Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWho IS Frank Zappa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 40>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2012 at 11:02
I think the best place to start is FREAK OUT.This is the album that was a MAJOR influence on the Beatles SGT. PEPPER.The album itself like many of Zappa's is a social commentary on California society as well as a heavy critique of corporate America.The production is ragged,the music sometimes out of time and tune...all elements of the best music that came out of the 60's! lol
Zappa is very difficult to get into initially because of his non-commitment to commercial music and his incredibly complex and off beat harmonic musical mind.He is an incedible guitar player and a great intellect.In my op' Zappa,Mike Oldfield and Brian Wilson can be considered the grand old men of symphonic rock
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2012 at 11:13
Originally posted by Lifeofprog Lifeofprog wrote:

I think the best place to start is FREAK OUT.This is the album that was a MAJOR influence on the Beatles SGT. PEPPER.The album itself like many of Zappa's is a social commentary on California society as well as a heavy critique of corporate America.The production is ragged,the music sometimes out of time and tune...all elements of the best music that came out of the 60's! lol
Zappa is very difficult to get into initially because of his non-commitment to commercial music and his incredibly complex and off beat harmonic musical mind.He is an incedible guitar player and a great intellect.In my op' Zappa,Mike Oldfield and Brian Wilson can be considered the grand old men of symphonic rock
I had always suspected that Freak Out might have had an influence on Pepper, but part of me always thought that Zappa was too obscure at the time to influence much of anybody.  So I did a quick search on Google and did indeed find a reference to Paul saying that Pepper was "our Freak Out", referring to Zappa's album.  Interesting.

And welcome to the forum! Big smile
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2012 at 11:38
Zappa (and The Mothers) were relatively popular in the 60s and 70s (and 80s?). It doesn't seem like it when you read the history of music at that time, but every time I do a little research, FZ was quite the household name.
HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2012 at 11:59
Zappa until 1968 suffered from the Velvet Underground syndrome. Nobody bought his records, but the few that did all started a band themselves.

Edited by HarbouringTheSoul - October 19 2012 at 12:00
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2012 at 09:49
Frank Zappa passed away 19 years ago today.  I remember I was at work when I got a call from my friend telling me the news.  There was a friend at work I had just "turned on" to Zappa's work, and I went over and told her, "Frank's dead."  We both commiserated a while, consoled a bit by the fact that he produced a LOT of music in his lifetime, much of which had not even yet been released.  There would be more, and in a way he would live on.

12/21/1940 - 12/4/1993  RIP.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2012 at 21:22
Yes, today is the sad day. It amazes me that almost 25 albums (not including box sets like Greasy Love Songs, MOFO, or Lumpy Money) have been released since his passing, most of which are great, many including previously unreleased material, and should be in anyone's Zappa collection. At least 3-4 more are supposed to be out within the next year or so, including the Roxy performances, "The Lost Episodes Vol. II", and "Finer Moments", and it doesn't look like there's going to be a shortage of new stuff any time soon.

RIP
HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 02:57
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

At least 3-4 more are supposed to be out within the next year or so, including the Roxy performances

Don't count on it. They set up a ridiculous scheme to finance it, which revolves around selling the masters to a 'preview' CD to 1000 people for 1000 bucks, so that those guys can distribute them. Which might sound clever at first, but then you start to think about the quantities that these people would have to sell just to break even and realize that the whole thing can never work. There are maybe 20,000-30,000 people in the world who would want to buy this CD, probably less considering that a film version of it is supposed to be released next year. This amounts to 20-30 people per distributor at best. And from the looks of it, the ZFT is relying on the 1 million bucks they expect from selling these masters to finish the film.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 03:25
Zappa was one of the most diverse and incredible composers in the history of modern music.  I guess you already figured that out (in writing).  Now, from the 60's - 'Uncle Meat' is an adventurous double album showcasing many different styles and approaches the man undertook with his band of classy (if often drugged out) musicians (The Mothers of Invention).  From the 70's - The Grand Wazoo and Waka/Jawaka are highly recommended first up.  From there, most of his 70's work is impressive (if a bit crass toward the end of the decade).  The 80's, hmmmm, I'd say 'Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch', which tackles his brand of skewed pop and complex instrumental extravaganzae, again selecting a host of top musicians at the time.  From my point of view, you had to be a fantastic 'master-of-your-instrument' to perform with this man. I currently have 31 of Zappa's albums and find each have much to enjoy, even if some are more inconsistent than others.
Rushforever View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2012 at 13:13
few days ago I started to listening to "the best of... Frank Zappa". Absolutely incredible! 
And now this topic... maybe I need 2 or 3 years to listen WELL everything :D
Hard work!!!
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2012 at 10:01
I got Orchestral Favorites in the mail yesterday, I forgot how awesome that album is. Never owned a hard copy, and I got the reissue, along with a bunch of others. I'll be updating the FZ 2012 reissues thread soon.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2012 at 13:18
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Hate to say this, but despite his great image as a "merciless critic of the right", Frank Zappa  was a card carrying, dues paying member of the NRA. Oh, well, nobody is perfect. He still had a unique invective.

