Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnglagard - Hybris

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2011 at 22:11
I really love this album. Great from start to end. However, I do think it takes a few listens to appreciate it. The easier song for me to appreciate (and still my favourite) is Kung Borr, but they are all great.
Harold-The-Barrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 12:44
Thanks everyone for your input, I didn't get a chance today to listen to it so tomorrow will be the big dayBeer
You must be joking.....Take a running jump......
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 13:56
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I don't like it much at all.  While there's a lot going on- and some of it is good- it's a mess in terms of composition.  Tough for me to get through, to be honest.

I bought it last year, also because of the high PA rating, and was disappointed by it for the same reason as you. Although the musicianship is excellent and I was immediately taken away by the first minutes of Jordrok, after a few minutes I lost it completely and I didn't like it at all in terms of composition. It all sounds too fragmentary in my ears. And not in the good, classic, early Genesis way, but it seems to be going nowhere.

I still don't like it, by the way. But, reading some of the comments here, I certainly would want to try again and again, because some of you say it should grow by further listenings. Well, I'm planning on giving it a fair hearing. I remember one album which I only liked after seven (!) hearings (Coda - What A Symphony), so maybe I'll change my opinion someday about Hybris. To be continued.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 18:20
anyway Harold, if you're one of those mainstreamy symph-proggers you won't like it, but otherwise you should
ferush View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 19:37
Great Hybris, a trip to the past with a 90s album and one to the posterity.
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 20:50
I loved it immediately from first listen.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 20:57
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

I don't like it much at all.  While there's a lot going on- and some of it is good- it's a mess in terms of composition.  Tough for me to get through, to be honest.
I bought it last year, also because of the high PA rating, and was disappointed by it for the same reason as you. Although the musicianship is excellent and I was immediately taken away by the first minutes of Jordrok, after a few minutes I lost it completely and I didn't like it at all in terms of composition. It all sounds too fragmentary in my ears. And not in the good, classic, early Genesis way, but it seems to be going nowhere.
 I still don't like it, by the way. But, reading some of the comments here, I certainly would want to try again and again, because some of you say it should grow by further listenings. Well, I'm planning on giving it a fair hearing. I remember one album which I only liked after seven (!) hearings (Coda - What A Symphony), so maybe I'll change my opinion someday about Hybris. To be continued.

I kinda felt the same, but also realized what I was hearing was too rich to fully appreciate at once-- I waited, played it a bit more, started to really enjoy it

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 21:05
Originally posted by wilmon91 wilmon91 wrote:

Bearing in mind the amount of praise that I've read about this band, and this album, I think it must be the most overrated prog band / album. 

Sorry for the honesty, but this kind of statements always piss me.

Saying that a beloved album from a respected band  is overrated (receives credit that doesn't deserve), implies that we are all idiots who worship a band and album that doesn't deserve that respect just because you don't like them.

That's why I never use the word overrated.

Iván

michellemjk View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 21:11
Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

I loved it immediately from first listen.

This. I found it special but familiar.
TheJollyBard View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 21:20

It's just awesome, mostly because of the general atmosphere.

I personally like how seems to be falling apart and how the drummer knows how to make a good back-beat.

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 00:27
Of course one of the things which made Hybris so special was the timing and context when it appeared.
The early 90's are probably the most desolated period for prog, the peak of neo was already well passed and the renaissance brought by Spocks Beard, TFK etc was yet to come.
New Age (some of it I mean) was nearly the only decent music being released.

And then out of the blue came this album which sounded like a time machine back to 1973. Regardless of liking it or not it is certainly an album of historical significance, and probably an important trigger for the renaissance above mentioned. Thank you Anglagard.

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 00:36
I don't really see Anglagard as a throwback

Edited by Triceratopsoil - January 12 2011 at 00:36
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 01:54
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I don't really see Anglagard as a throwback
in terms of expressing theselves on an artistic level they probably are in the realms of symph prog.Most symph prog made after 1980 that I've heard fails to get this natural organic flavour that Anglagard seems to achieve almost effortlessly. I think this is partly because they utilised their own culture and emotions and didn't go for something 'second hand'.

Edited by richardh - January 12 2011 at 01:57
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 03:04
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

I kinda felt the same, but also realized what I was hearing was too rich to fully appreciate at once-- I waited, played it a bit more, started to really enjoy it

Good, I will certainly give it extra listenings, over an extended period of time. So many good ratings. As they say: 416 proggers can't be wrong LOL
Majikthise View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 05:14

It's a bit too off the wall for me, but like most complex music I'd need to give it a few more listens before I make any valid judgement.

love  the Chris Squire-esque huge prog bass sound though. It's wonderful.

wilmon91 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 06:01
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Bearing in mind the amount of praise that I've read about this band, and this album, I think it must be the most overrated prog band / album. 

