Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShould marijuana be legalized?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 38>
Poll Question: Should marijuana be legalized?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
105 [80.77%]
25 [19.23%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 06:05
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

I think stoners are generally the dullest people on the planet

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 06:50
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

Yes. One big problem though is driving under the influence of it. I've never used it myself, but apparently when you do you'll have to wait a couple of days until you're allowed to drive a car. That will certainly be a problem, even if it is legalized.
Its cars that should be illegal, not marijuana.But its obvious that it should be legalized. These kinds of arguments are irrelevant, as long as countries where its still illegal, like Germany and UK have a higher percentage of the population using "soft drugs" than in the Netherlands. So with legalizing, you get less drugrelated issues, not more. Punishing, or even send to jail people that smoke to get high (and forcing them to interact with the crimeworld) is a waste of time, money and resources.(Btw: I think stoners are generally the dullest people on the planet, and only poison myself with alchohol)

I think Frank Zappa once proclaimed that smoking dope was the most boring pursuit possible, other than watching TV. I have some sympathy for this view, but to be honest I'd rather be in the company of people who are stoned and just chilling out, than morons who have been on the beer all day, and are starting to get maudlin or agressive. That's a thousand times worse in my opinion, than someone who is just stoned. I've known too many people who turn into total w&nkers when drinking.

I dont smoke these days. I struggle to get anything done anyway, for other reasons, so getting stoned makes this worse, but as someone who generally gets sick before he gets drunk, I dont enjoy alcohol much, and generally speaking would favour being stoned any day of the week. Horses for courses.

I dont advocate use of any drugs, that includes drink.

Edited by Blacksword - August 25 2010 at 07:10
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 06:57

I think all drugs should be legal, including crystal-meth or whateven drug there is. make it cheaper and easier to obtain.

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 07:03
Originally posted by Site Rules & Guidelines Site Rules & Guidelines wrote:

5. No Illegal activities. Posts and threads promoting ....drug abuse, or any other form of illegal activity are not permitted. Any such posts will be deleted, and the member warned.

Careful, people

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 07:08
I voted "no", and I would always vote "no" about any idea of legalizing any drugs. I already support the "fight" against tobacco and alcoholism.

A few days ago, a friend of mine explained me why he was against this legalization: as long as marijuana is forbidden, its users would keep with this "grass" and would be less likely to try hard drugs.
I'm not sure his theory is correct, but that would be an idea I could throw in the discussion.
The Sleepwalker View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 07:16
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

I voted "no", and I would always vote "no" about any idea of legalizing any drugs. I already support the "fight" against tobacco and alcoholism.

A few days ago, a friend of mine explained me why he was against this legalization: as long as marijuana is forbidden, its users would keep with this "grass" and would be less likely to try hard drugs.
I'm not sure his theory is correct, but that would be an idea I could throw in the discussion.
As far as I know the Netherlands have relatively less hard drug addicts than the US. I'm not 100% sure though.

Edited by The Sleepwalker - August 25 2010 at 07:16
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 07:23
Originally posted by The Sleepwalker The Sleepwalker wrote:

As far as I know the Netherlands have relatively less hard drug addicts than the US. I'm not 100% sure though.

Indeed they do.

And I voted yes; I'm all for people being able to put whatever they want into their body.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 07:24

As I said, it's the idea of this friend of mine. I'm not sure things work this way. After all, from what I heard and read, there's not a lot of people who take hard drugs after having been potheads. These two "drug cultures" are too much different to permit the existence of some "scales" between them. It can exist, but it doesn't seem to be a majority, rather a small minority.

The potheads seem rather to be ready to thicken their lungs with nicotine.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 07:35
There was a report published about 5 years ago which showed that the UK had the highest rate of illegal drug use in Europe, along with Sweden (I think) Coincidenatlly both countries had the toughest anti drugs laws. The evidence speaks for itself.

But the whole issue is emotive and politicised. Many among our middle classes are terrified of drugs, and believe that they are only used and sold by hooded, black men with guns in alley ways. Sometimes the supply works it's way into universities where their innocent, defenceless offspring are studying. They smoke one joint, and the next thing they'll be selling their own kidneys for rocks of crack.

One way to lose an election is to 're-open the debate on legalising drugs'
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 07:42

I voted "no", and I would always vote "no" about any idea of legalizing any drugs. I already support the "fight" against tobacco and alcoholism.A few days ago, a friend of mine explained me why he was against this legalization: as long as marijuana is forbidden, its users would keep with this "grass" and would be less likely to try hard drugs. I'm not sure his theory is correct, but that would be an idea I could throw in the discussion.

As I said, it's the idea of this friend of mine. I'm not sure things work this way. After all, from what I heard and read, there's not a lot of people who take hard drugs after having been potheads. These two "drug cultures" are too much different to permit the existence of some "scales" between them. It can exist, but it doesn't seem to be a majority, rather a small minority.The potheads seem rather to be ready to thicken their lungs with nicotine.

There's many different types of drug users. Cannabis is often a 'stepping stone' drug. Although there is nothing in pot that chemically pre-disposes the use of any other drug, in many circles it goes hand in hand with other substances. I wont go into too much detail, in case it's misinterpreted as advocation of drug use.

Legalisation would arguably not expose the user to unscrupulous dealers supplying other substances, but while those substances exist, people will continue to go to the black market to acquire them. For this reason, ALL drugs need to be legalised and tightly controlled imo.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 07:43
Andy, your signature is distinctly apt for this thread

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 07:47
LOL
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 07:50
Oh yes!
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 08:05
Where?
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 09:07

As I said, it's the idea of this friend of mine. I'm not sure things work this way.

Stop listening to your friend. he has no idea what he is talking about.

and: Try and get some knowledge first, and then form an opinion.
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 09:58
I don't support most government regulations and restrictions, and this is one of them. As much as I discourage the use of drugs, there's no reason why the government can tell you what to do with your own body.  I actually completely agree with Frank Zappa's stance on this. He was an anti-drug activist, but supported the legalization of weed. 

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
spookytooth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 10:01
I take the Frank Zappa stance: I don't do it and I find it kinda dumb, but I'm all for legalizing it.

Would you like some Bailey's?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 10:07
I wrote a paper many years ago when I was in college supporting the legalization of marijuana and I still feel pretty much the same way today.   Probably the above Frank Zappa descriptions probably fit my point of view the best. 
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 10:21

The only reason marijuana is ever a gateway to harder drugs is because people have to become acquainted with drug dealers to get it. If you could buy it at your local grocery store, it would just be a gateway to...cupcakes!
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 10:51
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

Yes. One big problem though is driving under the influence of it. I've never used it myself, but apparently when you do you'll have to wait a couple of days until you're allowed to drive a car. That will certainly be a problem, even if it is legalized.

It's obvious you've never used it. Years ago (like 10) I actually did the stupid thing of driving a few times under the green influence and I can tell it's much more doable than under alcohol influence.And you don't need two days to get your head straight. You can be driving (properly) again in 6 hours... 

It's incredibly stupid and irresponsible to drive under the influence of marihuana though... I'm not supporting it. I'm just saying you have your facts wrong. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 38>