Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Battle of the Prog Bands SFD2: Floyd vs. Rush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
97 [62.99%]
57 [37.01%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 17:02
^^ Oh well, heres a link   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtWxyRi8mwY   It's a great performance of La Villa Strangiato, with posiibly the best solo I've ever heard. Complete with bending and all.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 17:05
Let's see if I can help with that.

Edited by rushfan4 - November 15 2010 at 17:06
Billy Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 17:10
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Let's see if I can help with that.

There we go!! I know this sounds like a dumb question, but how did you do that?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 17:11

You need to type [tube] before the web address.

Edited by rushfan4 - November 15 2010 at 17:12
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 17:12
and [/tube] after the web address.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 17:14
Well thanks very much. I've always wondered..
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 17:27
You're welcome.  Great clip by the way.
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 17:29
Both are somewhat overrated IMO, but it's definitely Pink Floyd for me, though mostly for Wish You Were Here.

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 17:47
^ Remember J-man...the word "overrated" is overrated.
Big smile
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 17:54
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^ Remember J-man...the word "overrated" is overrated.
Big smile

LOL The funny thing is that I absolutely hate using that word... it makes it seem as though I'm being condescending upon everyone else. But there are some cases (like this one) where I didn't know what else I could use. Tongue

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
ferush View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ferush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 19:32
Floyd music is lightless but Rush music's got brightness.
ferush View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ferush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 19:38
Originally posted by TheOppenheimer TheOppenheimer wrote:

i really like pink floyd, and altough they are a bit overrated, i find them amazingevery time i listen to their music.

nevertheless, i find Rush quite superior, and beautiful. that is my opinion, and thus, my vote goes for rush.

Of course Floyd is overrated by much; Pink Floyd is band for the masses.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 19:42
I have seen that performance before, great, lots of energy, as only one would expect of them.  But as for Lifeson....first of all, I didn't say Lifeson cannot bend Tongue , secondly, sorry, this is not a good solo. He has this habit of starting off very nicely and then losing the plot as he heads into some rapid playing, which he doesn't make highly interesting to listen to and this performance was no exception.   On the other hand, the bends are nowhere close to as beautiful as Gilmour circa Meddle through to DSOTM, not that I would really expect that in the kind of music Rush play anyway.  
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 19:44
Originally posted by ferush ferush wrote:

i really like pink floyd, and altough they are a bit overrated, i find them amazingevery time i listen to their music.

nevertheless, i find Rush quite superior, and beautiful. that is my opinion, and thus, my vote goes for rush.

I love you guys. So Set Controls for the Heart of the Sun is music for the masses while Entre Nous is for thee, the prog elite, right? Wink

Edited by rogerthat - November 15 2010 at 19:45
Jörgemeister View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jörgemeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 20:50
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I love you guys. So Set Controls for the Heart of the Sun is music for the masses while Entre Nous is for thee, the prog elite, right? Wink

going to the extremes arent we?
I Could have bought a Third World country with the riches that I've spent
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 23:24
Originally posted by James McProgger James McProgger wrote:

"extreme" for PF would be Interstellar Overdrive or Sysyphus or Careful with that Axe Eugene or The Nile Song.... I can't say the extreme for Rush. I have tried their music but they do nothing for me, neither 2112. 
Saying that PF are music for masses means that you know only "Another Brick in The Wall part 2", likely.

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thellama73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 01:51
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Originally posted by James McProgger James McProgger wrote:

"extreme" for PF would be Interstellar Overdrive or Sysyphus or Careful with that Axe Eugene or The Nile Song.... I can't say the extreme for Rush. I have tried their music but they do nothing for me, neither 2112. 
Saying that PF are music for masses means that you know only "Another Brick in The Wall part 2", likely.

You could do the same comparison in the opposite direction if you wanted.
So The Necromancer is music for the masses while Wish You Were Here is for thee, the prog elite, right? Wink

Pink Floyd during their Dark Side of the Moon period had a more commercial sound than Rush did during their 2112 or Hemispheres period. It's not a bad thing, but it's true.
adace1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adace1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 02:02
No question Rush have got it made in the technical department and have some killer tunes but I gotta go with the majority. PF were true pioneers and influenced a lot more bands than Rush. Also, Rush just doesn't have as solid an album as Dark Side. However, wouldn't it be great if Floyd reformed and went on tour with Rush supporting them? That would be absolutely tremendous.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 02:33

I have seen that performance before, great, lots of energy, as only one would expect of them.  But as for Lifeson....first of all, I didn't say Lifeson cannot bend Tongue , secondly, sorry, this is not a good solo. He has this habit of starting off very nicely and then losing the plot as he heads into some rapid playing, which he doesn't make highly interesting to listen to and this performance was no exception.   On the other hand, the bends are nowhere close to as beautiful as Gilmour circa Meddle through to DSOTM, not that I would really expect that in the kind of music Rush play anyway.  

First off, you can't say "this is not a good solo" as it's only a matter of opinion, and I don't think he lost his head at all. It started out slow than got to a great build up, changed structure a couple times, and is extremely diffucult to play. Nothing from Gilmour is hard to play!! Bottom line, it's simple stuff man. It sounds nice, and is pleasing to the ears but it is simple simple guitar playing from a simple everyday guitarist. To each his own I guess. Also, it's quite nice to be able to debate here, without the whole thing turning into an argument.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 02:34
Originally posted by adace1 adace1 wrote:

No question Rush have got it made in the technical department and have some killer tunes but I gotta go with the majority. PF were true pioneers and influenced a lot more bands than Rush. Also, Rush just doesn't have as solid an album as Dark Side. However, wouldn't it be great if Floyd reformed and went on tour with Rush supporting them? That would be absolutely tremendous.

I'm likin' that idea!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>