Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSci Fi Movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Poll Question: Which movie do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [3.85%]
2 [3.85%]
3 [5.77%]
1 [1.92%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.92%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [7.69%]
1 [1.92%]
8 [15.38%]
3 [5.77%]
14 [26.92%]
1 [1.92%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [9.62%]
1 [1.92%]
1 [1.92%]
5 [9.62%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 06:11
Originally posted by UndercoverBoy UndercoverBoy wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

By the way, are there any fans of the Dune books out there who actually like Lynch's Dune?  I am expecting a deafening silence of course. 
I personally really like David Lynch's Dune, and the Dune books are some of my all-time favorites.  Yes, as an adaptation it's pretty poor, but on it's own I think it's excellent.  Great scenery (Giedi Prime is classic Lynch), great soundtrack, and beautifully told.  My admiration might just come from the fact that I love David Lynch, but I do think some people rate it unfairly.

Now some Dune fans are going to call me a heathen..

Your not a heathen. We each have our own perspective and taste and it's fine that you liked it. 

I will say that visually, Lynch's Dune looks good, though his Ornithopter's don't look like what they should, but overall I think he did capture what things might have looked like. I did like the use of actual dialogue from the book in quite a few scenes. For me their were just too many variations from the book that he really didn't even need to make. But director's all have their vision and it is a tough novel to work with-huge scope and detail.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 05:47
Originally posted by Matthew T Matthew T wrote:

Remember James, Big Brother is watching Big smile John Hurt was the lead in the film

Oh the irony of having an actor named Hurt playing Winston.
And Mr. Whipple plays Big Brother. LOL
Richard Burton's last movie.
I'm not a fan the Eurythmics, but I love their soundtrack work.  Unfortunately it was stripped out of the DVD release.  Damn movie isn't quite the same without it.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 03:38
Originally posted by James James wrote:

And although I've not seen it, nobody has mentioned THX 1138.

that's cause it's friggin boring (I think someone has mentioned it)

Matthew T View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 01:45
Remember James, Big Brother is watching Big smile John Hurt was the lead in the film
Matt

VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 01:40
Oh and although I'm not sure if it's classed as Sci-Fi, I love Threads.  It's an apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic British made-for-television film made in the early 1980s.

Very thought provoking and upsetting in places.  I'm not sure I could watch it again.
Matthew T View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 01:34
I went for 2001 in the year of 2010 AD. Could have been worse ............Orwells 1984.Wink
Matt

VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 01:25
Has anyone seen 2081 at all?  I really want to see it, as I love Kurt Vonnegut's writing.  I gather it's a pretty good film (at only 26 minutes in length) and adaptation of his short-story Harrison Bergeron.

And although I've not seen it, nobody has mentioned THX 1138.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 20:52
Lynch's Dune is kinda bad. Not what I envisioned at all. The sci-fi miniseries is better.
UndercoverBoy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 20:21

By the way, are there any fans of the Dune books out there who actually like Lynch's Dune?  I am expecting a deafening silence of course. 
I personally really like David Lynch's Dune, and the Dune books are some of my all-time favorites.  Yes, as an adaptation it's pretty poor, but on it's own I think it's excellent.  Great scenery (Giedi Prime is classic Lynch), great soundtrack, and beautifully told.  My admiration might just come from the fact that I love David Lynch, but I do think some people rate it unfairly.

Now some Dune fans are going to call me a heathen..
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 19:06
I remember seeing the Lynch Dune when it was released, one of the funniest movies that year as I recall

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 18:42
Duhhh nuhhh naaa neeyyy uhhh...LOL  I still find it totally weird that Toto did most of the soundtrack.  I eventually got a CD of it.  Well, just for the Brian Eno bit. 

I've seen the TV version.  They did put in some cut scenes, like the bile being harvested from a worm and added more narration, but I'm not surprised Lynch said "take me off the credits". LOL

Looking at the poll choices I have to confess that II was such a Planet Of The Apes fan as a kid.  I watched the TV series, too.  Had some of the "action figures".

I'm not sure if I actually laughed at anything. LOL

v v v

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 09 2010 at 19:32
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 18:36
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

Ooh, pick me!  I like it.  Like I said on the last page, I know it doesn't follow the books very well at all, but I like it as a movie nonetheless.

I like it too.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 18:29

Ooh, pick me!  I like it.  Like I said on the last page, I know it doesn't follow the books very well at all, but I like it as a movie nonetheless.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 18:28
Originally posted by yanch yanch wrote:

Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Dune is pretty widely recognized as one of the seminal works of science fiction, and I've always viewed it that way (as sci-fi, and as for the books as some of the most important/great books of the genre). 

As for the comment earlier about Brazil not being sci-fi, I think it is, but it's definitely more of a borderline case. 
Sadly I have not seen one Dune release that gives credit to Frank Herbert's works. Personally I find the films/series an abominationWink

I like the movie, but as you said it doesn't exactly do justice to the books. LOL  Same with the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

The David Lynch Dune movie is not good. The extended version released later on was marginally better. The Sci-Fi channel did a mini-series version of it that was better.

Hmm, I like the Lynch movie quite a lot.  I've heard from most people that the director's cut is worse thanks to varying quality of picture/sound/etc., I own it but I haven't watched it yet (my copy of the movie has the original cut on one side of the DVD and the extended edition on the other side).  If I'm right, Lynch had his name removed from the credits of the extended one because he was unhappy with it for one reason or another (or more than one?).  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_%28film%29#Alan_Smithee_version

I haven't watched the TV series yet.  I plan to eventually, but haven't gotten around to it. 
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 18:27
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 18:13
Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

The Incredible Shrinking Man

Clap

Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 15:44
I don't think Clockwork Orange is Sci-Fi, because it can happen right here and now Wink.
Besides, I voted for 2001 Space Odyssey, my favourite SF film Thumbs Up.
yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 15:37

Dune is pretty widely recognized as one of the seminal works of science fiction, and I've always viewed it that way (as sci-fi, and as for the books as some of the most important/great books of the genre). 

As for the comment earlier about Brazil not being sci-fi, I think it is, but it's definitely more of a borderline case. 
Sadly I have not seen one Dune release that gives credit to Frank Herbert's works. Personally I find the films/series an abominationWink

I like the movie, but as you said it doesn't exactly do justice to the books. LOL  Same with the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

The David Lynch Dune movie is not good. The extended version released later on was marginally better. The Sci-Fi channel did a mini-series version of it that was better. 

I've read rumors that there may be another attempt to make a film of Dune. 

I think it is very, very difficult, especially today, to make a good science fiction movie from a great novel or short story, except perhaps as an independent film. That's why Moon and Sunshine were so good. These days the main stream studios want explosions, non-stop action and blood and guts doesn't hurt.  Those are not the main ingredients in much of the best science fiction. Story usually takes a back seat in most recent SF films.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 14:16

Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 13:47

<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>