Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElectronic Music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electronic Music?
    Posted: September 30 2010 at 17:34
Alright, I've been a huuuge progressive rock/music fan for years now, but recently,  I have been obsessed at the level of obsession I had in recent years concerning progressive rock (probably even more obsessed), with the rapidly evolving electronic music scene.  The hip hop/electronic scene was never really of interest to me before, but with the emergence of incredibly talented producers such as Flying Lotus and Burial, my entire attention is starting to go towards finding the best and newest releases in this genre.   

What I wanna know is, are any other prog fans in the same boat as me?  I'm finding the world of progressive music to be less and less exciting partly because of the lack of activity/releases from my favorite artists, while guys like Flying Lotus are turning out LPs every year, and even releasing EPs between them!  I mean seriously Opeth was my long time favorite, but without hearing ANYTHING new for the past 2 years (going on three), I've gotta switch camps.  

But seriously, any other electronic music fans here?  Tell me some artists you enjoy if you are amongst the many! 

At least now maybe I can enjoy a Dream Theater album since Portnoy's gone...lol!
I likes musics
40footwolf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 17:49
I'm dabbling in modern electronica a little bit. Flying Lotus, Neon Indian and Mount Kimbie have all had good releases this year. I'd also recommend Chromeo, Kid606, M83 and The Knife if you're not already into those guys. 
Heaven's made a cesspool of us all.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 17:52
Originally posted by 40footwolf 40footwolf wrote:

I'm dabbling in modern electronica a little bit. Flying Lotus, Neon Indian and Mount Kimbie have all had good releases this year. I'd also recommend Chromeo, Kid606, M83 and The Knife if you're not already into those guys. 

mmm, I love The Knife's Silent Shout and Tomorrow, In a Year. Aphex Twin will always be my favorite electronic artist though.
40footwolf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 17:56
I could never get into Aphex Twin-drum and bass is sort of repellant to me, unless you're the Venetian Snares and superimposing the beats over Hungarian Classical. Tongue
Heaven's made a cesspool of us all.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 18:05
Originally posted by 40footwolf 40footwolf wrote:

I could never get into Aphex Twin-drum and bass is sort of repellant to me, unless you're the Venetian Snares and superimposing the beats over Hungarian Classical. Tongue

His early ambient techno is good too, and the music he released under the name AFX. My favorite Venetian Snares album is Making Orange Things so far, but that is more noise/speedcore than electronic. LOL
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 18:12
I haven't listened to anything new in a few years, but I quite like Autechre and Matmos. And of course the old guard of Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze and Kraftwerk.
kardios View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 18:25
any noise fans ?
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 18:28
Originally posted by kardios kardios wrote:

any noise fans ?

Merzbow ftw. \m/
Lozlan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 19:48
I haven't as of yet, but this post convinced me to check it out.Thumbs Up
Certified Obscure Prog Fart.

The Loose Palace of Exile - My first novel, The Mask of Tamrel, now available on Amazon and Kindle
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 21:21
Justice
f**k Buttons
Animal Collective*

*Not a pure electronic artist but their last album was heavily electronic as to almost qualify.
Synchestra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 22:01
I've been meaning to, I was youtubing The Knife and Fever ray (which is one half of The Knife but her solo music is much darker and more personal) and I'll be picking up any of their albums as soon as I get the chance. I also recently got Animal Collective's Feels album. Its a bit tough to get into but its growing on me. 
And being the proghead I am I've been listening to Ozric Tentacles and the like for a while, but the two are completely different.
Oh and I was youtubing some Kraftwerk the other day, boy were those guys weird! LOL
'Yeah, thats.. Whatever you're talking about for ya' - Zapp brannigan
JROCHA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 22:26
Ratatat
Flying Lotus
Ming & FS
The Avalanches
Health (  a combonation of noise rock and electronic music )
Animal Collective
M83
Johnny_Tsunami View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 23:11
Oh my goodness, glad to see all the fellow fans! And yeah The Knife and Fever Ray are both great.  Venetian Snares is so ridiculous too lol!  If anybody likes cool bleeps and bloops/classic 8-bit beats check this:

video is pretty amusing too!
I likes musics
Johnny_Tsunami View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 23:32
And now I guess I must ask, can we consider this music progressive at all? I mean groups like Animal Collective and The Knife are as forward-thinking as any "progressive" band out there, perhaps more so.  Sorry for all the Dream Theater hate lol, but yeah I think a dude like Flying Lotus is more progressive in the sense that his music has evolved more in the 5 years he's been producing than Dream Theater's has in their entire existence.  

And if odd times is what you're all about, sh*t just listen to Venetian Snares or Squarepusher and try to keep up!  My buddy who's a graduate percussion student is still just blown away by how rapid and insane the time changes are!  

