Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 288289290291292 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 13:49
Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

Delirium will have a new album out called “L’era della menzogna” soon.

Great news, H. Their comeback is certainly one of the more successful of the 70s RPI giants. In fact, for me their comeback album is slightly better than their 70s albums!
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 13:52
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

Delirium will have a new album out called “L’era della menzogna” soon.

Great news, H. Their comeback is certainly one of the more successful of the 70s RPI giants. In fact, for me their comeback album is slightly better than their 70s albums!

Well, Todd and H, that comeback album was the first Delirium album I ever heard! I loved it so much that I then went back and investigated their earlier ones....and, of course, fell in love!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 00:11
Speaking of successful comebacks - I tend to go for Alphataurus ' Attosecondo album over their debut. It shares a similar sound to Anekdoten's Vemod album I think.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 09:44
^ I like that comeback album also, but for me it can't top their debut.  Something about that one hooks me.

On Delirium, I too was like Michael, hearing their comeback album first and loved it.  Am waiting now on getting their "71 - 75" compilation works.

Been into this one lately since it has been a while.  
Luciano Basso Voci album cover
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 17:22
Splendid album, Jim. 
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Cortese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 00:35
I only have Voci. How about his later albums?
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 10:11
^^

The second "Cogli il Giorno" is also very strong.

Don't know the later ones.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 13:36
The later albums I've heard follow in the steps of "Cogli il Giorno," taking the classical-style leanings of that album even further. "Voci" is still my favorite, though like H I do like the second one. After that they drop off for me.

My Gnosis Ratings

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 13:39
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Speaking of successful comebacks - I tend to go for Alphataurus ' Attosecondo album over their debut. It shares a similar sound to Anekdoten's Vemod album I think.

Just gave that one a listen, Tom--I hadn't picked up on the Anekdoten vibe, and being a big fan I thought I'd revisit. I do see some of those moments in terms of sound and composition, but I don't get the deep melancholy that for me is the hallmark of Anekdoten. I like the Alphataurus comeback album, but for me it isn't as good as the original--granted I really love that album, and I know for others it's hit or miss.

My Gnosis Ratings

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2014 at 02:09
All RPI fan should listen to this one : 

Quarteto 1111 - Onde Quando Como Porque Cantamos Pessoas Vivas (1975) LOSSLESS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOgr0zowR5M

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2014 at 15:48
^ Agreed! It's even really short, just like lots of RPI classics!

Jose Cid's album 10000 Anos is great too

My Gnosis Ratings

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2014 at 16:04

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Another one of my favourite Italians, whom I spin a lot, is Franco Battiato. How do you feel about ol Franco, Todd? Those first four albums of his hold a very special place in my heart. Clic, in particular, for being such a late bloomer:-)

Battiato is one of those artists that has been kind of evasive for me--meaning, whenever I listen, I think it's okay but don't quite understand all the fuss. Zappa is another one. I have Battiato's first four albums and another later one, but they don't hit that special level for me. Yet. Sometimes a flower takes time to bloom!

I have been listening to Fetus and Clic a lot lately, and they are really just hitting the spot with me:-)

I can understand the difficulty in approaching the man's music though, don't get me wrong. There is something incredibly enigmatic about it, almost labyrinthian actually.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2014 at 16:06
Oh and I adore the two Portuguese albums who snuck in the backdoor!! Hahah cheeky buggers!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2014 at 16:16
Jose Cid in person Smile

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2014 at 16:17

Wtf?!?!!!

- Douglas Adams
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2014 at 16:18
Urp. Each album rating just dropped a star. 

Dead

My Gnosis Ratings

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2014 at 16:19
The destruction of a myth Sleepy
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2014 at 16:51

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Just gave that one a listen, Tom--I hadn't picked up on the Anekdoten vibe, and being a big fan I thought I'd revisit. I do see some of those moments in terms of sound and composition, but I don't get the deep melancholy that for me is the hallmark of Anekdoten. I like the Alphataurus comeback album, but for me it isn't as good as the original--granted I really love that album, and I know for others it's hit or miss.
I probably should've specified that the sound of the rhythm section shares a similar sound to Anekdoten.
The debut Alphataurus is superb, no doubt, but Attosecondo has the edge for me.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2014 at 16:55
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

All RPI fan should listen to this one : 
Quarteto 1111 - Onde Quando Como Porque Cantamos Pessoas Vivas (1975) LOSSLESS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOgr0zowR5M
You know, the first time I heard this Quartetto IIII album, I literally applauded it. It's a knockout
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2014 at 17:14
Me too

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 288289290291292 358>