FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Obscure Prog Facts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 50>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Obscure Prog Facts
    Posted: August 17 2015 at 11:41
On The Rolling Stones album "There Satanic Majesties Request" John Lennon and Paul McCartney sing backup on "Sing This All Together". Also, on the album cover, if you look closely on the sides you can find all four faces of The Beatles
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 21:14

The instrumental middle section of Can You Understand by Renaissance was taken from an original piece by Maurice Jarre written for the score of “Doctor Zhivago.”  This is where the band got it from, but the tricky thing is, they assumed at the time that it was based on a Russian folk tune which was in the public domain.  Any hassles over copyright infringement were quickly settled, and on some more recent releases, like the King Biscuit CD, Jarre is credited for that section.

I was unaware of all this the first time I saw “Dr. Zhivago” in the early 80s, though I recognized that piece right away.

Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 17:26
Thankfully, Frankie went to Hollywood, and not NYC
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 09:35
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I'm currently sprucing up my sister's old vinyl collection - not so obscure, but fact.....ha ha.....
I was cleaning up her Frankie Goes To Hollywood (man, those guys scare me.....) Pleasuredome album and noticed Steve Howe guested on a track !! I guess, it was produced by Trevor Horn.

Yeah I have that album and CD----Steve comes on briefly and does some great playing---totally recognizable as Howe guitar----and yes Horn called in his friends.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 03:53
I'm currently sprucing up my sister's old vinyl collection - not so obscure, but fact.....ha ha.....
I was cleaning up her Frankie Goes To Hollywood (man, those guys scare me.....) Pleasuredome album and noticed Steve Howe guested on a track !! I guess, it was produced by Trevor Horn.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 11:54
When progressive rock band Quatermass played live, and they did their upcoming (but not yet recorded) single "One Blind Mice" in concert, John Gustafson would sing the opening lines of the Deep Purple song "Bloodsucker" (off of their album "In Rock"), incorporating them into the Quatermass number.
         "Got Black Breast Chinese eyes, got an English brain that's gonna make me wise".
            The recorded "One Blind Mice" song does not have that lyric in it.
jkl2001 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkl2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 08:29
Marillion drummer Ian Mosley once played with Chicago-area neo-prog band Big Picture.

ONCE!
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 02:08
"People tell you life is short. ... No, it's not. Life is long. Especially if you make the wrong decisions." - Chris Rock
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 14:58
Some of ex-Tangerine Dreamer Peter Baumann's third solo album, Repeat Repeat (the first one to feature vocals and music in a decidedly mainstream direction compared to his previous solo albums, and work with Tangerine Dream), was recorded at Jan Hammer's Red Gate studio in New York.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 04:35
Rick Wakeman's dad, Cyril Wakeman, was a director of Nicholls & Clarke in the East End of London, "an empire of ironmongery and sanitaryware that contained a hidden warren of semi-criminal subcultures":

Originally posted by Professor Richard Hobbs Professor Richard Hobbs wrote:

After I left school, I worked as an office boy in Great Eastern St. That was awful, I couldn’t stand office work, so I worked as a dustman and street sweeper. I did all sorts of things, but whenever I needed work I could always ask my father to call up one of the Directors at Nicholls & Clarke, Cyril Wakeman – father of Rick Wakeman – and get me work at twenty pounds a week, cash in hand, to pick up toilets. Cyril liked to talk about Rick’s success, his latest hit and how much the latest tour in America made and which page three girl he was dating. And at the end, he’d always ask how I was doing but I wasn’t dating page three girls, I was lifting toilets.

Very interesting article, though of tangential relevant to prog! 

BTW there is no suggestion that Cyril Wakeman was involved in any of the criminal activities that went on Nicholls & Clarke's basement.

Edited by Mascodagama - February 13 2015 at 04:37
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 04:15
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 03:47
^Penis rock and the top is a vagina spewing out liquid?
vdlluca View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vdlluca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 13:42
I didn't read through all the post or you may already know but look at this:
(Uriah Heep - Demons & wizards cover)

Edited by vdlluca - February 12 2015 at 13:45
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 14:06
^ Well, it is a freewheelin', Bohemian lifestyle concept (from what I can tell) that requires 'weirdo groovy' music - provided by the Masters - CAN !!
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 11:44
Don't know how many people here know this, but this may not have been mentioned yet on the forum: ... Paul Thomas Anderson's Inherent Vice features a couple of tracks from Can's Ege Bamyasi.
"People tell you life is short. ... No, it's not. Life is long. Especially if you make the wrong decisions." - Chris Rock
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 03:16
Hey, if I were Plant, I'd chose Phil as my drummer.......
I'd chose Barrie from Tull, too...........
Heck, I'd chose Andy Edwards today.............
Cristi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 03:08
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Phil always said besides Bruford--Bonham was his fav drummer---I think he was the wrong choice for the job-but as he said he was there and a big deal at the time----I doubt that he intentionally had any interest in sabotaging the reunion---as he loved the band---but it is a train wreak but all of Zeps attempts after Bonham died were not that good except maybe the last attempt.

Phil and Robert Plant were friends, after all Phil played drums on two pf Plant's albums.
 I saw a documentary about Plant and apparently, getting Phil to jam with him early 80s was the reason he started making music again. Robert was most affected by Bonzo's death, being friends for a very long time and Plant was considering giving up music after Bonham's death. As he changed his mind and wanted to make some new music, Robert was desperately looking for a drummer for quite a while, and as he ran into Phil Collins, Phil gladly accepted to play drums for Plant.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalmarsh89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 20:05
http://oxfordcitizen.com/2015/01/22/oxford-attorney-namesake-umphreys-mcgee/

Cool story on where the name of Umphrey's McGee came from.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.

I sometimes like anime. Check out my anime list
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalmarsh89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 20:35
The German girl with a missing toe in this scene from The Big Lebowski is the same lady who sings backing vocals on Rush's 'Time Stand Still' and 'Open Secrets'. Aimee Mann, also notably of the new wave band 'Til Tuesday.

Want to play mafia? Visit here.

I sometimes like anime. Check out my anime list
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 15:04
Saga's Michael Sadler contributed uncredited backing vocals to Ozzy's The Ultimate Sin.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 50>
  Share Topic