Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Obscure Prog Facts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 52>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 17:01
^ Actually the 2 man group was known as Hansson and Karlsson at the time (they're on PA), and Hendrix had been jamming with them and was supposed to be joining up with them for some project or recording, one of the many options on his plate when he passed away, and yes, Hansson wrote Tax Free.

Edited by Easy Money - December 12 2010 at 19:47
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 17:22
Re EJ, he did not "fail" the "audition" for Gentle Giant.  As one person noted, EJ played part of a tour with Derek and Ray Schulman's first band.  And he did audition for what became Gentle Giant.  But he wanted to add his own songs as well, and the band was not interested.  Re Crimson, many were called, one was chosen.

Re Queen, while Brian May does (not quite obscurely) have a degree in astrophysics, during the 1970s, Queen was (more obscurely) one of only two rock groups in which every member had a four-year college degree.  (The other was 10CC.)  May actually had two degrees, one in Astrophysics and one in Electronics, John Deacon also has a degree in Electronics, Freddie Mercury held a degree in Art History (he designed the Queen crest), and Roger Taylor was (and is) a licensed (and practicing) dentist.
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earendil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 19:01
For Genesis fans, this might not be too obscure, but they were forced to remove their band name from the cover of From Genesis to Revelation because of a little-known psychedelic group with the same name.  Whose debut, might I add, was actually better then our Genesis'.   http://allmusic.com/artist/genesis-p557978
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zappaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 04:56
Probably not that obscure, but Ric Parnell, who played drummer Mick Shrimpton in This Is Spinal Tap, was a member of the Atomic Rooster in the '70s.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
topographicbroadways View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topographicbroadways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 05:15
Rick Wakeman was once arrested for pushing Salvador Dali off stage during a Strawbs show at a French festival because he had walked on stage when Rick was about to start his keyboard solo
The Runaway View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Runaway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 05:21
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

Phil Collins once played drums for Jethro Tull. Yes this is true.

Also on the Tull facts, Ian Anderson played a flute for the first time only six months before recording This Was. He had previously been a lead guitarist but dissatisfied with his progress on the instrument, and seeking to create a difference from the many anonymous blues rock bands on the pub circuit, picked up a flute.

Actually, he said it was because he thought he could never be as good as Clapton.
Bryan Ferry auditioned for King Crimson and almost got in until Greg Lake came and Fripp went with him. Also, this may not be so obscure but David Gilmour was Syd Barret's guitar teacher!

Edited by The Runaway - December 13 2010 at 05:52
Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.
Rune2000 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rune2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 10:55
Jethro Tull's drummer Barriemore Barlow ("Thick as a Brick" to "Stormwatch") played all drums on Yngwie Malmsteen's debut, and best, album "Rising Force".

Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll my a...
Lark the Starless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark the Starless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 10:58
Originally posted by Rune2000 Rune2000 wrote:

Jethro Tull's drummer Barriemore Barlow ("Thick as a Brick" to "Stormwatch") played all drums on Yngwie Malmsteen's debut, and best, album "Rising Force".

He did?? Wow Shocked
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 11:15

This is true but I prefer trilogy and Odyssey. In other words I think they are better than the debut.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 15:31
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

.... YES, where he would have to learn some things that probably would not interest him. he was already through with the "popular" thing then, and had enough things going ... to drop them all and become a rock star ...

You see...all made up...or should we call it supposition?

Vangelis was well known for talking against "commercial music" and his special that was offered to radio stations only (on LP) about Heaven and Hell, pretty much said it all ... that recording is going to the Admins on this board, btw ... since there are folks that wouldn't believe truth if it came from everyone except the tooth fairy!

The supposition part was more as a joke than anything else ... and not a bad comment on any of the Yes members ... but I would think that Chris would have a hard time being slower and playing on some of the smooth and quiet passages that Vangelis is so fond of. Steve is tougher, but he might not have as much fun tripping all over it ... and right now I can only mention one guitar player with Vangelis (not sure Socrates counts), is Kouloris with Aphrodite's Child. I really do not think that Steve and him would be a good match at all ... it certainly would be one of those ... ohh wow, I certainly want to listen to it, kinda thing!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 15:37
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

^ Actually the 2 man group was known as Hansson and Karlsson at the time (they're on PA), and Hendrix had been jamming with them and was supposed to be joining up with them for some project or recording, one of the many options on his plate when he passed away, and yes, Hansson wrote Tax Free.

