FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Obscure Prog Facts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 52>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Obscure Prog Facts
    Posted: May 31 2018 at 18:57
I decided to look it up......on you tube...not a bad singer songwriter thing.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 18:54
^That's interesting......is it a decent song...? And who the heck is Colin Scott...?

;)
Colin Scot - Vocals, Guitar Contributing artists Vocals: Peter Gabriel Phil Collins Jon Anderson Peter Hammill Linda Hoyle Alan Hull Steve Gold Anne Tudor Jane Relf Guitars: Robert Fripp Brinsley Schwartz Davy Johnstone Bass: Nic Potter Rod Clements Keyboards: Rick Wakeman Dave Kaffinetti Bob Andrews Drums: Guy Evans Bill Rankin Saxophone: David Jackson Trumpet: Ian Thornton String Arrangements: Richard Hewson

Edited by dr wu23 - May 31 2018 at 18:57
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SamMac View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 16:47
Probably already been mentioned, but there's a song called "Nite People" by Colin Scott, and it has Peter Gabriel, Jon Anderson, Phil Collins and Peter Hammill all harmonizing on the chorus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjNBJ9PTYIw

Hammill talks about it towards the end of this interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Hpx7Dlvk4&
Lamneth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lamneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 13:45
The same country that produced ABBA also produced Opeth.

seriously though... Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield was the first item in the Virgin Records catalog.

Edited by Lamneth - May 24 2018 at 13:57
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2018 at 21:45

Two Yes guitarists—Steve Howe and Trevor Rabin—had debut solo albums titled “Beginnings.”  The one by Rabin was only titled that in South Africa; everywhere else it was self-titled.

Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2017 at 21:20
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

Also on the Tull facts, Ian Anderson played a flute for the first time only six months before recording This Was. He had previously been a lead guitarist but dissatisfied with his progress on the instrument, and seeking to create a difference from the many anonymous blues rock bands on the pub circuit, picked up a flute.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this in the 7 years and 50 pages since this post, but Martin Barre went the opposite direction; starting on woodwinds and moving to guitar. He even plays flute on a few tracks on Stand Up. You can see him playing a flute duet with Ian on this version of Bourée:

Actually, I read a few years ago, since the break-up between Ian Anderson and Martin Barre, that on the shows Barre had been doing of Jethro Tull songs (yeah, he got to form his band and tour material from the band) he himself had been playing the flute.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2017 at 11:57
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

Also on the Tull facts, Ian Anderson played a flute for the first time only six months before recording This Was. He had previously been a lead guitarist but dissatisfied with his progress on the instrument, and seeking to create a difference from the many anonymous blues rock bands on the pub circuit, picked up a flute.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this in the 7 years and 50 pages since this post, but Martin Barre went the opposite direction; starting on woodwinds and moving to guitar. He even plays flute on a few tracks on Stand Up. You can see him playing a flute duet with Ian on this version of Bourée:

Marcdolyn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcdolyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2017 at 10:01
For the sake of accuracy, Les Harvey was electrocuted at The Top Rank in Swansea.
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2017 at 19:28
Originally posted by mongofa mongofa wrote:

Steve Howe is the guitar player from Yes
Really, dude. There's a limit to how obscure a fact people can handle. 
-John
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 11:43
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

^A UK act touring universities around the UK. How rare!
The obscure facts, wise guy, are any details about such an obscure band's live activities.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 10:33
^A UK act touring universities around the UK. How rare!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 19:20
UK Prog Band Strange Days did a UK University circuit tour with the Andy Fraser Band in support of their album Nine Parts To The Wind.

Edited by presdoug - May 13 2017 at 06:13
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2016 at 10:20
Apparently, Robert Fripp got to know the Giles brothers by responding to an advertisement of theirs stating they were looking for a singer who could play the organ. We all know Fripp does not play the organ and certainly does not sing, but he still ended up joining the Giles.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2016 at 22:33

Belgian pressings of Procol Harum’s “Home” (LP and cassette) from the 1970s gave the album title as “Whoosh!”, obviously because somebody in Belgium’s division of Cube Records mistook one of the comic-book sound effects on the cover for the title, in spite of the actual title being positioned right under the band’s name.  Go figure.  Discounted copies of those Belgian pressings and those of “Shine on Brightly” turned up in American record shops in the 1980s.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2016 at 16:52

The UK single of Don’t Kill the Whale by Yes featured the non-LP track Abilene as its b-side.  But it was misspelled not in one, but two different ways: Abeline on the picture sleeve and Abalene on the label.

Didn’t anyone at Atlantic UK know how to use an encyclopedia or atlas?

When it appeared on the “YesYears” box set, it was spelled correctly.

Edited by AreYouHuman - July 15 2016 at 17:12

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2016 at 16:42
^ That's pretty cool, Friede.
Only seen the Hawks once, got a t-shirt. Saw Hammill twice. I got a VDGG t-shirt.
Other band shirts I have - Chicago, Anekdoten, several Yes, Meshuggah, Anglagard, Ozrics, Zappa, several Floyd, an Ian Gillan one (probs small for me now) and a home-made Can 'Future Days' shirt.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2016 at 16:33
I have several Hawkwind t-shirts and a Peter Hammill "Fireships" t-shirt. Hammill and Hawkwind are the artists I saw live most; both about a dozen times.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2016 at 16:00
^ Still see them occasionally, mostly on 40+ y.o. women.
I've got a Kajagoogoo t-shirt - has a really cool 'caricature' pic of the band on it. Now they are my fave Pop group from that era. Put it down to the already advanced bass-skills of one Nick Beggs........
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2016 at 15:50
"Frankie says, 'RELAX!'" Remember those t-shirts?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2016 at 15:40
^ The dude with the girl's name ?? Doesn't surprise me........
I saw some footage of their 'shock' stage performance and it was quite disturbing - I imagine they look like they belong in some dodgey, underground, homo-bondage cult night-club sausage-fest. I'm not homophobic, but these guys scare me - hey, they're probably the coolest guys in the world, but........
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 52>