Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDream Theater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 42>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2013 at 14:05
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Why does James' voice sound so weird on Chaos In Motion? It doesn't even sound like him. He sounds like somebody trying to sound like him, and failing.

Bad stage techs and sh*tty Mics. Also, LaBrie really wasn't at his best for a while after Octavarium, vocally. Trying a more harsh, dark tone at times in songs really didn't work very well.

You mean a "harsh, dark" chipmunk? He really sounds off on some songs and I don't think it's a mic problem.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2013 at 14:42

Why does James' voice sound so weird on Chaos In Motion? It doesn't even sound like him. He sounds like somebody trying to sound like him, and failing.

Bad stage techs and sh*tty Mics. Also, LaBrie really wasn't at his best for a while after Octavarium, vocally. Trying a more harsh, dark tone at times in songs really didn't work very well.

You mean a "harsh, dark" chipmunk? He really sounds off on some songs and I don't think it's a mic problem.

Sounds a little like Dave Mustaine when he tries that vocal action.
Main chorus on The Count Of Tuscony and Dark Eternal Night are good examples.
Doesn't work for me. LaBrie is perfect in other areas, but not the harsh game.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2013 at 14:47
Originally posted by bloodnarfer bloodnarfer wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I understand where you are coming from with The Mars Volta... but somehow Zavala annoys me much less than LaBrie. I guess he is just more unique, has more personality. LaBrie just sings high notes in a very annoying way... though, acutally, when he is singing softly I really enjoy his delivery a lot, but as soon as he starts singing loudly he loses me, I just can't stand him. Still, I like DT much more than The Mars Volta.

So I take it a song like Caught in A Web or Dark Eternal Night would send you through the roof.
My tolerance of LaBrie has dropped dramatically over the years.  I used to like him, but I can barely stand him anymore, especially when he's trying to sound metal or edgy.  It just doesn't come off as genuine.  But I think he sounds pretty good on the Ayreon album for the most part and I think he would be a better fit for something like that.

Well I think on the last 2 albums (ADTOE, S/T) LaBrie is sticking to more at what he is good at.
I like his approach off the latest album. What he did in the last part of Illumination Theory (pt4: surrender trust&passion) I think he nails it! That's more of what he should be doing. ;)
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2013 at 16:34

I understand where you are coming from with The Mars Volta... but somehow Zavala annoys me much less than LaBrie. I guess he is just more unique, has more personality. LaBrie just sings high notes in a very annoying way... though, acutally, when he is singing softly I really enjoy his delivery a lot, but as soon as he starts singing loudly he loses me, I just can't stand him. Still, I like DT much more than The Mars Volta.

So I take it a song like Caught in A Web or Dark Eternal Night would send you through the roof.
My tolerance of LaBrie has dropped dramatically over the years.  I used to like him, but I can barely stand him anymore, especially when he's trying to sound metal or edgy.  It just doesn't come off as genuine.  But I think he sounds pretty good on the Ayreon album for the most part and I think he would be a better fit for something like that.

Well I think on the last 2 albums (ADTOE, S/T) LaBrie is sticking to more at what he is good at.
I like his approach off the latest album. What he did in the last part of Illumination Theory (pt4: surrender trust&passion) I think he nails it! That's more of what he should be doing. ;)

Agreed!
"Mothers for their children!
Husbands for their wives!"

He kills it on that part.

Edited by Andy Webb - December 20 2013 at 21:34
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2013 at 21:34
Originally posted by AlexDOM AlexDOM wrote:

Agreed!
"Mothers for their children!
Husbands for their wives!"

He kills it on that part.

eek! I edited your post at first instead of quoting it. My bad, sorry!

anyway...

That was probably his best moment on that album.

If you read my review (it's long and not so nice), I was very critical of his vocal melodies for DT13. LaBrie seemed to do only what he knew and nothing more - basic structures, basic melodies, nothing fancy, and nothing good really. DT have some absolutely gorgeous vocal melodies over the years and song after song DT13 was boring, boring, boring, and more boring. Illumination Theory was really the only song where the vocals shined. 
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2013 at 22:24

[/QUOTE]

anyway...

If you read my review (it's long and not so nice), I was very critical of his vocal melodies for DT13. LaBrie seemed to do only what he knew and nothing more - basic structures, basic melodies, nothing fancy, and nothing good really. DT have some absolutely gorgeous vocal melodies over the years and song after song DT13 was boring, boring, boring, and more boring. Illumination Theory was really the only song where the vocals shined. 
[/QUOTE]

See that's where I disagree. The vocals in The Looking Glass, Behind The Veil, and especially Surrender to Reason are not boring. Well at least for me... The "Restless Angels" line in Surrender to Reason is one of the most powerful and uplifting deliveries I've ever heard and I can see fans chanting those lyrics for years to come in concerts. I love that part, it pumps me up every time.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2013 at 22:26

anyway...