Should ProgArchives start including these guys at all? Wouldn't be the worst thing ever in my opinion...

Edited by Johnny_Tsunami - September 30 2010 at 23:34
I likes musics
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 23:40
Originally posted by Johnny_Tsunami Johnny_Tsunami wrote:

And now I guess I must ask, can we consider this music progressive at all? I mean groups like Animal Collective and The Knife are as forward-thinking as any "progressive" band out there, perhaps more so.  Sorry for all the Dream Theater hate lol, but yeah I think a dude like Flying Lotus is more progressive in the sense that his music has evolved more in the 5 years he's been producing than Dream Theater's has in their entire existence.  

And if odd times is what you're all about, sh*t just listen to Venetian Snares or Squarepusher and try to keep up!  My buddy who's a graduate percussion student is still just blown away by how rapid and insane the time changes are!  

Should ProgArchives start including these guys at all? Wouldn't be the worst thing ever in my opinion...

Squarepusher is in JR/F.
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 05:15
Flying Lotus is awesome... Cosmogramma is easily one of my top albums this year so far. 

Another favourite of mine that isn't as well-known is Amon Tobin. He also incorporates a lot of jazz, but in a more laid-back, less spazzy way. And of course early Aphex Twin, Venetian Snares, etc. are great too.
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 06:19
I will not let a discussion about electronic music pass without mentioning the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, and Delia Derbyshire in particular. Fearless pioneers, creating impossible new sounds decades before the first digital synths arrived on the scene.

A little more up to date, Max Tundra has done some pretty interesting and insanely catchy stuff, fusing hardcore electronic/glitch styles with pop and even avant-garde/prog elements.

crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 12:51
I had a class on this in high school Back then the artists were Tomita,Carlos,Fast and Subotnick. The teacher did acknowledge ELP. He didn't like it though. He said that ELP wasn't true electronic music in the sense that Tomita,Carlos and Fast were.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 13:53
Hi,

Kind'a glad to read this.

My tastes have always been about "music" and they never got into "styles" since they tend to be repetitive and after a while, really boring. I like to make fun of one label, where all the bands are Zappa wannabe bands, and the only difference is that in one band, it's the guitar, in the next the saxophone, and the next a keyboard ... and the music is almost all the same ... what I like to call "the loungelizardfridaynightjazzbandmusic" at the local bar.

I have been a "follower" of the best that electronica has had to offer in the past 40 years, and I go all the way back to Beaver & Krause and Bob Moog and Terry Riley ... and have stuck with Klaus Schulze, Bryan Eno and Tangerine Dream all this time, and have even enjoyed the likes of Orb and Timeshard, and that offshoot from the Ozrics, and a few others.

I, just recently, went through a large collection of KEYBOARD magazines, and I enjoyed reading Bryan Eno's  couple of interviews. But one bit caught my eyes. Bob Moog had an article about ... "where's the knobs?" ... and that one had me. He mentions that the desire to search and play with the sound was falling off ... that everyone was going for samples and were not exploring the sounds anymore ... and this is so very true, and one of the reasons why so much music in myu ear, these days, sounds "pre-fabricated" and not very original ... it has become like the bar stuff mentioned above ... nothing new ... and it all sounds the same on top of it, except that we're going to find another sub-genre for something else tomorrow or next year.

In the end, Klaus Schulze and Tangerine Dream and Bryan Eno, are still experimenting and twisting the knobs (if you will -- although you now can set this up with the parameters instead of flicking a knob), and creating new things ... that most are not capable of enjoying ... it has become an acquired taste and one that not everyone can handle. I thought that KS and Lisa Garrard was great ... on another board, someone trashed me for it's stupidity and the idea that groans and moans makes lyrics, or music, for that matter!

I did not enjoy Aphex Twin, for some reason ... I had this thought that the music was too regimented and afraid to step away from the beat and just fly ... Klaus tends to also depend on beats, but he also has a lot of stuff that does not have a beat. Tangerine Dream changes enough with their personel that it is hard to say ... they are still doing the same thing. Catch their Phaedra 25th Annicversary Concert and you can see how the analog then is now played today ... and still sounds lovely as ever.

The biggest issue, is that publicity and appreciation for many of these acts is minimal ... even Keyboard magazine would rather feature some bruhaha about some keyboard player in a secondary band, than even mention something about people that really deserve it. The same for all the other magazines in that grouping, including Guitar and Bass Player. It's become a sell, selll, sellll, selllll, sellllll ... for the folks they support and are involved with ... a veritable media control and show situation.

We will never see Vangelis, or Klaus Schulze in America ... and no one cares ... you know how sad this is?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 14:03
Sounds like many participants in this thread might want to check out Russian band Roz Vitalis.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>