Yeah ... but he used his guns with his mouth!

And it is much better remembered and appreciated than a lot of killers and animals! You're still buying the albums and enjoying the music!

Edited by moshkito - December 30 2012 at 13:20
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2012 at 13:29
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Hate to say this, but despite his great image as a "merciless critic of the right", Frank Zappa  was a card carrying, dues paying member of the NRA. Oh, well, nobody is perfect. He still had a unique invective.

I have absolutely no interest in getting into the discussion of Frank as an NRA member, but remember, he was attacked on stage in 1971, leaving him crippled for the better part of a year. Of course, he always had a bodyguard when he was on tour after that, but surely he could have been attacked on the street, especially with having such a recognizable face. I'm sure Dimebag Darrell would have benefitted from being able to defend himself when he was shot and killed on stage a few years back.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2012 at 13:36
Frank Zappa is Jesus. Also, please, no religious discussions here.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - December 30 2012 at 13:36
Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2012 at 14:18
I prefer to think that Zappa was God.
Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2012 at 14:49
Cool article I just saw in the Chicago Tribune:

"Frank Zappa probably would have been intrigued.  The Chicago Jazz Orchestra's brave, often brilliant, sometimes thrilling, somewhat flawed Zappa tribute at the Park West on Saturday night gave his music a spotlight it does not routinely receive in the big-band jazz repertory.

Certainly the CJO does not often perform with a wailing electric guitar, howling electric violin and plugged-in, souped-up, hyperactive rhythm section driving the ensemble through treacherously difficult scores of this sort."

etc. etc.  Check out the article!  

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2013 at 10:46
What kind of a man would write these 3 albums in a row?
Lather

Conceptually, these all run together as a trilogy. The conceptual continuity is all over Frank's music, but these three are linked by the events surrounding Lather, the "in between tracks" found on Lather and Shiek, and you can even see that somewhere in the beginning of Lather, is a short version of Little Green Rosetta, and Joe's Garage ends with A Little Green Rosetta, longer and with a lot of crazy stuff. 

It's a 5+ hour listen, but how do you guys feel about this? I thought about it earlier, and thought it was a cool enough idea to present to the PA Zappa fans.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2013 at 11:35
I'm sure I've posted this before, post dejavoodoo.  The Real Frank Zappa Book is a good read.  My copy was ruined in a major house flood.

http://www.amazon.com/Real-Frank-Zappa-Book/dp/0671705725/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1357234474&sr=1-1&keywords=the+real+frank+zappa+book

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2013 at 11:39
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

What kind of a man would write these 3 albums in a row?
Lather

Conceptually, these all run together as a trilogy. The conceptual continuity is all over Frank's music, but these three are linked by the events surrounding Lather, the "in between tracks" found on Lather and Shiek, and you can even see that somewhere in the beginning of Lather, is a short version of Little Green Rosetta, and Joe's Garage ends with A Little Green Rosetta, longer and with a lot of crazy stuff. 

It's a 5+ hour listen, but how do you guys feel about this? I thought about it earlier, and thought it was a cool enough idea to present to the PA Zappa fans.

Guess I'm going to have to do this now. LOL

Also, I've been in love with The Adventures of Greggery Peccary lately. What a solid track.

Edited by The Truth - January 03 2013 at 11:40
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2013 at 11:46
So far, Finer Moments is pretty great. It's like a long lost album that should have been released in 1972 (actually, it is a long lost album that was supposed to be released in 1972). It flows like a Zappa album (quick segues between tracks), as it was created and edited by the man himself. This is the first time we've gotten something so close to a completely brand new Zappa album like this since the first 4 tracks of One Shot Deal back in 2008, which was an LP side that Frank made that never made it to an album while he was alive.

Guys, you have to get Finer Moments, it's not just a post-humous album of random studio/live tracks that Joe Travers and Gail Zappa compiled, or a full concert performance (as great as those are); it's a true, actual FZ double album, with studio edits, quick segues, and some other weird stuff, that fills in the gap between the Flo and Eddie era and the Wazoo era. Oh, and the music kicks some serious ass.

Edited by darkshade - January 03 2013 at 11:51
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2013 at 11:49
Never thought of those three as a trilogy, but since there is a certain common thread running through almost all of his albums, and since he treated his albums as part of some big macrostructure anyway, it's not far fetched at all to see them as a trio.

I will take this opportunity, though, to "call BS" on Joe's Garage a little bit.  I can't help but feel like the concept/storyline was just kind of grafted on after the fact, and it doesn't really make a lot of sense to me anyway.  A lot of the songs were recycled from older days (e.g. "Stick it Out" from the old 1971 "Sofa" suite, "A Token of My Extreme" from the Roxy era, "Green Rosetta" from Lather, etc), and that also suggests to me that he was reaching a bit.  Of course, it IS Frank Zappa, who couldn't make a bad album if he tried.  So it's still a good album, and it does seem to work on some level, both as a rock album and as a story line.   Still, there are too many random detours (Sy Borg? wtf is that?) to really remain convincing to me.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 40>