Topic ClosedCal Prog 2005

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cal Prog 2005
    Posted: June 06 2005 at 13:32

It was a long day, 5 bands on stage beginning at 11:00 am with a young group from Jersey. Spiraling were the surprize band of the day. Power POP with a prog edge. The rocked the crowd who didn't expect them to be sooooo good, especially with a cover of the YES classic SOUND CHASER that blew everyone, I talked to at least, away. They NAILED it! Keyboardist/Singer Tom Brislin played on the YES orchestral tour, BTW. Any proggers who enjoy alternative rock would find Spiraling an exciting new face.

Bubblemath takes the stage. Quirky, bizarre, unusual, strange.... they all apply. Bubblemath required oodles of concentration. Similar to Mike Keneally in the weird, but extremely talented variety of Prog, they wowed the tech heads and bewildered the normal. Eclectic and humourous. Bubblemath played THE KNIFE from Genesis. No one expected THAT.

Tiles. Prog Metal from the Motor City. Pat and Jeff, drums and bass respectively, partied until 1:30am the night before with Garion, Danbo, Marty and Stacy, among others. They showed no ill effects from the modest quantities of amber liquid imbibed. As a matter of fact, Jeff and Pat locked in tight and gave guiratist Chris Herin room to groove. The instrumental sections really provided the base to prove their technical abilities. They played THE TEMPLE OF SYRINX from Rush for their cover tune.

Last years show topper, IZZ, returned to claim the spotlight again. If you have a chance to see this band play, drop everything and GO. They blew everyone off the stage... again. Every facet of their show was sharp and entertaining, even the gaffs and miscues. Tom Galgano had to pause between songs to blow his nose for the first nostril solo in PROG history. How he managed to stay in tune is beyond me. IZZ introduced three brand new tunes from their upcoming release. Fantastic! One tune, the Deafening Silence, is a sprawling epic, multi-part suite. Another, Drop D simply smokes. Drummers Brian Coralian and Greg DiMiceli played a duet drum solo that surely wowed the theaters most talented percussionists. Paul Bremner consistently laid out some fabulous guitar solos. Brems has a unique tone and soft hands. His synth pedal work was sublime. Laura Meade and AnMarie Byrnes played a bigger part in this years show. Both ladies really impressed and have become more invovled in the overall IZZ sound. John Galgano handled more of the vocal chores then usual, due to Tom's cold. Solid bass-work too! After some minor technical glitches, the band solidified the top ranking with a rousing cover of YES's CLOSE TO THE EDGE. Truly amazing. All three singers took parts of Jon Andersons lyrics and put their own stamp on it. Another highlight.

After a very LOOOOOONG dinner break, The Flower Kings emerged from backstage and ripped into Last Minute on Earth. They played a very workman like set. Long solos, power vocals, professional in every regard. Jonas Reingold song for his baby daughter, Nora, that for me was the highlight of their set. Beautifully performed. Roine's solos, there were many of them, where sharp and melodic. New drummer, Marcus, added his own solo in a day dominated by great drummers.

The Flower Kings covered SOON from YES. 

Edited by danbo
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2005 at 13:56

Danbo don't forget Tiles drummer Pat Deleon stopping an instrumental and saying "I got the Fever an the only perscription is more cowbell!

Great comments on the show.  I will have more to add a little later but I think Spiraling was so fresh and blew everyone away.  The thing was for me is their gutarist did what, one solo the whole set then nailed Steve Howes parts in Sound Chaser to a tee.  Most impressive. Oh yeah the bassist looked Danny Partridge and then hit all Chris Squires parts too.  Just shook my head about that for a while.  I thought Tiles instrumentals were incredible. Pat and Jeff are two of the funnest people to party with.

Edited by Garion81

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2005 at 14:25

Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

Danbo don't forget Tiles drummer Pat Deleon stopping an instrumental and saying "I got the Fever an the only perscription is more cowbell!

Yeah, he really filled up the space with cowbell. HAHhahahahaha. Awesome sense of humour.

Pat Deleon (Tiles drummer) and Martybo.

Edited by danbo
diddy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2005 at 14:45
Sounds like a great day...

I've seen the Flower Kings two times (Ok, one of it was "Circus Brimsone" the instrumental version of the Flower Kings ), as well as Karmakanic and The Tangent...and the one who impressed me most was Jonas Reingold, every time  
And he's a very nice and funny guy btw

Freakshow Festival ahead, can't wait... 7for4, After Crying and Present

Edited by diddy
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear...
George Orwell
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2005 at 14:56
Originally posted by diddy diddy wrote:

...and the one who impressed me most was Jonas Reingold, every time  
And he's a very nice and funny guy btw

Jonas was kind enough to tell us that his 10 month baby daughter is proof that he can "Get it up." 

Jonas introduced himself and said "I'm from Sweden.... and Minnesota." Totally deadpan... the crowd roared with laughter.

I had the opportunity to ask each guy what the name of their first band. Jonas said "Pest" a 7th grade punk band without microphones. The singer used a megaphone. HAhahhahaha.

