Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is ProgArchives too progressive for its own good?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs ProgArchives too progressive for its own good?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is ProgArchives too progressive for its own good?
    Posted: February 03 2011 at 09:13

Over the last couple years or so,
I've found myself referring to ProgArchives less and less.

As the site's library of bands becomes more and more extensive,
the spectrum of reviewers seems to become much more expansive.

Although that sounds like a good thing on the surface, it kinda defeats
the purpose of (what once was) a generally like-minded niche community.

For albums that I am familiar with, I don't feel like I relate to many of the
opinions posted about them these days... and so it has become more difficult
for me to utilize reviews of unfamiliar albums as dependable reference tools.

When I see legendary 70s prog albums being reviewed as "totally overrated"
or "full of pretentious filler" and given 1 or 2 stars-- then I'm not sure that I get the
point of the site anymore.  If multiple people are completely trashing legitimate
classic albums by Yes or King Crimson (for example), then why bother reading on?
I can get those types of opinions from PunkArchives or GrungeArchives.

Oh well. (sigh)
Unhappy

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 09:19
I understand your point, but you're wrong in assuming that people rate low certain prog classics because they're fans of other kinds of progressive music, or not progressive fans at all (speaking of this, I don't believe there is anyone who reviewed albums on PA without being a fan of at least one of the categories on PA; punkers don't come to PA to rate down prog classics, that's stupid). Many of the people here who don't like, say, ITCOTCK or Close To The Edge don't rate them low because they're not prog fans, but because they don't like those albums. I can't understand what's not to like about them, but I can definitely accept the idea. De gustibus! 
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 09:36
Originally posted by altaeria altaeria wrote:

When I see legendary 70s prog albums being reviewed as "totally overrated"
or "full of pretentious filler" and given 1 or 2 stars-- then I'm not sure that I get the
point of the site anymore.  If multiple people are completely trashing legitimate
classic albums by Yes or King Crimson (for example), then why bother reading on?
I can get those types of opinions from PunkArchives or GrungeArchives.
I'm sorry you feel that everybody on the site has to have the same opinions.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
popeyethecat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 09:40
I think some people just get very excitable with their ratings. I generally only use 2, 3 and 4. And some people have got into a section of prog that they like, but then trash other sections very easily. This is the danger of websites that get big, I suppose! It starts to attract too many people.

I have only reviewed one album on ProgArchives. It's one of my favourites and I only gave it a 4 because this is ProgArchives...if it had been a metal site I would have given it 5 straight away, no doubt about it. And then there are others who are very prolific with opinions based on only 1 or 2 listens :S This is probably a case of those who make themselves heard the most...and it doesn't represent the number of people, I don't think?

But yeah, I hear you. The site is so broad that I actually pretty much left the forums a little confounded for about a year. But I'm creeping back a bit...so it has got some things going for it ;) Progressive music is just so broad!

Edited by popeyethecat - February 03 2011 at 09:42
The Sleepwalker View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 09:44
An album might have had a significant impact on prog and might be considered to be a classic, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. 

Actually, ITCOTCK is a 2 star album. 

javier0889 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 09:51
The divergence of opinions is what makes this kind of websites interesting, Without it, internet forums like this one wouldn't have a reason to exist,,, Yeah, there might be some people who love or hate certain bands or records, and they express those feelings through the reviews posted here, but you can do that too... We have the right to decide and show our opinions, obviously with the appropiate respect... As far as I'm concerned, we still live in a democratic society.
http://www.last.fm/user/javier0889
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 09:54
It would be shockingly dull if we all had the same opinions, and the site does a good job in weeding out the more obvious trolls.

Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 09:56
But isn't the point of a community that not everybody has the same opinions?

I love a lot of the classics, don't get me wrong, but there will be albums that people don't like, and it's incredibly unfair to discount these people's opinions just because you don't agree with them. 

I'm of the opinion that far too many reviewers here see the older albums with rose tinted glasses, they are good, but not that good. ITCOTCK is in fact a 2 star album, (as stated above) but only in my view, in the same way that the new prog, that you don't connect with, is also allowed to be five star. If we say that 70s 'classics' as you call them are exempt from critic, then the entire point of a community is completely lost....

If you wanted a 70s prog fan club then you've come to the wrong place, and that's completely counter intuitive to what prog stands for.

Edited by JS19 - February 03 2011 at 09:58
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 09:58
I don't think many of the prog classics are underrated. A low rating once in a while won't hurt to much, though I myself like the classic prog era very much.

Perhaps the problem has indeed more to do with the expansion of the progressive genre and the huge amount of new bands that has been added (often rightfully).

I myself would wish you could put PA in 'classic prog' mode, which would exclude every band from after '79. I don't think it will every come to existence.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 10:01
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

I don't think many of the prog classics are underrated. A low rating once in a while won't hurt to much, though I myself like the classic prog era very much.

Perhaps the problem has indeed more to do with the expansion of the progressive genre and the huge amount of new bands that has been added (often rightfully).

I myself would wish you could put PA in 'classic prog' mode, which would exclude every band from after '79. I don't think it will every come to existence.

