Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Classic Rock Presents Prog
    Posted: February 24 2011 at 16:17
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Funny how everytime a magaizine, website, whatever comes along which talks about the music I and many of my peers want to hear about, people immediately want to change it. There are plenty of places for new music to be talked about and heard. If you don't like the style of tha magazine as it is (Moshkito) don't buy it. Please do not though try to change it, spoling it for those for whom it is fine just as it is.

Easy ... you're missing the point.

And it's been the issue all along with any of the bands that we love dearly ... you pretty much have to find your "own" everything, in order to get your work done the way you want and not have to change ... to fit someone else's monetary ideals ... !!! I know that with a website like this, you pretty much have to take the publisher's side ... but we're already talking like the publisher IS the creative force, not the artist ... that we're more important than the artist ... and that is plain wrong!

I can sympathize with Hemingway wholeheartedly, and you might not understand it ... but 20 years later, you would have stood there and said ... I'm an idiot" ... I did not understand or listen to what was being said ... when that artist becomes massive and he/she had to go their own way, the harder way, because we could not see them for what they are, and instead said they were not good, or whatever.

The magazine is great ... I am not complaining ... I am just taking issue with an "editor" thinking that there was no art for 10 years ... which is one of those stands ... "I know it all in music" ... because I write it in a magazine ... and this site alone can dispel that to smithereens ... and you know it ... so why would you even accept or let a statement like that slide?

It makes me feel that the person really does not know the music, as much as he says he does ... it's that simple. But it reflects on the quality of the work in the magazine because they are not capable of getting past their own limitations or desires. And then they pick an obscure band to be "progressive", that has no name or connection or even a review/discussion from this board, to make us look ... not as "progressive" as the magazine. Or as good! Or as capable! ... all because they have color pictures and you have posters/reviewers that spend most of their time having fun in this board and not posting seriously enough to even consider taking them serious!  ... that would be an issue for many of the inner folks here, wouldn't it? ... but why are you playing 2nd banana when you deserve to be the 1st?

C'mon ... Easy ... you know darn well ... that just about anyone that fought and got, and became, in the so called "progressive" world, was originally not quite accepted, and that it took a lot of "ear-tuning" to get where we got ... so why, why? .. WHY? are we accepting someone saying ... it didn't happen? Specially when we know it DID!

C'mon Easy ... you have the best board, and the most important group of articles and publications ... and I'm sorry ... you don't need some of these and you can do better ... the question is ... do you want to? There always was that one truth about "self" in that new age thing ... and it said that all you had to do was look inside and you had everything you needed to get it done ... and YOU DO! YOUR BOARD DOES! And I'm sorry ... it's a pretty glossy thing, but your site is a 1000 times better than they ever will be ... and I couldn't give a sh*t about spending 15 bux simply because there were members of Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin on the cover! ... (I might if it were the groupies, they would be more interesing and fun elsewhere too!) ... when I have Alsous Huxley, Stravinsky, Britten, Nureyev, Misha, Hesse ... and many movies on my walls .... when some of these rock things ... are just not worth the hassle and are just another attempt at milking some more money off the public? ... at least your board has a lot of folks that are considerably better and write some magnanimous things, and are not afraid to stand up for new work ...

Be a maverick ... it's the only way you will be remembered! ... and I didn't invent that line!

Edited by moshkito - March 02 2011 at 15:37
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2011 at 11:35
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Funny how everytime a magaizine, website, whatever comes along which talks about the music I and many of my peers want to hear about, people immediately want to change it. There are plenty of places for new music to be talked about and heard. If you don't like the style of tha magazine as it is (Moshkito) don't buy it. Please do not though try to change it, spoling it for those for whom it is fine just as it is.

Extremely wise wordsClapClapClapClap
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2011 at 02:51
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2011 at 18:37
The magaziner has made an impact on the genre as now thousands will know the term and understand it. A mag like this can lead to the next addict of VDGG, Rush, DT, Porcupine Tree or Yes. That cant be a bad thing! i got into prog moe seriously when I bought a prog mag many years ago. I was amazed that the bands I liked were all lumped into one category - that was a fulfilling revelation to me.  
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2011 at 18:11
Hi,

Well prog is very much a self-sustaining genre. It needed to be to survive the fallow years in the 90s. It’s currently in rude health and has sustained that since the magazine has been going. Please don’t think I’m assuming credit for that – the genre was burgeoning before we launched. But I’d like to think we’ve helped raise the profile.

I disagree.

And we can easily mention Djam Karet, as one of the finest examples, and one that embodies the spirit of "progressive" a lot more than the majority of the bands listed in the magazine, and the "majors" that help sell the magazine.

No time, was ever the "fallow years" ... anywhere ... the real issue was that we were only listening to one thing, or the things that we had heard before, and we did not have good enough ears to know about, and check out the new things that were coming around ... we might as well say that Ozric Tentacles didn't matter and that Porcupine Tree ... ohh it's just some kid playing with tapes ... and we are failing to see that we had filters in our heads, and some of us did not have a clue as to why we were listening to that stuff in the first place ... we just liked it!

There is new music, all the time, any time, in every time, anywhere all over the world ... it might not be called "progressive" because that term has killed more music than it is trying to help ... and it is scary to hear you say that ... you, of all people should know better, but it is hard for me to feel that you do when you say that! And there are only two groups that ignore those musicians ... they are the record companies -- they are in it to make money after all so why show you a JoeNobodySchmoe ... and then the press -- which as you say, you have to sell magazines, and the down side of that is ... not discussing what does NOT sell, or no one knows, because that would not give anyone buying the magazine an excuse to buy it!  ... but it also tells me that you don't have the ability, or the knowledge, or the desire, or the spunk, to write about something new and different ... you have to "sell" with the old stuff!

