Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 354355356357358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2019 at 08:12
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Heh funny how that goes. I think the 1970s Italian scene is every bit as brilliant as the British - I may even prefer it to be honest.
But I tend to look past Banco, Orme and PFM these days. I much prefer Battiato, Battisti, Delirium, Osanna, Cervello, Aktuala, Area, Semiramis, Rocky's Filj and the like. Italy had such a vast and deeply eclectic scene going from the swampy almost Krautrocking avantguarde of Battiato's early work to the deep earthy colours of Delirium. The shift in style is immense yet there is still a warmblooded Italian handshake going on there - even if the artists never knew of each other. 
I find the same sort of thing happening in Germany at the same time with bands from either end of the country somehow conjuring up a similar feel and sensation in the music. Often without knowing of the other methinks.

You are right. We Italians are famous for self-denial and always think that abroad are better than us. Anyway, I agree with you, Italian progressive rock is of a high standard and very varied. I dont particularly love PFM, Banco and Orme (but not even EL&P, Genesis and Yes). I prefer, like you, Area, the first Battiato (but I also like the last Battiato), Osanna, Delirium (I also really like Ivano Fossati solo) ... and Balletto di Bronzo, Museo Rosenbach etc.

But I love most Family, King Crimson, Van der Graaf and Hammill solo, Robert Wyatt, Roxy Music...

Edited by jamesbaldwin - January 28 2019 at 08:13
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 21:09
Apparently, per Discogs, the band Goblin performs this work by Cipriani.

RIP to Mr. Cipriani who passed away last fall. 

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2019 at 01:49
So sad, I did not know. This album with Goblin is great, Jim, very mysterious.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2019 at 08:57
Pierre, his other scores are wonderful too! I'm going to have to check out a bunch of this guy's work now. I've been sampling them on YT. Smile

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2019 at 11:29
Solamente Nero is superb. The 2007 remaster was limited to 1000 copies. I'm glad I have one.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2019 at 14:13
oh my....  Heart  

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2019 at 18:39
I've always said here that many Italian composers (and not only Goblin) could belong to RPI. Ennio Morricone is of course the best example, but Cipriani, Micalizzi, Migliardi, Ferrio and some others are essentials too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSspXHd3ABs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxU-s_sF_3Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA3PA2rB0eA
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2019 at 09:27
Lots of good stuff in that direction. I also like Fabio Frizzi

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2019 at 20:47
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2019 at 12:08
A lot of 70s bands with Releases this year:

Dalton
Celeste
Goblin (actually released last year, but I think not available until this year)
R.R.R. (LP only and very short)

Banco, Sezione Frenante and Pholas Dactylus with new Albums later this month

Spettri are working on a new Album too.

Murple where recoding something but that seems to have gone with the wind...

What do you think and what band would you like to come back?

Edited by TheH - May 05 2019 at 12:11
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2019 at 13:28
^ As always, I appreciate your input, H. 

I was pleasantly surprised by the new Celeste album--very much in the same vein as their best work. 

And I was shocked by how good the new Banco is! I think Silly Puppy's excellent review currently on the front page sums up my feelings on it. Fantastic album.

RRR was pretty good but really short. 

Can't really comment on the Goblin as they're not really in my wheelhouse.

I would love another recording by Latte e Miele! Their reworking of Passio was amazing, and Marco Polo from a few years ago was great too. 

After the excellent Delirium album in 2009 (Il Nome del Vento), I thought the last one took some significant steps backward--that was a disappointment. Same with PFM on the last one--I love the AD 2010 album, and the In Classic was pretty good too, but Emotional Tattoos...  And I've enjoyed Aldo Tagliapietra's solo work, especially L'Angelo Rinchiuso, much more than the recent Orme reworkings. 

The Spettri album could be good, the 2015 album was quite good. I look forward to hearing that one! 

The live Cervello album was great! Some new material from them would be welcome. 
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2019 at 07:33
Hi Todd!

