Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8384858687 358>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 05:06
I have never understood why the first album of PFM lasted more than one minute Wacko
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 04:56
Hey Mike did you ever listened to any of their 80's albums? I never did, except for Suonare Suonare from 80'
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 04:48
No, I don't so much think it's inferior! It just shows them starting to form their progressive ideas, while stll retaining 60's elements - just like taht horn section passage you meant!

Yes, a very damn good album!
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LinusW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 04:47
Yup, my favorite PFM album. First one I heard. And although it is not as polished and refined as what followed, I like it all the more for its more unkempt beauty Big smile
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 04:37
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Just gave the PFM debut a listen at work, I forget how good it is! I've kind of dismissed this in the past, because the next couple of albums from them are even better, but wow, this track really has so many cool ideas:

What are you kidding me? I never thought of it as inferior in any way to the next ones really. I think it's fantastic and the track you posted shows that perfectly. The closing track has one of my favorite PFM riffs ever (the one with the horns part) Love that album to bits.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 04:29
You know it LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 04:28
Just gave the PFM debut a listen at work, I forget how good it is! I've kind of dismissed this in the past, because the next couple of albums from them are even better, but wow, this track really has so many cool ideas:

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 04:16
Ahh, the advantages of being a member of the prog Illuminati, eh?!

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 04:02
Ah no, swedish. I was just listening to them for evaluation for the team and was pretty much impressed. It's a modern electronic album but has so many genres crossing inside, symphonic, jazz, rock, post rock, plus including all kinds of acoustic instruments. I usually don't go for albums like this, if it wasn't for evaluation sake I would never find out about them, but boy am I happy I did. Beautiful stuff.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 03:46
Ha, I just finished it too, Sagi!

You are spot on, that last track is a knockout! It's all good, but we're really spoiled by that closer!

Necromonkey, an Italian band?
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 03:19
Oh of course. But like you said there are other more complex and adventurous albums in the scene but nevertheless this is still a good album. I gave up on it a few years ago but played it again a few months ago and really loved it.
Love that 10 minutes song!

Edit: Just finished a new album from a new band called Necromonkey so I'm playing Panna Fredda right now Big smile

Edited by Sagichim - February 05 2014 at 03:27
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 03:02
Sagi and guys, at work I was in the mood for something comfortable, something I've listened to many times and always go back to for more:

Anyone else love this little beauty as much as I do? Sure there's more complex and adventurous albums to the found from the period, but it's a fine work.

By the way, Utnapishtim, nice review of the `L'estate di San Martino' disc! I love that album very much too, so lovely and relaxing!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 00:42
Morning here and I have a day off so Dolce Aqua was the first thing I listened to today, just finished it again. So easy to get into Heart
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 00:36
Excellent, Sagi!

I too seemed to remember in the distant past that it was folky and not much like their following albums, especially the classic third one, and that the singer was very different. Instead, NONE of those things turned out to be true!

Giving it a fresh listen, the two different singers actually sound quite similar. That was why I mentioned that somewhere near the start of my recent review!

Heh, I'm going to give it another play during work tonight!

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 01:46
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Sagi, in the last two days, I've listened to it about 15 times, just over and over! It's much better than I remembered, even if it doesn't have the dirtier sax and intensity that `3' does...which is what always used to disappoint me about it!

Now it even reminds me in parts of early psych Floyd. I'll post my review in the next hour or so, and I'd love you to give it that revisit and post your thoughts back here, my friend!

Will do!

Ok Michael, I've listened to it six or seven times for the past few days and I'm hooked, really!
I mean what's not to like? LOL I was quite surprised the first time because I remembered it was much more calm and acoustic, but this is 100% progressive album, a lot of jazzy parts and excellent playing, and how about that distorted flute? great stuff, I hope it was intentionally recorded like this. But I think the thing that wins this album for me are the beautiful melodies, I forgot how much I love Ivano Fossati's easily captivating vocals.

So this is quite a pioneering album for the genre being released in 71', now I need to get their second album which I've never heard.
Thanks again for bringing this album up my friend, gorgeous stuff Beer

Edit: Hey now that I look at the lineup Ivano Fossati is credited as being the lead singer but is not listed in their third album which is weird it sounds like the same dude to me. What's up with that?

Edited by Sagichim - February 03 2014 at 01:57
Utnapishtim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Utnapishtim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 10:05
Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

The Maxophone Live in Tokyo is really marvelous.

Now looking Forward to this one (11th Feb)

Great!...how many good news...
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 09:53
The Maxophone Live in Tokyo is really marvelous.

Now looking Forward to this one (11th Feb)

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2014 at 05:07

Sagi, in the last two days, I've listened to it about 15 times, just over and over! It's much better than I remembered, even if it doesn't have the dirtier sax and intensity that `3' does...which is what always used to disappoint me about it!

Now it even reminds me in parts of early psych Floyd. I'll post my review in the next hour or so, and I'd love you to give it that revisit and post your thoughts back here, my friend!

Will do!
Utnapishtim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Utnapishtim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2014 at 04:39
Yes Michael, I'm agree with you. The first album is like a love declaration to the music, the manifestation of the soul of the band, and I think this is valid for many bands at their debut. And the wonderful thing is when you start to listen to an album and then you are abducted by its sound, so you listen to it again and again...
Handshake
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2014 at 04:26

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8384858687 358>