FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSoftware sequencers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Software sequencers
    Posted: October 23 2010 at 14:30
I assume we've got some users here, so maybe someone can lend a hand.

I'm investigating different sequencing programs. I'm not getting Pro Tools as I have no money and no use for it yet. I'm basically looking into sequencing, but I won't rule out a full DAW, though a limited one, for a few audio inputs.

I have a MIDI keyboard and am looking into software sequencing only. I was previously going to get Reason 5, but then I found out it doesn't have VST plugin support, and I have a feeling I'm eventually going to miss it if I invest in Reason. perhaps experienced reason users can convince me otherwise.

Now I've been looking into Cubase and Sonor, but of course there are multiple versions and suites. Oh indecision.

Opinions?

Also, not Reaper. It's too much for what I want. I want something more stripped down.

Also again, I'm going to be composing mostly ambient, electronica, trance, Berlin School, you get the deal. Not much need for imitating a full band or many acoustic instruments.

Edited by stonebeard - October 23 2010 at 14:50
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 15:28
Can't help you there, although looking into Cubase and stating that Reaper has too much for you doesn't sound completely logical to me...
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 15:35
Looking into, and I haven't seen yet what it totally offers. Also, I'm assuming that since there are a lot of versions some will have stripped down audio tracking capabilities. Maybe not.

Anyway, I downloaded Reaper but I'm just now getting into digital audio and sequencing, and for the most part audio is not a possibility for me. it would be nice to have the capability, but I'm not looking to track much. Ableton Live looks good, especially for...ba-dum....live audio and DJing, which might be something to consider sometime within the next few years.

These are name DAWs though. If I could have something like Reason + VST plugin support, me = happy.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 15:41
I've used a freeware program called Psycle that you might like, I never tried it with a midi instrument though so I don't know how well it works for that

One of my friends uses Ableton live, it looks excellent

Edited by Triceratopsoil - October 23 2010 at 15:41
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 17:35
I have learned that software sequencing is not for me.  However, I do have a copy of Reason:

I don't know what it costs these days, but it's a good 'un.
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2010 at 10:12
Cakewalk Sonar is a big beautiful beastie of a package. Currently up to V 8.5. It handles both dxi and vsti softsynths seamlessly, has full MIDI and audio editing plus comes straight out the box with several very good bundled soft synths that cover most contemporary styles of music. I particularly like how intuitive the interface is and the options are presented in a very 'musician friendly' way i.e. you never feel like you have to read the manual very often.You can record, add effects (with practically unlimited busses to lighten the load on yer processor) and mix down to wav, mp3, flac etc without ever leaving the program. God, it might even get you laid?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2010 at 10:29
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Cakewalk Sonar is a big beautiful beastie of a package. Currently up to V 8.5. It handles both dxi and vsti softsynths seamlessly, has full MIDI and audio editing plus comes straight out the box with several very good bundled soft synths that cover most contemporary styles of music. I particularly like how intuitive the interface is and the options are presented in a very 'musician friendly' way i.e. you never feel like you have to read the manual very often.You can record, add effects (with practically unlimited busses to lighten the load on yer processor) and mix down to wav, mp3, flac etc without ever leaving the program. God, it might even get you laid?

Must look into it!

I say Ableton is looking good too. I've got to dig in deeper of course, but it seems I can get a student discount on Ableton Suite for possibly $400 something. (Down from $600 something it seems). Of course this is all if I buy it new, and I have to make sure I should do that or if I can get it used. But I really don't know much about Sonar so I've got to see.
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2010 at 13:16
I use Ableton Live and I like it a lot - but it's not for everyone.

I'd recommend Reaper ... even if you're only going to use 10% of its functionality, a) it's free and b) it's professional software.
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2010 at 19:33
I'll be watching this topic, because I'm curious as well. I'm not too much of a MIDI guy - I use software for raw recording, and hardware for sequencing - DSI Evolver for 16-step sequencer (and rhythm) and arpeggiators of vintage poly synths - endless fun. (it's hell to keep them in sync, but it's possible)

Trademark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 20:39
Buy a Mac and use Garage Band.  You'll get a better computer and the software you want comes with it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 21:41
Originally posted by Trademark Trademark wrote:

Buy a Mac .

HAHAHAHANO.
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2010 at 12:43
Reason is a really good program, but it is limited because you can't record live audio into it and there is no way to change tempo/time signature mid track. But it is easy to use and many of the samples are really good.
Logic is a great buy, but if you can't afford Pro Tools, you may have the same issue. The only other one I use is Digital Performer, but persoanlly I find it somewhat difficult to use, although it is useful if you want to sync audio and video.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2010 at 18:05
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

Reason is a really good program, but it is limited because you can't record live audio into it and there is no way to change tempo/time signature mid track. But it is easy to use and many of the samples are really good.
Logic is a great buy, but if you can't afford Pro Tools, you may have the same issue. The only other one I use is Digital Performer, but persoanlly I find it somewhat difficult to use, although it is useful if you want to sync audio and video.

You can change time signature mid song, but it's laborous and you have to stop the track basically, edit the click track to 3/4 or whatever, and pick it up again. I don't remember if the click track recognizes the change and adjusts accents on the downbeat accordingly on playback.

Also, Reason itself does not take audio input but if you already have Reason, Propellerhead's Record is only like $170. Can't say whether it's worth it or not, but if you get the whole package for about $600, it seems more or less in line with other DAWs, but probably limited with synching to video and for DJing and all.

I also really wish the drum machine was easier to change fills and stuff with. I think I just have to go into the note lane and drag around the notes and make new ones for fills. It's easier than making 20 separate drum beats for a song, though.
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 13:17
Oh... this topic is quite interesting. Hey guys... I want this kind of software to build up guide tracks for recordings, but I do need to change tempos and time signatures... which program applies better to that? thanks...
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
Trademark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 20:49
Originally posted by jampa17 jampa17 wrote:

Oh... this topic is quite interesting. Hey guys... I want this kind of software to build up guide tracks for recordings, but I do need to change tempos and time signatures... which program applies better to that? thanks...

I've used Digital Performer for roughly 10 years now and would have a hard time recommending anything else but its partially due to familiarity on my part.  I've used Logic quite a bit (and have had to teach a couple of classes with it) and Pro Tools some as well, but I always drift back to DP when it comes time to do a major project.
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 08:56
Originally posted by Trademark Trademark wrote:

Originally posted by jampa17 jampa17 wrote:

I've used Digital Performer for roughly 10 years now and would have a hard time recommending anything else but its partially due to familiarity on my part.  I've used Logic quite a bit (and have had to teach a couple of classes with it) and Pro Tools some as well, but I always drift back to DP when it comes time to do a major project.
Thanks... I'll try Digital Performer... with Protools the problem is the investment of the right external sound card, which is becoming a little hard for me... I will may ask you a couple of questions once I get on track with the program OK...? thanks again...
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
thechrisl View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 15:29
Another Sonar user here.  The Producer edition is kind of pricey & I don't know how the other suites compare feature-wise.  Time signatures & Tempo changes are a snap (IMO).  There is even a Tempo map view which allows you to set up, for example, a gradual change from 120BPM at meas. 45 to 142.9 at meas. 60.

FX and mix automation is pretty nice too.  I did my whole album using Cakewalk/Sonar.

For loop based music, a lot of people like FL Studio (Fruity Loops) though I haven't used it.
 Post Reply Post Reply