Saying that a beloved album from a respected band  is overrated (receives credit that doesn't deserve), implies that we are all idiots who worship a band and album that doesn't deserve that respect just because you don't like them.

Iván

I didn't intend to piss you off, but I don't find any more relevant way to express myself. Because I don't find the album bad, it just doesn't match the overwhelming praise that it's been given.

It does sound very honest, and it does have all the ingredients that a prog-fan may like, and I can understand the appeal. I think it has a lot of ambition and noble intention, but is lacking in musical depth.

Since the band always have been extremely praised, and since that was the reason I bought the album , and was disappointed, I thought it was a good opportunity to state my opinion to examplify that it's not 100% sure that everyone will like the album - and most importantly, to encourage new listeners to keep an open mind and don't be swept away by what I think is an unjustified hype.

But I can agree that the word overrated is derogatory, in the sense that it may be over-used or misused on a forum like this, and therefore destructive to the discussion. Maybe I'll avoid it in the future. But I'll always defend opinions challenging the majority, even if I'm with the majority. Alternative individual opinions never bother me, but could provoke me to re-evaluate things to some extent.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 06:06

Iván

I didn't intend to piss you off, but I don't find any more relevant way to express myself. Because I don't find the album bad, it just doesn't match the overwhelming praise that it's been given.

It does sound very honest, and it does have all the ingredients that a prog-fan may like, and I can understand the appeal. I think it has a lot of ambition and noble intention, but is lacking in musical depth.

Since the band always have been extremely praised, and since that was the reason I bought the album , and was disappointed, I thought it was a good opportunity to state my opinion to examplify that it's not 100% sure that everyone will like the album - and most importantly, to encourage new listeners to keep an open mind and don't be swept away by what I think is an unjustified hype.

But I can agree that the word overrated is derogatory, in the sense that it may be over-used or misused on a forum like this, and therefore destructive to the discussion. Maybe I'll avoid it in the future. But I'll always defend opinions challenging the majority, even if I'm with the majority. Alternative individual opinions never bother me, but could provoke me to re-evaluate things to some extent.

It is overrated, don't worry.Smile

However...I do like it as I said before.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 11:59

Sorry, but the fact that you don't believe it's a great album doesn't mean that we are all wrong and rated the album too high, it just means you didn't like it as we.

Thanks..That was my only point. ClapClapClap

I also challenge the majority:

1. I don't like King Crimson except the debut
  2. I hate most Gentle Giant
  3. I can't stand a single VDGG album
  4. The voice of Jon Anderson breaks my nerves
  5. I like Triumvirat much more than ELP and don't consider them clones.
I encourage everybody to disagree if that will make you keep your honest position., but always thought that overrated is a term that offends those who like the album, because it implies that your position is more valid than the one of the majority.

Cheers

Iván

wilmon91 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 13:52

What I meant was that the word overrated can become derogatory if it is over-used or misused. It's a handy word for everyone on a forum like this, which makes me consider to avoid using it. Because it has become a derogatory term on this forum. Objectively, I don't see any problem with the word, other than that it's rather condemning.

About being offensive is interesting because I think most proggers is used to avoiding popular commercial music, which has the most listeners, and the most fans around the world. Many prog-fans wouldn't hesitate to call some popular artist "crap". Would they be offensive? Not very much, because one person can't hurt millions of people just by saying that it's crap.

Or an other example, if a bunch of people is outside enjoying a very sunny weather, and one of them says "it's very cold", would they be offended because they have the opposite opinion about the weather? No, not if they are sure of their own opinion. They would just find it a curious opinion.

It's the same with your opinion about Gentle Giant. You have a curious opinion about them Big smile

It's just funny to me, and I'm not the least offended.

That's the way I think about respect - be gentle with minorities, but a majority can withstand harsher criticism. But of course, you should never be driven by anger. And I'm not angry about Änglagård. I'm too used to be having alternate opinions to be frustrated about it.
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 16:35

I also challenge the majority:

1. I don't like King Crimson except the debut
  2. I hate most Gentle Giant
  3. I can't stand a single VDGG album
  4. The voice of Jon Anderson breaks my nerves
  5. I like Triumvirat much more than ELP and don't consider them clones.

What? ShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked.....LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>