Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 303304305306307 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 23:08
^^Michael, thanks for sharing the Aktuala link, quite delightful.  Sort of a mix of Greek, India/McLaughlin's Shakti and American Indian Flute music.  Thumbs Up

^ Look forward to Ingranaggi Della Valle's new album!

Been getting into Area of late, I may be in the minority here, but I enjoy "Crac" somewhat more than their classic debut album.  I just got their "1978" album and it has made me chuckle at the humor projected in the album, but still great music....Insane! Tongue
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 00:25
Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

Found some samples of Ultreia and liked them.

Looks like I will buy this one, really much better than the other stuff I heared
fom them.

Great news, I am glad I managed to convince you to take another chance, I did and I like it. Clap
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog_Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 03:05
Not that much into Italian prog. It's not that I don't like it as much as I'm just not all that familiar with it.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 09:05
PT....jump in sometimes, there's lots of great stuff to investigate. 

Jim....Area is a mixed bag for me, sometimes I really love it, sometimes not so much.  Always respect it though, they brought a lot of new fans to Italian prog through the door of avant and fusion. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog_Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 15:23
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Jim....Area is a mixed bag for me, sometimes I really love it, sometimes not so much.  Always respect it though, they brought a lot of new fans to Italian prog through the door of avant and fusion. 

Yes I do plan on reinvestigating at some point.Wink Apparently the big three are Banco, PFM and Le Orme. Not sure who comes up with these rules though.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 19:01
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Yes I do plan on reinvestigating at some point.Wink Apparently the big three are Banco, PFM and Le Orme. Not sure who comes up with these rules though.

Well those may be the three most popular of the classic era bands.  Banco are the sauciest of the three, PFM are the most Genesis (lush English) sounding of the three, and Orme falls in between with a warm, mellow, romantic, keyboard heavy sound.  Those would be my quick crib notes. 

If your tastes are wilder or more modern there are other bands to recommend.  You said "re" investigate so maybe you don't really need any suggestions....in any case, enjoySmile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog_Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 22:29
Yeah I'm by no means an expert but those are the ones I am most familiar with although Le Orme not so much with the exception of Felona Serona which I heard once or twice.

For me it would go like this:

PFM--- Genesis especially Selling England era with a bit of very early KC
Banco---- cross between King Crimson, YES, Gentle Giant and ELP
Le Orme- Mostly an ELP sound with maybe bits of Procol Harum

Area sounded like wacked out fusion and Goblin just sounded like horror movie soundtrack music which apparently they were. ;)

I know about the basics including the bands I just mentioned but I'm not that familiar with the modern RPI scene. In other words I really haven't dug very deep either old or newer but especially not newer.

Edited by Prog_Traveller - October 19 2014 at 22:34
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 22:32

Jim, I know what you mean, for me, I have to be in the mood or just ready for that style of music.  I must admit, I do have a tad bit of fusion blood in my veins, so it came easier to enjoy I guess.  Although if I had not started into RPI through the "classical" way (PFM, Le Orme, Locanda, Banco, etc..), I may not have branched out into the wilder venues of the genre. 

Listened to Area's 1978 again today, there seems to be more bass work on this album than others that I have by them.  Really excellent!
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 22:53

Yeah I'm by no means an expert but those are the ones I am most familiar with although Le Orme not so much with the exception of Felona Serona which I heard once or twice.

For me it would go like this:

PFM--- Genesis especially Selling England era with a bit of very early KC
Banco---- cross between King Crimson, YES, Gentle Giant and ELP
Le Orme- Mostly an ELP sound with maybe bits of Procol Harum

Area sounded like wacked out fusion and Goblin just sounded like horror movie soundtrack music which apparently they were. ;)

I know about the basics including the bands I just mentioned but I'm not that familiar with the modern RPI scene. In other words I really haven't dug very deep either old or newer but especially not newer.

PT - Keep digging in the classics of RPI, great stuff in there.  Of the modern stuff, Egnon, Derlerium's (old but new) Il nome del vento, Ingranaggi Della Valle, and Unreal City are some I have really gotten into over the past year or two.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog_Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 14:48
Thanks. I have seen the bands Il Tempio Del Clissidre and La Maschera de Cera live so I can recommend them to you.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 17:38

Goblin just sounded like horror movie soundtrack music which apparently they were. ;)

Please listen to Roller. Then select Non Ho Sonno from the sidebar and listen to that, too. Smile

Edited by verslibre - October 20 2014 at 17:39
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 19:45
Jim, I like 1978 too.  Probably play that one more than their earlier ones. 

PT, good luck with journey there is a ton both old and new.  Thumbs Up  

tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 19:54
Goblin's Roller -----MIAM! Deeeelicious ! 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 19:59
Oohh, let me fal at the altar of `Roller' with the rest of you freaks!

Prog Traveller, would you perhaps like some of us to suggest a couple of titles for you to look into? Perhaps a mix of `reliable' titles that are frequently thought of as defining RPI titles?

I'll get the ball rolling:

Museo Rosenbach's `Zarathustra':

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=967
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 17:24
Somewhere I have a list of suggestions.....don't ask me whereLOL

That's a good one Aussie!

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 23:55

Somewhere I have a list of suggestions.....don't ask me whereLOL

That's a good one Aussie!

Was this the list you were thinking of?

You provided me this link when I first stumbled into the den asking about RPI.  It was my guide I used after I bought my first couple of RPI albums and fell head over heels for the genre.

PS - Nice Classic Dodge!

Edited by AEProgman - October 21 2014 at 23:57
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 20:38
I remember that list Jim!  LOL 

Some great stuff on there.  But I had another updated one somewhere at home, not here....just one I had created after hearing many more albums.  Can't find it though.  But that one will serve as a good starting point for bands "beyond the big 3"

Oh, not my car....i can only dream of a ride like thatCrySmile

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 10:45
Any Claudio Rocchi fans out there?

I just listened to his Volo Magico last night. What a beautiful record!!! I played that thing over and over again when I first got it, and have since then been kind of reluctant to revisit it. What if it wasn't as good as I remembered?LOL
Safe to say, I had nothing to worry about. The centre piece, in particular, left me completely in awe. 
For any of you guys who are wondering how RPI fares when it's mixed with an Eastern psych twist, this is the album for you.

Rocchi was even part of the Hare Krishna movement at one point - for then afterwards to make a complete u-turn musically and come back with a grim and dystopian electronic effort called Suoni di Frontiera. The difference between that and his early Volo Magico days is like the difference there is between Bob Dylan and Cradle of Filth.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 10:56
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Pierre!

Thank you for originally bringing the Aktuala band to my attention! I bought the 3 CD reissues a few months back, and just got around to reviewing the first one now. What a special, wonderful band!

Hey Michael

I really liked that review! So cool to see other folks getting into this one-of-a-kind band. I called them Krautfolk in my review, and that seems to sum up my thoughts nicely. It's like they somehow managed to suck in every folk tradition from Japan to Sicily and then made it into their own sound. I love all three records. Can't really say which one I prefer tbh. 

Oh and of you dig them, then remember to check out percussionist Lino Capra Vaccina's solo debut Antico Adagio.
Very experimental release akin to Battiato/Faust/Kraut in general.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 11:23
David I listened to a TON of Rocchi as we worked through his eval and researching phase.  Quite a unique artist....been a long time since I listened so thanks for the YT clip!  Beer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 303304305306307 358>