Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 207208209210211 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 17:20
So they say

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 00:45
^ Impossible for me to pick between the two.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 01:02
I can't chose between LIZARD and ISLAND.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 01:20

1981. Arpaderba are an instrumental medieval folk rock group lead by the former guitarist from Raccomandata Ricevuta Ritorno and Samadhi. Reminds me of somewhat of the bands coming out of Brittany during this time like Avel Nevez or an instrumental Malicorne. Very nicely played (especially the violin), with just a bit too much gloss in the production to have any major impact on the scene. Minimum Vital would later take a similar approach (though with Baroque as a blueprint) and apply much more firepower. Still a very worthy piece and a surprisingly different sound to come out of Italy.

1971. English and italian singing.

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 05:20
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

1981. Arpaderba are an instrumental medieval folk rock group lead by the former guitarist from Raccomandata Ricevuta Ritorno and Samadhi. Reminds me of somewhat of the bands coming out of Brittany during this time like Avel Nevez or an instrumental Malicorne. Very nicely played (especially the violin), with just a bit too much gloss in the production to have any major impact on the scene. Minimum Vital would later take a similar approach (though with Baroque as a blueprint) and apply much more firepower. Still a very worthy piece and a surprisingly different sound to come out of Italy

Wow, Pierre, you had me sold at `instrumental medieval folk'! Is this available on CD, or is it currently some LP only rarity awaiting a reissue?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 06:29
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

I can't chose between LIZARD and ISLAND.
Of course, that's Umberto Fripp's project  LOL ................
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 06:42
Wait, how did King Crimson come into this lol?!

Oh, and `Islands' for me!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 06:49
Does anybody dig Le Orme's 'Venerdi' album ??  I tend to think it's a very nicely done Pop album, with the title-cut quite excellent, although I haven't given this a spin for a year or so.
coasterzombie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coasterzombie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 09:05
I like Vernerdi a lot more than most...Le Orme's "Black Sheep" album. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 09:14
Would love to come across that Le Orme album...I'm always fascinated by albums that mix pop with prog, and the 80's had endless examples of that!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - April 03 2013 at 09:16
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 13:11
Originally posted by coasterzombie coasterzombie wrote:

I like Vernerdi a lot more than most...Le Orme's "Black Sheep" album. 

I do recall your 3* review - that's what I'd give it.  I actually enjoyed it from the first listen.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 13:16
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Would love to come across that Le Orme album...I'm always fascinated by albums that mix pop with prog, and the 80's had endless examples of that!
It is yet another example of early 80's 'pop', fusing some clever and more elaborate ideas into the mix, making for a very pleasant listen - much in the way of Renaissance - 'Time Line'. The singing is there and the playing is thoughtful and not-so-simplistic.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 14:31
Lp's Michael, Help is ... required. Confused
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 15:32
An interesting album, by the ilalian trumpeter Enrico Rava working with a jazz group on Puccini's Bel Canto.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 16:42
Pierre, I do buy a mix of LP's and CD's, but without a good turntable setup right now, I've really been going for CD's more. It's also getting to the point where if I come across a second hand prog vinyl at a music store/Record Fair that I know is available for cheaper on CD, that is the much better option these days.....plus it will sounds pristine! :)

I still do have a romantic nostaligia towards vinyl though :)

Hey, FINALLY the Sensitiva Immagine showed up....after more than 8 weeks! You were not kidding about that `bootleg' quality, some of the worst printing I've ever seen lol! :)

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - April 03 2013 at 16:42
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Cortese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 16:52
Hi guys, I'm looking forward to more reissues of Radius (c'mon, BTF); these tracks are from his '76 record:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II5rfPXbkwY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6_g0jf2kcc

The following from the 1981's album "Leggende":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yUp2JxJIIQ
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 17:17
Andrea, the two first songs of Signore Alberto arereally nice Clap
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 00:18
Man, IL VOLO's debut is a beauty...........Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 02:07
A gem, Tom.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 03:21
Two months now and I'm still maaaaaaaad about this one !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 207208209210211 358>