Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNightwish on the progarchives???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nightwish on the progarchives???
    Posted: June 07 2005 at 02:29
Please i dont understand the connection Nightwish is utter crap and the worst pop metal band ever. Even you have to admit maiden being more proggish that nightwish
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 02:56

Originally posted by maidenrulez maidenrulez wrote:

Please i dont understand the connection Nightwish is utter crap and the worst pop metal band ever. Even you have to admit maiden being more proggish that nightwish

They're not utter crap, please. They're not pop metal either, it's just that gothic has become more mainstream compatible recently. But I agree that they are hardly progressive.

Can any Nightwish fan give me a good starting point to explore their progressiveness?

Lindsay Lohan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 03:00
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

They're not utter crap, please. They're not pop metal either, it's just that gothic has become more mainstream compatible recently. But I agree that they are hardly progressive.

Can any Nightwish fan give me a good starting point to explore their progressiveness?

I have always thought nightwish was utter crap even before they went commercial but that is just my opinion anyway i think there are too many non progressive standard metal bands on this site and yet there are many that calls mars volta and dream theater barely prog.  And i personally dont see that queensryche all that progressive eihter although operation mindcrime is great it is hardly prog.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 03:12

I have always thought nightwish was utter crap even before they went commercial but that is just my opinion anyway i think there are too many non progressive standard metal bands on this site and yet there are many that calls mars volta and dream theater barely prog.  And i personally dont see that queensryche all that progressive eihter although operation mindcrime is great it is hardly prog.

There's a whole bunch of classical inspired metal bands that I don't like, but many others do: Nightwish, Therion, Haggard, 3rd And The Mortal, ... I always suspect that their fans have not heard better alternatives, but maybe I'm just wrong.

As for their inclusion on this website, it's ok by me. There is no definitve authority that you can ask "Is this Prog" and then receive a "yes" or a "no". In case of Queensryche, you're preaching to the choir here, I agree completely. BUT there is a unique quality about Operation: Mindcrime, Promised Land and Tribe, I'd say there are definitively progressive tendencies. Add to that the fact that they heavily influenced the 90s prog metal. Furthermore many prog metal fans will agree that it is a band one has to know, if he wants to see the prog metal genre for what it really is. That all tells me that they must be included.

Returning to the original topic: I don't think any of what I said about Queensryche applies to Nightwish 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 03:15

There's a whole bunch of classical inspired metal bands that I don't like, but many others do: Nightwish, Therion, Haggard, 3rd And The Mortal, ... I always suspect that their fans have not heard better alternatives, but maybe I'm just wrong.

As for their inclusion on this website, it's ok by me. There is no definitve authority that you can ask "Is this Prog" and then receive a "yes" or a "no". In case of Queensryche, you're preaching to the choir here, I agree completely. BUT there is a unique quality about Operation: Mindcrime, Promised Land and Tribe, I'd say there are definitively progressive tendencies. Add to that the fact that they heavily influenced the 90s prog metal. Furthermore many prog metal fans will agree that it is a band one has to know, if he wants to see the prog metal genre for what it really is. That all tells me that they must be included.

Returning to the original topic: I don't think any of what I said about Queensryche applies to Nightwish 

Yep i agree that queensryche is far more progressive than nightwish but anyways it irritates me abit that iron maiden is not included as they are my favorite prog-metal band.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 04:52
What Maiden songs are progressive (in your opinion)?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 04:56

I would say seventh son, sign of the cross, to tame a land, rhyme are the best ones but they got many more. I would say they have progressive elements because of the nice timechanges, change in moods, epic and complicated lyrics and longer instrumental sections with certain signs of experimentalism

dalt99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 05:00

I LOVE Iron Maiden but I don't think I would classify them as "Prog-Metal". They have great songs with extended time frames but they aren't TOO far away from bands like Metallica and Megadeth which I definitely would not put in the prog-metal category.

However, I will say that bands like Nightwish and Savatage ARE on the site and they are not much more prog-metal then Maiden IMO.