I thought that the Karlsson person actually was Hendrix ... information is really sketchy and the Hendrix Estate is not allowing anyone to get any of their dues off it ... there is stuff with Stevie Winwood that we will probably never hear in our time because of that Estate.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 00:29
 ^ there is strong evidence Bo Hansson and Jimi Hendrix were in fact the same person; to this day the two men have never been seen together except a brief "meeting" in Stockholm, 1967.  They inexplicably both happened to record 'Tax Free', and Jan Carlsson's drumming was almost identical to Mitch Mitchell's. 

I think the facts speak for themselves.  Who's with me?

Rune2000 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rune2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 00:46
Both Bill Bruford and Tony Levin have directly or indirectly played with the big three. Bruford as a member of Yes, King Crimson and touring drummer with the Genesis quartet (before Chester Thompson took over). Levin as a member of King Crimson, ABWH and Peter Gabriel's backing band.

They can officially be considered the luckiest men of prog!

I'm also surprised that no one has yet mentioned XYZ, a proposed band that was supposed to consist of ex-Yes and Led Zeppelin members.
thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thehallway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 03:34
Wakeman's curry incident was true according to him...

...but the stuff about Anderson and Howe fitting tiles around Morgan studios is false, I am led to know. They got the "bathroom vocals" from an actual bathroom. And of course, when Jon's forest idea was rejected they filled the place with hay and cardboard animals, but the hay contained mites that infested Rick's keyboards!

It was this uncomfortable experience that mostly contributed to Rick's departure and not the light-hearted curry ordering... not to mention the four 20 minute pieces of music of course!

But the others in the band have said that him playing darts instead of working was normal anyway, and apparent during the Close To The Edge and Going For The One sessions as well.

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 03:41
Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

they filled the place with hay and cardboard animals, but the hay contained mites that infested Rick's keyboards!

oh that must've sucked

Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 06:39

Both Bill Bruford and Tony Levin have directly or indirectly played with the big three. Bruford as a member of Yes, King Crimson and touring drummer with the Genesis quartet (before Chester Thompson took over). Levin as a member of King Crimson, ABWH and Peter Gabriel's backing band.

They can officially be considered the luckiest men of prog!
And Levin also played on a Pink Floyd album.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 07:22

I'm also surprised that no one has yet mentioned XYZ, a proposed band that was supposed to consist of ex-Yes and Led Zeppelin members.
The band was not just "proposed" or "supposed to consist of".
Squire, White and Page did actually rehearse together and there's some bootleg around with those sessions.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 07:25
Isn't there a Jethro Tull vinyl 7 inch single that was pressed with the name of the band misspelled as Jethro Toe?

ELP were not allowed to play their version of the hymn Jerusalem on stage in England during the 70's (the censor presumably deemed it sacrilegious)

ELP could not release Still You Turn Me On as a single from the Brain Salad Surgery album as an ELP record because Carl Palmer doesn't play on it. (This is a stipulation of the Performing Rights Society I think)

Edited by ExittheLemming - December 14 2010 at 07:36
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 07:52
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ there is strong evidence Bo Hansson and Jimi Hendrix were in fact the same person; to this day the two men have never been seen together except a brief "meeting" in Stockholm, 1967.  They inexplicably both happened to record 'Tax Free', and Jan Carlsson's drumming was almost identical to Mitch Mitchell's. 

I think the facts speak for themselves.  Who's with me?

I don't understand, why do you think Bo Hansson and Jimi Hendrix was the same person?
It's a huge difference between the two versions of Tax Free. H&K's version is an organ piece while Hendrix's is, of course a guitar piece.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 08:10
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Isn't there a Jethro Tull vinyl 7 inch single that was pressed with the name of the band misspelled as Jethro Toe?

What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 52>