Roine walked in the hotel lobby door right as a security guard broke up th eparty and he was carrying some fast-food bags. I asked him what the name of his first band was. He replied, "Taco Bell." Funny guy.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2005 at 15:02

Garion and John Galgano.

diddy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2005 at 15:17
How about Tomas Bodin? I think he is REALLY nice. He was joking all the time...before, during and after the "Corcus Brimstone" Gig...he also speaks some german, he used it to make even more jokes on stage
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear...
George Orwell
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2005 at 15:47

Yeah, we talked about boobs and New Orleans.... actually, my wife started that conversation.

Thomas said his first band played Kraftwerk styled music. I can't remember the name.

diddy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2005 at 16:32
Originally posted by danbo danbo wrote:

Yeah, we talked about boobs and New Orleans.... actually, my wife started that conversation.

´

George Orwell
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2005 at 16:35

I am telling you that festival was one of the best times i have had in quite some time.  Well, since April 23 when I saw Proto-Kaw  Meeting Danbo and his lovely wife was a highlight.

One band neither of us mentioned yet was LA Underscore (Dan Listen to the EP it is great)  who played the pre party Friday night.  Two guitars, keyboards, bass and drums and Violin.  I don't remember the guys name who played violin but he worked on 1977 ELP works tour and is now the band leader for American Idol.  He was smoking on the violin and had a great interplay with the lead guitar.  Good kind of a Dixie Dreg feel to it. I think they will be having a new CD out soon.

Edited by Garion81

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2005 at 17:45

Oh Yeah, L.A. Underscore did rock the Radisson.

Here we are with Jonathann Launer (drums, percs and production: L.A. Underscore) and the Mirkin sportin' Garion... We need more Cowbell, man!

Yeah, the EP is very good. Sean Joplin, guitarist, reminds me of Ronnie Montrose.

Edited by danbo
diddy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2005 at 17:53
The Cowbell thing seems to be quite popular...

On the bonus DVD of Spock's Beard's new Octane album there was a running gag concerning the cowbell. Nick wanted to bring it back to the Rock Music because all musicians lost sight of this wonderful instrument...

On the following tour he often shouted something like "We need more cowbell" and later on the crowd demanded more cowbell...
Finally in Aschaffenburg (I was there), 3 people in the audience brought cowbells...After Nick played a Cowbell Solo (with one of the 3 Cowbells) he took the other two guys on stage to play a cowbell session (3 cowbells) to "At the end of the day"  THAT was fun

Edited by diddy
George Orwell
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2005 at 18:04
Did you miss my "Prog needs more Cowbell" thread? Check in the Prog Lounge.
diddy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2005 at 18:06

Did you miss my "Prog needs more Cowbell" thread? Check in the Prog Lounge.

Yes, I missed it  Thx
George Orwell
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2005 at 18:16

Great pix Dan!

Looks like you had a great time......wish the North of England would host something like that.Cry

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2005 at 18:17

I just got this from a friend. The message is from Cal Prog producer Papa Jim Harrell:

On the subject of Spiraling and Jon Anderson and sound chaser... What Tom
Brislin DIDN'T tell the audience was that he was talking to Jon Anderson to
invite him to CalProg as a surprise vocalist on the song. He had tentatively
agreed to do it only to learn that he had a prior comittment to perform that
night. The ENTIRE quote was "Tom, you must be MAD to attempt that song. I was on
helium in those days!"

I hope Tom doesn't mind me sharing that bit of trivia with you all. I have to
say I was choked up when I started entertaining the idea of Jon walking onto the
stage unannounced. THAT would have been something to see. But as it was,
Spiraling NAILED it. What a GREAT GREAT band they were!

Jim

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2005 at 18:18
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

wish the North of England would host something like that.Cry

They could, but with all the fog, no one would see it.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2005 at 18:20

I just got this from a friend. The message is from Cal Prog producer Papa Jim Harrell:

On the subject of Spiraling and Jon Anderson and sound chaser... What Tom
Brislin DIDN'T tell the audience was that he was talking to Jon Anderson to
invite him to CalProg as a surprise vocalist on the song. He had tentatively
agreed to do it only to learn that he had a prior comittment to perform that
night. The ENTIRE quote was "Tom, you must be MAD to attempt that song. I was on
helium in those days!"

I hope Tom doesn't mind me sharing that bit of trivia with you all. I have to
say I was choked up when I started entertaining the idea of Jon walking onto the
stage unannounced. THAT would have been something to see. But as it was,
Spiraling NAILED it. What a GREAT GREAT band they were!

Jim

Damn!

Calprog is turning out to be a world class event.  Glad Stacy and I are Patron's.  Very proud to be part of this festival.

Edited by Garion81

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2005 at 18:24

I'm sure next years gig will be pretty big... maybe two days?

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2005 at 18:25

Cannot wait!! At Calprogs Yahoo site they are already starting the requests for next year's lineup.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>