Best of 2006 that I've heard:
PFM-Stati Di Immaginazione
Zenit-Surrender (Best "unknown" album)
Oaksenham - Conquest of Pacific
2007:
Phideaux - Doomsday Afternoon
La Torre Del Alchimista - Neo
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 05:03
I think the prog-metal community has embraced power-metal for its symphonic elements, but...  most of the time, I don't feel that power-metal is prog.  I DO think that prog-metal is definitely prog, though. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 05:34

Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

I think the prog-metal community has embraced power-metal for its symphonic elements, but...  most of the time, I don't feel that power-metal is prog.  I DO think that prog-metal is definitely prog, though. 

I agree on the Power Metal problem, but certain albums can be progressive, too. I'm thinking about Blind Guardian: Nightfall In Middle Earth and Kamelot: The Black Halo.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 05:37

I would say seventh son, sign of the cross, to tame a land, rhyme are the best ones but they got many more. I would say they have progressive elements because of the nice timechanges, change in moods, epic and complicated lyrics and longer instrumental sections with certain signs of experimentalism

See my comparison of Rhyme and Ghostship (Shadow Gallery) in the other thread:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=390

I don't think that timechanges and long instrumental sections make a song progressive. It depends on the specific song though.

Logos View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 05:38
Maidenrulez, I think quite a lot of people agree with you on this Nightwish thing, as there is absolutely nothing prog in their music. Regarding this matter, I have been told that once a band is accepted to the archives, it will stay there, no matter what happens. And you're just going to get loads of angry posts by NW fans if you go on with this...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 05:42

I think it's good that there are some bands listed that could be argued about. It's a good thing that they won't be removed, and it is also necessary that bands are not automatically added just because similar bands are listed.

anyway, Heaven's Cry should be added

firth_of_Fifth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 05:43

You all know this site wil become infested with 14 year old depressed girls who love nightwish..Damn you all...Damn you all to hell...

Charlton Heston style rant over..

BiGi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 05:46

Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

I agree on the Power Metal problem, but certain albums can be progressive, too. I'm thinking about Blind Guardian: Nightfall In Middle Earth and Kamelot: The Black Halo.

At the risk of being repetitive...what about Helloween's Chameleon?
A flower?

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 05:47

http://thomasr.nvg.org/mortal.info/av.htm - check the last four audio samples on that - it goes way beyond the scope of standard classically inspired metal bands. Or even metal, for that matter.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 05:48
Who on earth did get the idea of nightwish was progressive then? I know that nobody will accept maiden as a progressive band but who on hell did accept nightwish then?
BiGi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 05:50
Originally posted by dalt99 dalt99 wrote:

I LOVE Iron Maiden but I don't think I would classify them as "Prog-Metal". They have great songs with extended time frames but they aren't TOO far away from bands like Metallica and Megadeth which I definitely would not put in the prog-metal category.

However, I will say that bands like Nightwish and Savatage ARE on the site and they are not much more prog-metal then Maiden IMO.

Er...I was thinking that Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and ...And Justice for All by Metallica contains some interesting picks that I would label "progressivISH"...in particular I mean:

• The Call of Ktulu
  • Orion
  • Master of Puppets
  • And Justice for All
  • To Live is To Die

some of which have been revisited in recent times by Dream Theater...
A flower?

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 05:52
...and I thout it was some kind of romantic thread, not just another sh*t-metal-sh*t-thread....
dalt99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 05:57
Originally posted by BiGi BiGi wrote:

Originally posted by dalt99 dalt99 wrote:

Er...I was thinking that Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and ...And Justice for All by Metallica contains some interesting picks that I would label "progressivISH"...in particular I mean:

• The Call of Ktulu
  • Orion
  • Master of Puppets
  • And Justice for All
  • To Live is To Die

some of which have been revisited in recent times by Dream Theater...

I TOTALLY agree with you, however do you think Metallica should be called a prog-metal band OVERALL or a heavy metal band. Nothing of their music from the 90's to today would really be classified as prog-metal and the songs you mentioned aren't more prog then metal really. Just a "proggish" tone to them.

Like I said, if we include Metallica and Megadeth we might as well include ALL heavy metal groups and power-metal groups. I personally feel that a modern era band (1985-2005) shouldn't be entered here unless their music is at least 50% prog. Of course, who is going to determine what "prog" is by definition?

Best of 2006 that I've heard:
PFM-Stati Di Immaginazione
Zenit-Surrender (Best "unknown" album)
Oaksenham - Conquest of Pacific
2007:
Phideaux - Doomsday Afternoon
La Torre Del Alchimista - Neo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>