Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedArena Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2015 at 09:01
I have downloads of most of their albums.  Only a couple that I have physical copies of.  I'm not a big fan of paying import prices for CDs so I am content to settle for downloads in these type situations.  That being said I haven't listened to Arena as much as bands like Marillion, Pendragon and IQ.  Arena are certainly one of the top tier of the neo bands, and Clive Nolan might just be the official keyboardist of the neo-prog genre.  I am pretty excited that I recently purchased the Shadowland box set with all of their albums.  I have not heard them before and look forward to getting the time to give them some spins.
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2015 at 09:50
Which existing Arena album would people compare The Unquiet Sky too? I'm fond of most of their stuff but Immortal fell a little flat for me and I thought Pepper's Ghost was a serious misstep. (I haven't even heard Seventh Degree of Separation yet - I was too put off by the reviews.) Unquiet Sky seems to have put a lot of doubts to rest, though, so I may make a point of getting it (once I'm done with my present spring-cleaning of my music collection).
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2015 at 23:07
Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

Which existing Arena album would people compare The Unquiet Sky too? I'm fond of most of their stuff but Immortal fell a little flat for me and I thought Pepper's Ghost was a serious misstep. (I haven't even heard Seventh Degree of Separation yet - I was too put off by the reviews.) Unquiet Sky seems to have put a lot of doubts to rest, though, so I may make a point of getting it (once I'm done with my present spring-cleaning of my music collection).

The unquiet sky is a fusing if you will whereby its a lovely blend of their new style (7th degree) mixed in with a good flare of their older more familiar sound found on peppers ghost and contagion. It's a quality album non the less.
Please explore the seventh degree of separation. Read Aussie Byrd Brother's review on it. It won't put you off, but rather encourage you to discover Arena's new direction. He explains it well.
You also gain a better appreciation for the unquiet sky following that listen of 7th degree.
Hope you enjoy it. It's worth discovering!
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2015 at 23:12
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I have downloads of most of their albums.  Only a couple that I have physical copies of.  I'm not a big fan of paying import prices for CDs so I am content to settle for downloads in these type situations.  That being said I haven't listened to Arena as much as bands like Marillion, Pendragon and IQ.  Arena are certainly one of the top tier of the neo bands, and Clive Nolan might just be the official keyboardist of the neo-prog genre.  I am pretty excited that I recently purchased the Shadowland box set with all of their albums.  I have not heard them before and look forward to getting the time to give them some spins.

100% agree with you. Hate import prices!! Luckily I've known about arena for quite some time now, so I only had to splurge on a couple of their albums. Contagion Max being one of them. Lol 32$!
Worth it for me though. And you are right about Clive Nolan. He is a premium contender and forerunner for all time great in Neo synth land. ;) he has my vote!
And enjoy shadowland. I don't have that so I hope it fairs well with you.
Maybe explore Clive's ALCHEMY album. You'll be amazed what you here. It's Neo broadway! :)
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 03:36
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

The unquiet sky is a fusing if you will whereby its a lovely blend of their new style (7th degree) mixed in with a good flare of their older more familiar sound found on peppers ghost and contagion. It's a quality album non the less.
Please explore the seventh degree of separation. Read Aussie Byrd Brother's review on it. It won't put you off, but rather encourage you to discover Arena's new direction. He explains it well.
You also gain a better appreciation for the unquiet sky following that listen of 7th degree.

Nicholas provides a good description of the new album. I would also add that, with the new album, Arena have rediscovered that pomp in their prog rock which marked them out from the start. They are far the better for it. In fact, as things stand, my review to come is heavily leaning towards a five star rating, because I can barely find fault, it is that good.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 19:07
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Nicholas provides a good description of the new album. I would also add that, with the new album, Arena have rediscovered that pomp in their prog rock which marked them out from the start. They are far the better for it. In fact, as things stand, my review to come is heavily leaning towards a five star rating, because I can barely find fault, it is that good.

I felt exactly this way, Steve! exactly. I just can't find a fault. It is my masterpiece of 2015.
This album stands at #1 for me unless Iron Maiden can pull out a shocker.

Look forward to reading your review. I'm glad you are loving the album like I am. It's a great offering.
Such quality. :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2015 at 12:04
Been enjoying the "CAUGHT IN THE ACT' DVD.

Anyone else have it? Sowden's glasses are a bit much, but man he has a good voice. :)

No vockills!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 12:21
ARENA? Anybody feeling the love lately for what this band can do?

Has anyone heard the "Salamander" remix by Richard west?
He's the original and still current keyboardist of the Prog metal band, "Threshold."
Anyway...not bad. ;)
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 12:23
^ Where can that remix be heard? Smile
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 13:53
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 13:56
Well....I'm a fan of some neo prog....really like IQ for  instance , but I only have Contagion and Pepper's Ghost by Arena. While I find them interesting I still haven't become a big fan.
Which is better: The Visitor or Immortal..?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 13:59
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Well....I'm a fan of some neo prog....really like IQ for  instance , but I only have Contagion and Pepper's Ghost by Arena. While I find them interesting I still haven't become a big fan.

The Visitor, by far
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 14:23
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I find both great, and the new one better.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2015 at 14:14
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Thanks! It sure is very different, but not bad.
Duke of Rother View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2015 at 16:16
I've only recently got into Arena but have very much enjoyed The Unquiet Sky, Congagion and The Visitor. (Preference in that order at the moment...)
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2015 at 03:14
well here`s someone whom as NEVER listened to Arena at ALL. so ladies and gentlemen where should I start the magical journey into Arena...
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2015 at 14:19
^ I just tried my first Arena album a few months ago and liked it.  The Visitor...not exactly sure why I picked that instead of others, maybe reading some of the reviews...or a coin toss  Smile

I'm sure some of the guys who know their discography well will chime in...
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2015 at 13:32
I bought Immortal? the other day. My 3rd Arena album after Songs From the Lion's Cage and Pepper's Ghost. Still getting familiar with the songs, but as with the two albums mentioned above, it gets off to a great start with Chosen. That keyboard/guitar riff after the opening drum intro is really powerful and driving.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2015 at 14:38
well I`ve gotten the first album I`ve ever had by Arena " songs from the lion`s cage " today still to listen to it
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Blinkyjoh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2015 at 17:02
Since this is the Arena Appreciation Thread, and i'm surfing the forums, i thought i'd just pipe in that Unquiet Sky is one of my favourite recently albums...possibly because I really like the short story it is loosely based on as well. I don't think any of the songs are 'killer tracks', but they all work so well together, tell a story, and enjoyable to listen to.

Pepper's Ghost i bought, but didn't really like as much.  Seventh Degree of Separation feels similar to me as unquiet sky.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>