Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWho IS Frank Zappa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 40>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 23:00
What about Sheik Yerbouti?
HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 03:17
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

OK, I listened to the disk.
It's much more subtle than Money, but there are a few parts where the bass especially sounds more modern.
FWIW, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumpy_Gravy says that the Lumpy Money (one of the few FZ albums I don't have) liner notes say that Art Barrow and Chad Wackerman did add overdubs to Lumpy Gravy.

They did add overdubs, but that version was never released until Lumpy Money. The 1986 LG/WOIIFTM had the overdubs on WOIIFTM, but not on LG.

If you don't believe me, look here: http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinylvscds/lumpy_gravy.html

Edited by HarbouringTheSoul - January 31 2013 at 03:32
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 03:32
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

What about Sheik Yerbouti?

The backing tracks were recorded live, but there are so many overdubs on that thing that I would count it as a studio release. Contrast with Roxy & Elsewhere, which also has overdubs but is presented as a live album. Sheik Yerbouti tries to remove any trace of the backing tracks' origins as live recordings, and on top of that many instruments and all the vocals were overdubbed in the studio.

I agree that the album list needs some reorganization:
  • On FZ Plays the Music of FZ, four of the seven tracks are live recordings and the previously released version of "Black Napkins" is also an untouched live recording. Only the album versions of "Zoot Allures" and "Watermelon in Easter Hay" are studio recordings, so I would count it as a live release or even a compilation, but certainly not a studio album.
  • The Making of Freak Out! Project/Object is a boxset.
  • The Dub Room Special! is a live album.
  • Finer Moments is a live album.
  • The three individual SUAPYG albums are live albums, not compilations.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 09:45
Also, the ratings for Sleep Dirt all reflect the version with vocals, which is now an out of print version.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 10:14
Please keep the fixes coming.  Zappa's in my team's area, so I'll try to address some of these modifications when I get the opportunity. Big smile

As for things like the Sleep Dirt vocals vs. no vocals release, I believe the protocol would not be to add a new album for the "no vocals" version, but to note the differences between the various re-releases in the box devoted to capturing release dates, labels, etc.  And the fact that the reviews are for the "vocals" version is just something we'll have to live with.  I'll consult the Album Rules and Guidelines before I make any changes, to confirm this.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 10:21
Yea, because I would imagine Sleep Dirt would have similar ratings as The Grand Wazoo, Hot Rats, etc.since the 2012 version represents the original vinyl with no vocals.
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 10:47
My Sleep Dirt review mentions both versions.  I like the LP, without vocals better, but I still enjoy each.

And is not a collection of various live performances also a compilation?
I understand that many "live" albums are culled from numerous performances, but in most cases they come from a single tour.  To me, "Finer Moments", and even moreso "SUAPYG" are compilations, as they are designed not to highlight a single version of the band, but to show distinguished performances throughout the years.

But if others feel differently, I can respect that.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 11:08
That's one thing that makes Zappa albums interesting, really.  The lines between studio/live/compilation are kind of blurred, much more so than with most other artists.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 11:09
^ In that case we'd have to move all 6 YCDTOSA albums, One Shot Deal, Lather, etc.

Finer Moments is a live album meant to be released in 1972, it focuses on the late 60s Mothers, and the early 70s Mothers, so it represents only 2 bands.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 11:21
Zappa fans are quite detail oriented, I'm learning LOL

This has been an interesting thread to read through, morphing from a recommendations for beginners type thread into an appreciation type thread.

I was reminded of a time several years ago on a prog related Yahoo group, where someone asked where to start with Frank Zappa.  All the replies consisted of lists of albums........no single album recommendations.  The person replied saying that they really just wanted to try out one album........and the Zappa freaks told them that that just wasn't possible with Zappa and that if they were going to judge him by a single album they should just not bother.  The person asking then said forget it, they would just forget about trying Zappa.  LOL  Somehow, I think Frank would have approved.

For myself, I first heard Apostrophe / Overnite Sensation back in the late 80's.  I thought it was great and hilarious, but never really followed up.  Later, I heard  Filmore East and hated it (to this day I just can't deal with the Flo and Eddie era).  A few years after that I picked up Hot Rats after hearing it was mostly instrumental, and I was hooked.  I've been a fan ever since.  Some eras I like more than others (not really crazy about the first few Mother's albums, or the Flo and Eddie stuff, for instance), but all of it is worth hearing.

Ultimately, I have to agree with the Zappa freaks.........there is simply no one album of Frank's that will tell you if you will like his music or not.  You have to have a sampling.  I think Lather is great for that, but it's certainly not a cheap way to start on Zappa (though cheaper than buying 10 albums I suppose).

Anyway, I have yet to pick up any posthumous stuff (aside from Lather, of course) .  I'd really like to get the Wazoo album though, as I love the Grand Wazoo, Waka/Jawaka/Hot Rats "trilogy".  I'm also partial to the instrumental stuff, though I've come to really appreciate much of the lyrical and vocal side of Zappa's material.

