Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Obscure Prog Facts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 52>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2013 at 23:46
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Isn't it like "and I would have gotten away with it, too, if it wasn't for you meddling kids"?
At least someone here knows there Scooby Doo LOL........
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalmarsh89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2013 at 00:10
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Isn't it like "and I would have gotten away with it, too, if it wasn't for you meddling kids"?
At least someone here knows there Scooby Doo LOL........

You both deserve a medal. Tongue
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2013 at 07:11
This is not really obscure but OK, in case someone didn't know it.
Dave Arbus violinist of East Of Eden, claimed by some as being the band releasing the first Prog Rock album (Mercator Projected) played as guest in The Who's Who's Next (as well as Mountain's Leslie West).
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2013 at 09:28
Transatlantic's debut album is called SMPTe.
The meaning intention of SMPT is quite clear Stolt / Morse / Portnoy / Trewavas but what about the 'e'?
SMPTE is a standard for synchronizing timing in audio and video sequencers and devices, related to MIDI.

timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 19:27
Can anyone tell me what prog musician was on the cover of playboy??
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 20:32
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Can anyone tell me what prog musician was on the cover of playboy??
Frank Zappa?
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 20:46
No, a woman

Edited by timothy leary - March 22 2013 at 20:47
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 20:55
Sonja Kristina?
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 20:59
Annie Haslam?
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 21:00
^ God forbid.
Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 21:32
Originally posted by Lizzy Lizzy wrote:

Originally posted by Lozlan Lozlan wrote:

The entire career of Tim Staffel is (tragically) obscure.  He was the lead vocalist and bass player for Smile, the forerunner band for Queen.  After the band dissolved and Freddie Mercury assumed vocal duties, he co-founded the symphonic progressive rock group Morgan with noted keyboard luminary Morgan Fisher.  The band released two albums that should have conquered the world (Nova Solis and The Sleeper Wakes) prior to breaking up; Mr. Staffel went on to become a noted model maker, working on Thomas the Tank Engine and the BBC serial production of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  Of late he's been exploring the funky side of things with his new band aMIGO.  The man is an absolute treasure, with an amazing voice and very admirable lyrical chops.  Shame that he's so completely unknown.

Oh yes! Good call! Clap And let's not forget that Fisher is also Queen-related. He played keys for them on the Hot Space tour (possibly my favourite Queen tour).
I've only listened to Nova Solis by Morgan, but I was extremely impressed. Will have to look for The Sleeper Wakes as well.

Hi Lizzy.  I'm on page one of this thread so I do not know if anyone posted this.  Here you go.  The Sleeper Awakes!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 21:33
Sylvia Houtzager from Flairck
http://www.flairck.com/past.php?id=3281
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 23:07
Interesting fact that was obscure to me, as told by Eddie Jobson:

"In early 1977, Robert Fripp, Bill Bruford, and John Wetton decided to reform the "Red"-period Crimson, except with yours truly on keys/violin.   Fripp wanted to call it "The League of Gentlemen."   Bill and John (who had previously also tried forming a trio with Rick Wakeman) approached me about it when I was in London with Zappa.   Robert, who had been in semi-isolation for a year or two, decided to test the waters for himself by going on tour as a guest in Peter Gabriel's band.   By the time that tour made it to Los Angeles, Robert had already decided he was not quite ready for the rigours of another touring band at that time after all, and—at a lunch in Hollywood—informed me that he was pulling out of the project.   The "League" idea basically then fell apart.

About a month or two later, I re-approached Bill and John about forming the band anyway—without Robert.   That's how UK finally came together.   We worked for a short time as a trio until Allan Holdsworth was brought in.

After Bill and and Allan left in 1978, John and I invited Eric Johnson (who had opened for UK in Austin, Texas) to replace Allan.   Eric was interested, but his manager decided that he should keep pursuing his solo career (a mistake, in my view, as it took several more years before Eric started to make a splash).   Not having any other guitarist in mind, after Eric, we decided to give it a shot as a trio with Bozzio on drums.

That's the real story as I remember it."

This is from http://www.eddiejobson.com/forum/read.php?f=1&i=6369&t=6369, but Eddie told pretty much the same story this week on Cruise To The Edge.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 01:42
Interesting, thanks!
Tubes View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tubes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 03:04
Kate Bush
Tubes View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tubes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 03:06
Obscure fact: Jethro Tull's Warchild is not as bad as most people make it out to be. 
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 04:38
Originally posted by Tubes Tubes wrote:

Obscure fact: Jethro Tull's Warchild is not as bad as most people make it out to be. 

No yor're correct; it is a five star album IMHO. I put it up there with Gentle Giant's Free Hand! 
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 04:44
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Sylvia Houtzager from Flairck
http://www.flairck.com/past.php?id=3281

That's a relief (I thought you were going to point us in the direction of the Reader's Wives sectionConfused)
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 15:06
Originally posted by Tubes Tubes wrote:

Indeed...it has 2 of my fave Tull songs, Back Door Angels and Two Fingers...

As Ian sang,  "And as you join the good ship earth and you mingle with the dust, You'd better leave your underpants with someone you can trust!" 

Words to live by Wink
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 01:03
Walt Whitman was gay.

Oops, ... Wrong thread.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 52>