Latte e Miele has a spin off called Lattemiele 2.0 who will release a CD in June.
They are the Keyboardist and the Bass Player that joined on the third album in the 70s.

Also love that Cervello Live Album, still have to get the DVD of the concert. A new Album would be great!

I share your impressions for the other bands, I feel the same about them.

That new Dalton Album is really lovley, you should test it out.

Edited by TheH - May 16 2019 at 07:34
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 09:04
Loving the new Banco LP!!! Shockingly good.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 16:39
^ I'm listening to it again right now, and I said aloud, "I'm so happy that this album is so good!" I had to come and say it again. I'm so very surprised, and boy is it good to have Banco back doing some great original music. Tony D'Alessio won't make me forget Francesco (who could?), but he's an excellent vocalist too. 

Don't delay! Grab this one!

My Gnosis Ratings

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 14:50
I found out today by accident that there's a pretty open minded and varied music show on RAI with quite a bit of interesting discussion, "Nessun Dorma". Today's episode had a piano theme and a major guest was Area keyboarder Patrizio Fariselli. He played some stuff live but they also showed a historical video of "Arbeit Macht Frei" and amazingly he played a lost Area song of 1978 that had never been played live because of D. Stratos's death with some young musicians. He came over as fresh and active as ever. I wasn't aware of this but he seems to have been active continuously since the old days, partly reviving Area music and partly doing his own stuff, which refreshingly is neither music from the past nor annoyingly commercial, but just confident good original music (I won't get into whether this should count as "prog"), maybe not as wild as in the crazy seventies but very worthwhile. Listen to this - just checking out his 100 Ghosts album (2018) and loving all of it:

...or...

Edited by Lewian - June 03 2019 at 15:23
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 07:47
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I found out today by accident that there's a pretty open minded and varied music show on RAI with quite a bit of interesting discussion, "Nessun Dorma". Today's episode had a piano theme and a major guest was Area keyboarder Patrizio Fariselli. He played some stuff live but they also showed a historical video of "Arbeit Macht Frei" and amazingly he played a lost Area song of 1978 that had never been played live because of D. Stratos's death with some young musicians. He came over as fresh and active as ever. I wasn't aware of this but he seems to have been active continuously since the old days, partly reviving Area music and partly doing his own stuff, which refreshingly is neither music from the past nor annoyingly commercial, but just confident good original music (I won't get into whether this should count as "prog"), maybe not as wild as in the crazy seventies but very worthwhile. Listen to this - just checking out his 100 Ghosts album (2018) and loving all of it:

He also tours with "Free Area Project" where he plays also older Area stuff. They have a female vocalist.
You can find some concerts by them on YT.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 09:32
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

^ I'm listening to it again right now, and I said aloud, "I'm so happy that this album is so good!" I had to come and say it again. I'm so very surprised, and boy is it good to have Banco back doing some great original music. Tony D'Alessio won't make me forget Francesco (who could?), but he's an excellent vocalist too. 

Don't delay! Grab this one!

Tony does such a great job on this but Francesco was the best rock singer ever. Big shoes to fill.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 16:10
^ I'm ashamed to say that I almost didn't give this album a chance because I thought those shoes just couldn't be filled. And they aren't--but Tony brings new shoes to the project. It also makes me understand that this band really has been Vittorio Nocenzi's baby from day one.

My Gnosis Ratings

Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 22:18
I have dipped my toes in RPI over the past year with a small collection of what this website seems to deep the best releases. I haven't listened to all of them extensively, but some of them that I have are among my favorite prog albums. Among them are PFM's Per Un Amico and L'Isola Di Niente. I have them both digitally, and though I would like to have physical copies, all I can seem to find are the english versions. So my question is thus. Having only listened to the Italian versions, but knowing that the English versions do differ in places, are Photos Of Ghosts and The World Became The World recommendable to pick up on vinyl more or less in lieu of their Italian counterparts?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2019 at 15:40
Forza Italia sounds much better than Long live the king.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 354355356357358>