See that's where I disagree. The vocals in The Looking Glass, Behind The Veil, and especially Surrender to Reason are not boring. Well at least for me... The "Restless Angels" line in Surrender to Reason is one of the most powerful and uplifting deliveries I've ever heard and I can see fans chanting those lyrics for years to come in concerts. I love that part, it pumps me up every time.

See, they are all that you say they are, I agree, it's just it's nothing new, so I feel like I've heard it all before. It's disappointing to hear those kinds of melodies from such a high caliber group of composers like DT.
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2013 at 22:32
Originally posted by Andy Webb Andy Webb wrote:

anyway...

See, they are all that you say they are, I agree, it's just it's nothing new, so I feel like I've heard it all before. It's disappointing to hear those kinds of melodies from such a high caliber group of composers like DT.

I can see that. Guess that's what made Illumination Theory stand out vocally. He sounded like his "Awake" self which I love. Though if I want to listen to stunning vocals I always run to bands like Opeth, Pain of Salvation, Cynic, and Riverside.

Edited by AlexDOM - December 20 2013 at 22:41
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2013 at 00:09

Also. Who got their DT tickets today!? A lot of North American venues were open for ticket sales to the public starting today.

I just saw their website. I'm stoked that they'll be coming to Salem, OR. Can't wait to see them next spring. Clap
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2013 at 11:47
Why are only the most expensive tickets (at least for the KC show) available?  I love DT but sorry, I'm not paying 9000 dollars for a ticket.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2013 at 11:56
Hmm...I just checked the Detroit show and it shows no tickets available.  Hard to believe that it already sold out.  No prog bands ever come to Detroit, so there can't be anybody around here who likes prog.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2013 at 16:22
If there are tickets left next week I may buy some....bad week to open ticket sales with Christmas 4 days away Confused. DT is not on anyone's Christmas list......I suppose I would not be broken hearted not seeing them this go round.
Inharmonia87 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2013 at 21:56
Lucky Americans and Europeans... DT hasn't been seen in Australia for years :(
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2013 at 10:48
^ Lucky Canadians as well!

Got tickets for the Toronto Show (Massey Hall) and Vancouver show in April (Queen Elizabeth Theatre)

The Massey show in T.O sold out so fast! I went online right when the ticket sales were open and the whole lower half was sold out! Best I could do and find was 1st row upper bowl, which is just fine because Massey Hall is a really tight, small venue with incredible acoustics. Anyhow, The Vancouver show is another matter...got row #1 first level right in the center stage!

Also guys. I'm guess I'm not surprised that now DT is becoming a hot ticket. I think people are starting to get it that Prog is incredible and DT are one of the big faces/representatives of that.
The Toronto show sold out in 14min. This raises my eyebrow a bit where I don't think Prog rock is decreasing in popularity; In Fact, Prog Rock is on the Rise and DT are helping to lead the charge. It's nice to see.

Meanwhile, Merry Christmas to all of you and I really hope you guys get the tickets you want.

Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2013 at 11:07
I was surprised that DT didn't open like always in San Francisco- it's been a tradition to watch them every tour! Hope they get there soon.

I have seen DT live more than any other band...

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2013 at 19:06
Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

I was surprised that DT didn't open like always in San Francisco- it's been a tradition to watch them every tour! Hope they get there soon.I have seen DT live more than any other band...

It's better for you if they don't open their tour with the concert you are attending. Usually the first concerts in a tour are the worse because the bands haven't warmed up well enough yet.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 08:10
I`m still about the band without Mike.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 13:57
I am surprised that I am not feeling more disappointed about deciding not to see them in Seattle.....Told my wife they are coming and she said she would take the day off.....I told her not to worry probably not going, she was more shocked than I was.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 14:14
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I am surprised that I am not feeling more disappointed about deciding not to see them in Seattle.....Told my wife they are coming and she said she would take the day off.....I told her not to worry probably not going, she was more shocked than I was.

Jose, I think your making a big mistake. Go see them in Seattle!
As you may know, the album AWAKE turns 20 years-old this year (oct/4th) so Dream Theater will be celebrating and playing a ton of music from that album for their upcoming tours this year. Also, they made a special announment that they will include SPACE DYE-VEST in their set list's for upcoming tours in North America.
I'm pretty excited cause I've never heard them play SPACE-DYE live.
Anyway, as your friend my only advice to you is that you should go.
:)
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 14:19

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Jose, I think your making a big mistake. Go see them in Seattle!
As you may know, the album AWAKE turns 20 years-old this year (oct/4th) so Dream Theater will be celebrating and playing a ton of music from that album for their upcoming tours this year. Also, they made a special announment that they will include SPACE DYE-VEST in their set list's for upcoming tours in North America.
I'm pretty excited cause I've never heard them play SPACE-DYE live.
Anyway, as your friend my only advice to you is that you should go.
:)

It's the one song they have never played live (aside from the new stuff) and I think it's because Kevin Moore wrote it himself, and left the band soon after. Where did you hear that? I'd love to see that in their setlist.

I'm planning on seeing them in Salem, OR, and I'm quite excited to hear they'll be so close. Seattle would be fun too, but probably a bit of a trek.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 42>