Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWho IS Frank Zappa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 40>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2013 at 21:16
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

I have yet to see cd releases of the strange artists Zappa signed to Bizzare Records like The GTO'S and An Evening with Wild Man Fischer.  
The GTOs album actually was on CD for a very short time, on the Enigma "Retro" label in the late 80s or early 90s.  I had a copy.  I thought it was a pretty bad album so I got rid of it, but then it quickly went out of print and has never returned. So I wish I'd kept it now.Unhappy  I never get rid of anything anymore!   The Wild Man Fischer album has never had an official CD release, though I have a bootleg CD of it which almost looks legit, not that I was fooled by it.  I just figured it might be my only chance to hear it.

Edited by HolyMoly - February 08 2013 at 21:17
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 01:15
If you did a Zappa catalog run-through chronologically, when would you listen to The Lost Episode, the Stage series, and One Shot Deal?

The Lost Episodes - no idea......
You Can't Do That On Stage series - besides vol. 2 and 5, I would listen to them after "Jazz From Hell" and "Feeding The Monkies..." sort of a summary of all the live bands up to that point before the 88 band.
One Shot Deal - somewhere in the 70s, but not sure where exactly... Some time around the Lather era maybe?
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 11:40
Anyone?
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 11:41
I think the reason there is so many versions of The Torture Never Stops on Frank's albums is, well, because The Torture Never Stops.
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 11:45
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

I must own over 65 titles by Zappa and appreciate all periods of his music. I never heard "Buffalo" which is supposedly a great concert. It is expensive, out of print..etc. I didn't like the Fillmore East and Flo & Eddie annoyed me too death during that performance...but I enjoyed their efforts on 200 Motels. I have yet to see cd releases of the strange artists Zappa signed to Bizzare Records like The GTO'S and An Evening with Wild Man Fischer. I know there were others and I can't recall their names. I am still in the dark and wonder if Gale Zappa will release another batch of cd's which are currently over-priced on Amazon. Buffalo, Imaginary Diseases, Trance-Fusion and others seem to be a bit expensive. I wonder if she will release the 3 volumes of Kill Ugly Radio.  
I have the GTO's CD, and it's at best a curiosity.  A friend of mine has the Wild Man Fischer album, and I find it unlistenable.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 11:57
What Zappa album(s) should I get next?

Albums in bold means I have never heard them before. Albums in green means I heard a little and it's been years since I heard them, so I don't really remember much. Purple means I know it mostly well, but don't own a copy.

(It's more or less impossible to get 200 Motels right now, and I'm waiting til it gets released on Universal. I'm also kind of waiting to get Civilization Phaze III last for obvious reasons.)

Mothermania
200 Motels
Shut Up And Play Yer' Guitar
Thing-Fish
Francesco Zappa
Guitar
Playground Psychotics

The Yellow Shark
Civilization Phaze III

Mystery Disc
Everything Is Healing Nicely

FZ:OZ
Trance-Fusion
Buffalo
Joe's Menage
Hammersmith Odeon

Feeding The Monkies At Ma Maison
Road Tapes Vol. 1

Edited by darkshade - February 09 2013 at 11:59
HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 11:58
Road Tapes or Yellow Shark
Canterzeuhl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 12:16
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

What Zappa album(s) should I get next?Albums in bold means I have never heard them before. Albums in green means I heard a little and it's been years since I heard them, so I don't really remember much. Purple means I know it mostly well, but don't own a copy.(It's more or less impossible to get 200 Motels right now, and I'm
waiting til it gets released on Universal. I'm also kind of waiting to
get Civilization Phaze III last for obvious reasons.)
Mothermania200 MotelsShut Up And Play Yer' GuitarThing-FishFrancesco ZappaGuitarPlayground PsychoticsThe Yellow SharkCivilization Phaze IIIMystery DiscEverything Is Healing NicelyFZ:OZTrance-FusionBuffaloJoe's MenageHammersmith OdeonFeeding The Monkies At Ma MaisonRoad Tapes Vol. 1

I own several of those, and of them I'd go for Yellow Shark.
Orchestral and fantastic. A great version of G-Spot Tornado is to be found.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 12:24
I was thinking about Yellow Shark too. Any others? I've usually been getting at least three at a time. Anyone know how Feeding the Monkies is?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 12:30
Hmm well in addition to Yellow Shark I'd also get Civilization Phase III.

Civ is basically a second attempt at Lumpy Gravy, very different though and at times chillingly atmospheric.

Even though I own Mothermania, 200 Motels, Shut Up And Play Yer' Guitar, Thing-Fish, Francesco Zappa and Mystery Disc, I don't really like them enough to recommend them. Mothermania is fun but it's just a best of of the first 3 Mothers albums. Mystery Disc is a pile of curiosities jumbled together and Francesco Zappa is plain crap.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 12:36
Well I've become a Zappa completist so I will get everything. I have all FZ's albums that I didn't list. Maybe I'll get TYS, CPIII, and Monkies because I really like Jazz From Hell.

I can't get 200 Motels right now, which pisses me off.

Mothermania sounds interesting to me. I feel like some people either love Thing-Fish, or thoroughly hate it.
HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 13:07
If you like Zappa as a guitarist, you should get SUAPYG too. If you're anything like me, you'll never get through more than two tracks in one go, but you'll appreciate it nonetheless.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 13:11
Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul HarbouringTheSoul wrote:

If you like Zappa as a guitarist, you should get SUAPYG too. If you're anything like me, you'll never get through more than two tracks in one go, but you'll appreciate it nonetheless.

I used to have just the first one as it's own album, and liked it (this was years ago). But they only sell the full 3 album set, so I'd probably only listen to chunks, or each LP one at a time. I've been meaning to get it for some time. I remember liking Trace-Fusion more.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 13:12
I think Buffalo is one of the best live releases Zappa has ever done, up there with Helsinki and the '88 sets.  It's a '80 show with Vinnie on drums who absolutely tears.  On top of that, I think Zappa was at his peak as a guitar soloist around this time.  It's hard to compare to other live albums of course because it's a completely different stylistic focus than, say, the Roxy band, but for its time period, it's as great as you would expect and then some.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 13:16
I've heard some tracks from Buffalo, and they do rip. That Keep It Greasy is insane. AGH I can't decide. Maybe Yellow Shark, Monkies, and Buffalo? I want to complete the main catalog though. 1st-world problems...
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 13:18
I'd say go ahead and get Thing-Fish then, since that's one of the few regular-catalog items you still don't have.  It's actually good in its own way.  You certainly haven't heard anything like it before.

-Kehlog Albran
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 13:23
My purchases have also been based on the prices on Amazon, and how I can avoid paying shipping rates. It seems most of the remaining albums from the core catalog are cheaper from other sellers and the posthumous albums on the Barfko Swill shop are pricey, to say the least.

I want Thing-Fish, the only song I know from that one is "He's So Gay".

I think I've decided. I'll get Yellow Shark, SUAPYG, and Thing-Fish next. I wish I could get 200 Motels. They better re-issue that one soon on UMe.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 13:37
Well I just bought Buffalo, I'll let you know what I think whence it arrives.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 14:22
Mothermania, by the way, is interesting because it contains different mixes/edits from the album versions in a lot of cases.  Like they were created for possible airplay (ha!).  It doesn't really hurt nor improve them, it's just different.  I have the LP.

Edited by HolyMoly - February 09 2013 at 14:22

-Kehlog Albran
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 19:05
You will eventually need to get a copy of Thing-Fish, for better or worse. Might as well get it now. Don't worry, it'll grow on ya.
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 40>