rating is too high, I'll be dropping that to a 3.  Sometimes  I get too excited when reviewing and my rating needs to be reconsidered laterLOL

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 16:57
I like the first Corte very much. The drumming is wonderfull. I 've just bought Capitolo 6, the first Angelo Branduardi and  Lucio Battisti's anima latina. All sound great and so different. I'm afraid not to be able to say someday : RIP RPI.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 17:54
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Not a compilation, just places I return again and again ...

Banco del mutuo soccorso : Il giardino del mago suite ... (The peak ?)
Quella vecchia locanda (same) : Sogno, risveglio e … (This piano and violin play with my thoughts) 
Hunka Munka : Cattedrali di bambu ( You shouldn’t like this, Pierre ! I Know,  I know, but ...   
Maxophone : Merchanti di piazze (Song 5) (Starting at 4.14 : can’t find the works to describe this ...) 
Cervello : Canto del capro. (King crimson, the Smiths and Radiohead). Economic !
Stefano Testa : Ninna nanna (The flute ! Oh the flute ! )
Le Orme’s Florian : Pietro il pescatore (Monteverdi meets Brian Eno. The last chords make me forget the weight of the world)
Delirium III : Il Dono (Real soul music)
Diari di viaggio della desta mobile : Ritorno (Last song but not least. A treasure)
Formula tre’s casa : Bambina Sbagliata (Simple and moving song)
Panna Fredda : il vento, la luna e pulcini blu (A world apart)

^ You know, Pierre, I love how you're approaching things--slowly, carefully, appreciating every album and song.  And you're really sampling broadly, even Branduardi, Battisti, etc. 

By the way, have you tried Banco's "Come in un'ultima cena"?  Considering your strong regard for melody, that album will knock your socks off!  "Se dice che i delfini parlino" is absolutely gorgeous.
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 18:28
Yes the melodies of "Banco's come" are wonderfull.  But I don't like the sound of the group as much as for the first three ones. Don't know why. Too clean I think, almost numeric. Sorry. I must have an analogic brain.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 18:37
^ No, I understand what you mean.  There's definitely a different sound, and that album took me longer to appreciate than the first three.  "Darwin!" especially blew me away the first time I heard it.  That's the album that got me hooked on RPI, as well as PFM's "Per un amico."  Those two were ranked as the best prog albums on the Gnosis2000 website several years ago, and I just had to try them to see if they were better than the other ones I loved so much.  "Darwin!" was so unique, intriguing, different--very Italian and very thrilling.

My Gnosis Ratings

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 18:51
Per un amico and Darwin are real treasures. Recently I bought the japanese CD of Darwin. The sound is completly different from the old edition. No compact at all, a little bit like a premix. The result is very warm and much more emotional.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 19:02
^ When you say Japanese, which one do you mean?  A Japanese mini lp version, or the King jewel case version?  And which old edition do you have?  Is it the original Ricordi version?

My Gnosis Ratings

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 19:08
I had the Sony/ BMG version of 1999. The japanese is the Mini Lp Cd BMG Italian rock collection.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 19:09
Darwin (Mlps)
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 19:14
^ The packaging on that is beautiful, isn't it?  I think the sound is pretty good, but the best sounding version I've heard is the original Ricordi jewel case CD that has MPCD as the first part of the catalogue number.  I've heard three versions (including the King Japanese jewel case), and that's my favorite.  Very warm, no digital compression.

My Gnosis Ratings

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 19:18
Thanks ! I'm going to try the original Ricordi Jewel Case.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 19:21
You won't regret it!  Thumbs Up

My Gnosis Ratings

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 20:13
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

3.63 | 41 ratings 

BUY
Il Paese dei Balocchi
Il Paese dei Balocchi Rock Progressivo ItalianoReview by Nightfly Special Collaborator RPI Team

Thanks for that PaulClap

You're welcome and thank you. I'd recommend you get it asap, you won't be disappointed I'm sure.Smile

Damn, that's the second time I've read that review and I still can't afford to get the album yet grrrrrr!
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2011 at 09:06
Talk about melody and songs you can´t erase from your mindLOL
I absolutely adore the weird moog solo happening at some point - sounds like a robot that turns into an angry insect, and quite often I find myself whistling this very soloEmbarrassed - no melody or song comes before though so it´s just: DIDIDIDI DEH DEH DEH DA DAA!!! out of the blue..

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5859606162 358>