Add ten years to reach 1989, and you could almost be Walter in disguiseConfused
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 10:16
I agree that everyone is entitled to an opinion and we need a divergence of opinions.
Personally(and I  am not the only one)  I don't like the way the 2020-2011 top looks. I think it has too much metal/experimental , and there are enough metal sites, but that's how it is, so I filter out the metal and fusion(whithch also isn't my cup of tea)concentrate on what I like in prog.Another feeling I have is that in the metal/experimental area the 5 stars are thrown too easily(maybe because some really masterpieces that could be a reference point are missing in  this categories).
Regarding ITCOTKC, I am not a big KC fan but I wouldn' rate it 2 stars, IMHO you have to judge an album in its historical context and for sure young people(mostly) might like less the "classics" .
So as a conclusion there are a lot ogf good things in PA, everyone should go for what he likes and ignore the rest.

toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 10:16

Being "progressive" I think any new members should really check out the free download albums we offer and really branch out in all possible directions. I entered ProgArchives as symph prog fan, but I am now mostly into everything I did not like before I became a member here.

In short; become a member and then branch out into all possible genres we offer. Check my signature, btw. That's the honest truth about ProgArchives. 

Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 10:17
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

You can do that fairly easily by going to the TOP 2010-2011 page and change the range of years from 1970 to 1975.
Don't bother with post 75 music. LOL

If you select a specific sub then it becomes even more useful, though some unpopular genres have some strange results due to hate-ratings (Tago Mago is a good example)

Edited by Bonnek - February 03 2011 at 10:18
PlumAplomb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 10:17
isn't the point of prog being progressive anyway?  i would think you'd want a huge forum of varying opinions. i was talking to tricertopsoil the other day as to why my girls tori amos and bjork were on this site, ive been a fan of both of them for fifteen plus years and they are def not prog rock but he explained to me that they were progressive artists, so i get it now and i see nothing wrong with a growing site where people learn other types of music if they are so inclined. i came here because i wanted to understand prog more so i came to the best :)
la la la and a bottle of plum!

and when it lands
will my eyes
be closed or open?
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 10:20
Originally posted by PlumAplomb PlumAplomb wrote:

...not prog rock but he explained to me that they were progressive artists, ...

Problem is that if this place is supposed to be "Progressive Archives" instead of Prog Archives then it's missing at least 1000 bands
Curutchet View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 10:22
I don't think some people 'trash' classic albums. Or atleast, I don't think it's a problem. Everyone has a right to an opinion, and when you get too addicted to prog, you don't accept that some other people simply don't like some albums that are considered "classic". For example, I'm in love with all the prog from the 70s (and this comes from a guy who has more than 500 prog albums); I love the first 3 King Crimson albums, but I really don't like "Red" and "Discipline" which are somewhat considered "classic" albums. However, I would  only give them 2 stars (maybe 3).

Edited by Curutchet - February 03 2011 at 10:25
hobocamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 10:25
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

It would be shockingly dull if we all had the same opinions, and the site does a good job in weeding out the more obvious trolls.
Good point. It's within the diversity of opinions that we are able to learn about each other and the music we love. I may not always agree with Walter but I respect his opinion. He even makes me laugh occasionally.
Philius Maximus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 10:50
Interesting question, and I do know what you mean - many of us regard a certain period - early to mid 70's as a "Golden Era of Prog" and many of my favourite albums are from this era.

But as time goes on and younger members join I guess their perspective will be different - some probably look back to their youth when the music of the "good old days" that they love would have been (say) the early Marillion, Pallas, Pendragon albums etc. For them the likes of Fragile, Selling England... etc will mean nothing, and I don't think that really matters.

Add to that the fact that "Prog" has become an umbrella term for so many sub genres some of which have very little in common with each other, and so I think it's not surprising that opinions are going to differ so much.

Although I tend to favour the "classic prog" era more I have found ProgArchives essential as a guide to help track down newer music that I am likely to enjoy. I just think it's a question of using a bit of common sense - you can usually tell from peoples reviews whether a particular album is likely to appeal, whether the reviewer likes it or not.

I say "come one come all!!

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 11:35
One thing I always tend to keep in mind while reading a review, is that it's somebody's opinion, and I don't necessarily have to agree with it or accept it as the all in all. This is one of the reasons I like progressive music, artists don't care about critics opinions, or what is in fashion, they write the music they want, follow their inspiration, and are not too concern about being accepted by the mass media, or individual opinions you can find in forums like P A. So if someone wants to trash "Thin k as a Brick" or "Selling England by the Pound" , while respecting their opinion, I understand that's how they feel, but it doesn't have to influence the way I feel about the music, and certainly I will not like it any less based upon their feelings. 
EnderEd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 11:49
I think when people give a low rating to a time-defined classic, it's basically either because they think it's cool being contrarian, or probably don't realize that a rating something's quality is not the same thing as rating it for personal likability. I personally don't like growl, so Haken's "Aquarius" this year is not in my own top ten list. BUT, I would never say it isn't a four-star album. I've listened to it a few times, read the reviews, and understand completely why it deserves those accolades. I feel the same way about Univers Zero's "Clivages"-- GREAT album, but I don't like it. Maybe it's a generational thing? Equating value with subjectivism?
--EnderEd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>