Sorry, not trying to be rude, but just making a call for a wider point of view of what "music" is ... and we might as well chuck "progressive" because it ain't digital kind of thing ... it's really scary ... there is a lot of my history and my time that has been major and important to me. And there are bands and works in all the decades that matter ... but you kept waiting for the same 5 behemoths to come back from the dead!

How can anyone, an artist, a writer, a musician, come up and become the next Stravinsky, the next Picasso, the next Hemingway, when ... you are more concerned with the old stuff? ... you can't! In the end, you either have gutz, or your periodical will die. Let's see how many times you can publish The Oyster, or The Pearl, and discuss it, and find out that no one cares anymore! And prog anything will be dead because ... not for me! and I'm only one ...  and I might as well tell you this story, about Ernest Hemingway talking to my father about a translation, when my dad said ... what about the publishers? ... and he said out loud ... "F___'em"! ... and the older I get, the more I realize that the son of a gun was right ... and it is even sadder to simply hear someone ... yet again ... defend their periodical as "journalism" ... it's like a message in a bottle, arrived 30 years too late and the subject is long dead! ... Cry ... write your poem, now, if you dare!

Edited by moshkito - February 23 2011 at 18:57
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 07:46
Just a note on the CD with the latest issue. The track list on the cover is in the wrong order. The Pallas track comes first, then 1-6 are actually 2-7. When i firts heard it I though Pallas had really changed their style!Shocked
adisonclay View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2011 at 05:12
What a superb interview - thanks very muchClap
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2011 at 17:26

Very interesting interview Torodd. Thumbs Up

I enjoy the magazine and buy most copies but I do share the general views of it being expensive. I think it could be a mistake to make the magazine too regular as while I think many wont mind shelling out 8 quid every couple of months, if it ever became monthly then sales may fall.

Hope it keeps going after the current resurgence in prog has passed.
carlmarx38 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2011 at 16:38
Over at Prog Ears one of the main criticisms aimed at the magazine is that they are far too much UK oriented and with too much of a focus on old bands and not enough for contemporary acts.

I agree they are too UK oriented, and also too geared towards
     the pop side of the spectrum. Case in point : In their recent "Critics
     Choice" poll of the best albums of 2010, they voted ASIA's Omega
      as the 7th best of the year ! A lot of these bands such as Panic Room,
      Touchstone, and The Reasoning, are very visible because they are
      out there touring, so it makes sense that they would get a lot of 
       coverage. I still love the mag though, and think it's great that they
       try to get exposure for new bands.

Personally I think they manage the balance quite nicely, and don't think they could do much more for up and coming acts without seriously affecting circulation. The big names have always and will always sell, after all.

19ADD View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 11:50
They've shown us an incredible amount of support, can't say enough nice things about them. Incredible layout and packaging!!! Tongue

Edited by 19ADD - November 05 2010 at 11:51
Mile-High Experi-Metal
http://www.19add.com
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2010 at 00:50
Great Interview answering a lot of contentious issues very well.

Personally I love the mag as its pure PROG without other music infecting it overall and I cant see why the price tag is such a problem when you get a glossy mag chock full of prog and a great sampler CD!. I will never miss an issue and sub to my newsagent in Australia. I learn about new bands and old and love to sit down of an evening and read it. Those who complain are NOT worth listening to - the mag is excellent and I hope it continues forever.

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - October 06 2010 at 01:03
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2010 at 13:25
Funny. Over at Prog Ears one of the main criticisms aimed at the magazine is that they are far too much UK oriented and with too much of a focus on old bands and not enough for contemporary acts.

Personally I think they manage the balance quite nicely, and don't think they could do much more for up and coming acts without seriously affecting circulation. The big names have always and will always sell, after all.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
mattstevens View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2010 at 14:33
Interesting read - Classic Rock Presents Prog is so supportive to new prog artists (myself included) - great magazine.
"Ghost is a phenomenal piece of work that has already garnered countless frothing plaudits within the online prog and post-rock firmament" Classic Rock Presents Prog

http://mattstevensguitar.com
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 17:02
Hadn't noticed this interview before, but what a great interview, Torodd! Very interesting, thanks again for your great work!

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2010 at 12:51
Interesting Clap Though I've never actually opened the magazine. I hunted for it when the first one came out, but ended up leaving it in the store when I saw the price. Sad to hear it's still the same way, but perhaps some day in the future I can skip eating for a week and buy it once.

Edited by Pekka - September 25 2010 at 12:51
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 22:13
Great interview, and the price is a bit hefty, so I've only bought one issue so far, but I'll probably buy more in the future. Just not every one. Also, I just figured the price was so high because it was an imported magazine. XD
M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 21:32
Thumbs Up Torodd !!!
Prog On !
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 20:17
Thanks for that.  Great interview.

I have said in the past that the cover price was one of the reasons that I don't get every issue and I am glad that question was asked. 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 15:06
What a superb interview - thanks very muchClap

Also thanks to Jerry for both the responses and a great magClap
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2010 at 13:29
Superb interview Torodd, congratulations. Thanks to Jerry too for being so candid in his answers.  The comments re the price are particularly interesting. I can't help but feel that a reduction would bring a disproportionate rise in circulation though.

One side effect of the prog specials which I have perceived is that Classic rock magazine has lost its appeal for me. It seems that all the best stuff is being held back for the prog magazine. CR and Metal Hammer seem to have become more and more one and the same.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>