I think though, that the instrumental side is probably the best "in" for prog fans wanting to hear Zappa's music for the first time.
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 11:24
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

^ In that case we'd have to move all 6 YCDTOSA albums, One Shot Deal, Lather, etc.

Finer Moments is a live album meant to be released in 1972, it focuses on the late 60s Mothers, and the early 70s Mothers, so it represents only 2 bands.

The Helsinki Concert is a single performance.  Lather, like many of Zappa's "studio" albums, has many tracks based on live recordings, but overdubs and editing turn it into something else.  We could create a whole new category based on Zappa's technique.  Needless to say, Frank deserves some uniformity on his page.  I'm content to let the collabs who control his page to make the ultimate decision.

However, as I was in the Finer Moments page editing my review, I changed it to live, as that seemed the general consensus.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 11:37

The Helsinki Concert is a single performance.  Lather, like many of Zappa's "studio" albums, has many tracks based on live recordings, but overdubs and editing turn it into something else.  We could create a whole new category based on Zappa's technique.  Needless to say, Frank deserves some uniformity on his page.  I'm content to let the collabs who control his page to make the ultimate decision.

However, as I was in the Finer Moments page editing my review, I changed it to live, as that seemed the general consensus.

FZ's page needs clean up or something. It's all those Beat The Boots that make it look unorganized. Those albums should all be moved to a different section.

It's true, that if Guitar and Trance-Fusion are under Live Albums, so should Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar album(s).

I moved Dub Room Special to Live Albums, and MOFO and FZ Plays The Music of FZ to compilations because those were obvious changes that needed to be made.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 12:03
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

I was reminded of a time several years ago on a prog related Yahoo group, where someone asked where to start with Frank Zappa.  All the replies consisted of lists of albums........no single album recommendations.  The person replied saying that they really just wanted to try out one album........and the Zappa freaks told them that that just wasn't possible with Zappa and that if they were going to judge him by a single album they should just not bother.  The person asking then said forget it, they would just forget about trying Zappa.  LOL  Somehow, I think Frank would have approved.

Quite true LOL.  I spent some time on zappa.com's message board, and it almost became a running joke that whenever a newbie would ask for recommendations, the stock answer was "just get them all."  Because it eventually boiled down to that anyway, if you're going to ask a rabid fan for recommendations.

Edited by HolyMoly - January 31 2013 at 12:04

-Kehlog Albran
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 13:00

Also, the ratings for Sleep Dirt all reflect the version with vocals, which is now an out of print version.

Mine doesn't. In fact, one of the first things I did when the remaster came out was to change my rating from 4 to 5 stars. But yeah, it's quite unfortunate that the album is now stuck with all those reviews and ratings that punish it for the vocals and overdubs it no longer has. Not that we can do anything about it.

And is not a collection of various live performances also a compilation?

Well, by that standards very many Zappa albums are compilations. I view a compilation as something with primarily released stuff on it.

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Zappa fans are quite detail oriented, I'm learning LOL

Oh you have no idea how obsessive we can be. Wink

FZ's page needs clean up or something. It's all those Beat The Boots that make it look unorganized. Those albums should all be moved to a different section.

Were they even released individually? Because if not, we might consider deleting them all in favor of the two boxsets, although that would mean losing valuable reviews.

Since we're on the topic of fixing stuff, I just spotted a minor thing: Mystery Disc is listed as "The Mystery Disc", but there's no "the" in the album title.
Jonathan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 14:10
What is the story behind the song "Magdalena"?
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 14:12
Originally posted by Jonathan Jonathan wrote:

What is the story behind the song "Magdalena"?
I think it was based on a news story he read.

-Kehlog Albran
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 14:52
I never really appreciated Just Another Band From L.A., but since recently I have been exploring all Zappa eras, including the Flo & Eddie era. While I still think JABFLA is a lesser Zappa album, it's fun, and the 3 new songs on there are great.
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 14:56
A Google group https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/alt.fan.frank-zappa/ySVWftRaPiQ says:
"
> It wouldn't surprise me if there was a real life inspiration for the song

Howard Kaylan has stated that there wasn't."

I know it's not a definitive answer
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 20:37
I must own over 65 titles by Zappa and appreciate all periods of his music. I never heard "Buffalo" which is supposedly a great concert. It is expensive, out of print..etc. I didn't like the Fillmore East and Flo & Eddie annoyed me too death during that performance...but I enjoyed their efforts on 200 Motels. I have yet to see cd releases of the strange artists Zappa signed to Bizzare Records like The GTO'S and An Evening with Wild Man Fischer. I know there were others and I can't recall their names. I am still in the dark and wonder if Gale Zappa will release another batch of cd's which are currently over-priced on Amazon. Buffalo, Imaginary Diseases, Trance-Fusion and others seem to be a bit expensive. I wonder if she will release the 3 volumes of Kill Ugly Radio.  
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2013 at 21:01
I think THIS is Frank Zappa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 40>