Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 249250251252253 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2013 at 23:28
If I'd had a Visa to get over there, and would have been sure Mr Bartoccetti couldn't sniff out my Christian blood, I gladly would have gone undercover in hooded robes, Jim!

I wonder if it was filmed for a DVD, or it was really meant to be a totally secretive event?
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2013 at 23:34
I'm guessing it will be secret.  A shame, some of those hooded chicks are pretty hot.  LOL  Maybe we'll have to send the duck to the castle, undercoverWink

boysmithers View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boysmithers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2013 at 12:51
Buongiorno!

I'm massively enjoying Le Porte Non Aperte and their album "Golem" right now.
Some heavy riffs, great synths and lots of flute. The thing that stands out most, for me is the bellowing singer - I don't mean that in a bad way, I love his voice!

You can listen here (and buy for 7 Euros) :
Here's a live video :
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2013 at 18:00
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

If I'd had a Visa to get over there, and would have been sure Mr Bartoccetti couldn't sniff out my Christian blood, I gladly would have gone undercover in hooded robes, Jim!

I wonder if it was filmed for a DVD, or it was really meant to be a totally secretive event?

Well Micheal, I found the song to be rather interesting. I really like the beginning with the smooth radio frequency drifting noise. All in all though I find this track sounds like classic 70's RPI.
Thanks for the Listen. ;)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2013 at 18:05
Hey den. Has anyone heard Maurizio Garini's first solo effort with 'Creatures In a Drawer' yet?
It came out jan/2013. I just picked it up yesterday and I find that it's ok. But more importantly, I can really hear Guarini's individuality and what makes him a key member to the Goblin team on this album. He does carry his own unique sound and is a major talent for sure, but his album hasn't blown me away. In the meantime of course, I would love to hear opinions from you guys. :)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2013 at 18:17
Originally posted by boysmithers boysmithers wrote:

Buongiorno!
Some heavy riffs, great synths and lots of flute. The thing that stands out most, for me is the bellowing singer - I don't mean that in a bad way, I love his voice

Smithers, it's a good album, and the singer is very charismatic! The only problem I have with it is too many lyrics crammed in, and some of the pieces are a little too straight-forward. I'd love next time if the band went totally `prog on', really pushed themselves, with more complex arrangements and longer instrumental sections. Damn good album, still, and I'm the proud owner of it! The band should be very proud of it! Reminds me in many parts of Biglieitto Per L'Inferno!

Nick! Glad you liked that track, it's a damn fine album that Panna Fredda one!

I've not heard the Garini album, I think it was for sale at the Goblin concert (along with some Claudio solo and related works), but I didn't snap any of them up - went for a poster suitable for framing instead! Also, be careful at your upcoming concert if they're selling the `official bootleg' live DVD, you do get two complete concerts that sound beautiful, but both are shot from a single camera angle...cool for about two minutes, boring as hell after that! Best to just turn the TV off and just listen to the music!
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2013 at 19:46

Thought I'd post an old favourite while I'm listening to it right now! For those who haven't heard it, it's got a very cool extended instrumental section in the middle:

Panna Fredda - La Paura

A relatively new favorite of mine of a few months.

I am approaching my 1 year anniversary of first hearing RPI. I am curious of when or how long some of you den mates first heard anything in RPI?

ps-love Jim's Pac man cartoon
coasterzombie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coasterzombie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2013 at 11:34
I am approaching 15 years of RPI fandom.  It feels like just yesterday I discovered Le Orme's Collage...one listen of "Era Inverno" and I was hopelessly hooked!
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2013 at 14:34

Only two years for me Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2013 at 14:43

Originally posted by boysmithers boysmithers wrote:

Buongiorno!
Some heavy riffs, great synths and lots of flute. The thing that stands out most, for me is the bellowing singer - I don't mean that in a bad way, I love his voice

Smithers, it's a good album, and the singer is very charismatic! The only problem I have with it is too many lyrics crammed in, and some of the pieces are a little too straight-forward. I'd love next time if the band went totally `prog on', really pushed themselves, with more complex arrangements and longer instrumental sections. Damn good album, still, and I'm the proud owner of it! The band should be very proud of it! Reminds me in many parts of Biglieitto Per L'Inferno!

Nick! Glad you liked that track, it's a damn fine album that Panna Fredda one!

I've not heard the Garini album, I think it was for sale at the Goblin concert (along with some Claudio solo and related works), but I didn't snap any of them up - went for a poster suitable for framing instead! Also, be careful at your upcoming concert if they're selling the `official bootleg' live DVD, you do get two complete concerts that sound beautiful, but both are shot from a single camera angle...cool for about two minutes, boring as hell after that! Best to just turn the TV off and just listen to the music!

Oh good advice my friend. I saw that 'official bootleg copy' being sold at the record store i go to downtown in T.O.
It was massively overpriced as well. Shot in Rome, but looking at the audio format and seeing 2.0 Dolby stereo I refrained from purchasing it. If the sound is not formatted in 5.1 I usually don't but it. ;)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2013 at 16:40
Nick, that DVD was pretty decently priced at the concert I bought it from, so it wasn't so bad. You do get two complete concerts, but they've more or less the same tracklisting. I managed to get it signed by all the members, so it's a bit more special in the end! As I've said before, make sure to take a few CD covers along to your concert and be determined to hang around for a few minutes afterwards at the stage, you'll likely be able to get them signed!

As for Jim's original question, I did come to RPI pretty early on in my prog journey almost twenty years ago, picking up titles by bands such as Quasar Lux Symphonie, Le Orme, but it wasn't until a few years later that I properly dove in head first, moving from one band to another and snapping up a stack of titles!

But right from the start, I learned very quickly that the Italian stuff was some of the most grand, adventuruous, classicly-inspired and reckless prog you can find!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 22:13
C'mon BTF ! 

Le Groupe X - Frrrrrigidaire1973

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2013 at 21:38
Sounds great, Pierre! Just another to add to the list, that hopefully BTF works their way through. That recent Kundalini Shakti Devi one was just a tease of what the label can offer us hungry RPI fans!

Pretty sure it's ducks that have the biggest appetite!

A belly full of RPI!
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2013 at 10:59

Does it get any better. PFM the pinnacle of not only this genre but progressive rock.....in my opinion....thanks for over 40 years of beautiful music.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2013 at 19:50
Pretty amazing they've been around for 40 years and counting, Mr Leary!

They're not the pinnacle of RPI for me (just a few too many English prog influences for my liking), but damn good all the same.

I'm thinking of digging my `A.D 2010' LP out again, I haven't listened to it in a while and I remember I very much enjoyed that one!   
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2013 at 19:54
Not the RPI pinnacle to me either Michael, but yeah, that is a wonderful performance.  They're having so much fun.  Thanks for posting Leary.  

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2013 at 19:56
Even though I've played it many times on Youtube, I was finally able to pick up an LP of this at a Record Fair on Sunday:

Really a damn fine album, I love it's frequently melancholic sound, the psychedelic moments and the noisy bombastic outbursts! Aldo's voice has a nice weary tone as well.

It does seem to get a little dismissed compared to some of their others from around the same period.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 18:35
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Does it get any better. PFM the pinnacle of not only this genre but progressive rock.....in my opinion....thanks for over 40 years of beautiful music.

Their album Per Un Amico was my first RPI listen and one of the main reasons I dove into this genre.  Wow, 40 years and I have been listening only for 1.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 18:41
Michael, have been thinking about another Le Orme album, maybe this is the one to try.

A question for the den, has anyone know of or had any luck with a RPI internet/streaming station?  I have tried Pandora but does not do very well.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 20:20
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 249250251252253 358>