Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 347348349350351 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2016 at 10:14
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Just ordered some discs from Syn-phonic. Among them was the new album by Moogg. Sounds awesome!

Just reviewed it and it is awesome. I guess technically it's Jazz Rock/ Fusion but with those Italian vocals I keep mine in the RPI department.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2016 at 12:46
^Superb, top 5 of the year for me. Great review John. Amazing album. Moogg
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2016 at 12:57
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

^Superb, top 5 of the year for me. Great review John. Amazing album. Moogg

Top five, that's awesomeClap And thanks for the nice words. My oldest daughter and her husband were in Seattle watching their beloved Dolphins play the Seahawks what a month or more ago. They enjoyed the city, took in a concert too. Oh and they met Dan Marino who was on their flight from Toronto to Seattle. 
I'm surprised I'm not hearing more comments about Moogg's latest. Top shelf stuff.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 01:58
Anyone else enjoy this rather unappreciated gem?

FESTA MOBILE Diario Di Viaggio Della Festa Mobile

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=2711

Always a lovely listen!
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 02:26
Of course ! 

Afficher limage dorigine
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 02:37

On to this one now...one that I really enjoy, but it's a shame the whole album isn't as good as that first track, gets your hopes up!

GRUPPO 2001 - L'Alba di Domani

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=5161

I always loved their single `Messagio' as well, lovely tune!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 03:26
Exactly my thoughts  Thumbs Up
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 07:16
^^^ Love the Festa Mobile album, have not listened to it lately.  Time to break it out again!

Not familiar with the Gruppo work.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 07:28
Indeed Michael.  Festa was one of the very first RPI titles I got from Doug Larson.  I remember those days when his packages showed up....large boxes full of RPI as my bank account melted down.  Good timesLOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 07:35
That still sounds like a repeating Sisyphus-like cycle that I seem to repeat about every 3 months or so with Syn-Phonic Records, Jim!

My Ipod crashed a few months back and I'm slowly putting everything back on it, but there's been so many RPI discs that I've all of a sudden remembered, cue me sending an email home from work with - "REMEMBER: xxx title"!

Next up will be the E.A.Poe album, it's been a few years since I dug it out, and I remember how much I worshipped that one!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - December 29 2016 at 07:35
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 07:41
Yes, Greg too.  I'm sure the RPI fans from this site alone have put both their kids through college. 
andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andreol263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 08:13
I remember that Generazioni album, pretty good music in this one, when i first seen the cover i laughed, but when i listed the music it was so diferent from what i imagined, but was so good that i simply become addicted to this album for a very long time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 10:02
Nostalgia, nostalgia ...

Afficher limage dorigine
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 14:25
Taking Michael's lead to check out some old gems, I threw on the EA Poe as I washed the dishes.  Ahhhh, what is it that makes these innocuous 32 minute ancient rarities so much more appealing to me than the bloated 80 minute modern opus that takes itself so seriously? 

Certainly not nostalgia.  When EA Poe came out I was a little boy with zero appreciation of Italian culture or music, I was too busy riding my bike and chasing snakes in the field.  The length of the old albums is certainly much appreciated.  As my buddy Colin used to say when talking about the Grateful Dead...."yeah its OK, but jeezus just get to the f**king point."  Colin didn't care for the 42 minute Dark Star live version. 

I love how the classic era RPI cobbled together lots of little ideas, each with immediacy, stitched them together into something pleasing.  The recording sound so live and unpolished, yet good enough.  The analog keys, the little acoustic sunbursts out of no where.  So much more of the folk/Italian song tradition coming through.  In the case of Poe, some nice gritty bluesy guitar here and there. 

Wonderful little album that wasn't trying to shake the world. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2016 at 02:58
My nostalgia had something to do with my first visits on the thread. 
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2016 at 05:22
Something new by a nostalgic band: Locanda delle Fate

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andreol263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2016 at 07:12
https://play.spotify.com/track/4XWrPSpDjPH2fXxPZwGoj5
Listen to the first track from the new album of Universal Totem Orchestra, it's AMAZING!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2016 at 08:01
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

My nostalgia had something to do with my first visits on the thread. 

Understood my friend.  Smile

Today I am spinning that old Exploit album from '72....."Crisi"  Heart  Love that cover art. 

My favorite 2016 RPI remains Testa's "Andrea" although it must be stated I have not heard very much RPI this year.  I've been listening to only limited amounts of prog rock of late. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andreol263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2016 at 08:04
^Man, this year Italy was PHENOMENAL!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2016 at 08:09
Almost every year is, in my estimationBig smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 347348349350351 358>