Topic ClosedDoes intelligence matter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Knud Sandbęk View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2016 at 15:40
Yes and no, depending on situation. I would always talt to a child who adresses me for help. We may, while waiting for the help I would call for on the childs behalf via my phone, perhaps have a very fruitful and friendly and funny conversation.

Perhaps I would normally prefer to converse with an adult. But since here is a child who has lost contact with the parents, and I may have been able to find them on the online phone registry, and now we're just waiting for a blue car to come for the resque. What do we talk about?

Music is no absolute. In dance halls you don't need some folk singer, and when in love you don't want explanations for there are none or too many, even contradicting, and you just need the right amount of idiocy and humanity - in relations with your own culture, mind you!

But when I really look for musical inspiration, and not the track underlying my own life lies... YES!

AS an amateur musician, definately! And I recommend the norwegian band from the seventies, Popol Vuh (not to be confued with the german band of the same name):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCe-CNCEQbc

MatoSerbia View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2012 at 15:34
Well, prog is generally more complicated than most other genres, because of rhythm, unusual time signatures and lyrics and so on, and so on, but I don't think it's listener's IQ that matters, but musician's :)

Edited by MatoSerbia - August 28 2012 at 15:34
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2012 at 20:30
Not sure if it does or not. Maybe listening to prog makes you smarter. :)
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2012 at 11:25
I'm intelligent. I think it's okay to be intelligent. Prog music provides something to be intelligent about. Intelligence matters as it does with humanities in general, I would simply have to hope.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2012 at 14:27
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by DisillusionedGiraffe DisillusionedGiraffe wrote:

I'll leave it to others to decide whether I'm an intellectual but I am certainly interested in intellectual pursuits. I do think musical taste and intellect have a link. Classical music for example, I find to be something favored by a very large majority of smart people. 

You've never seen the last night of the Proms have you?

Brilliant post, IainClap I got it, if no one else did.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Meta View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2012 at 12:30
Originally posted by Zargasheth Zargasheth wrote:

And there is probably a small correlation between being intelligent and thinking you're intelligent (although certainly neither implies the other.)

There is a fascinating phenomenon called the Dunning-Kruger Effect, which is summarized as follows (from Wikipedia):

"Kruger and Dunning proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people will:

1. tend to overestimate their own level of skill;
  2. fail to recognize genuine skill in others;
  3. fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy;
  4. recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill, if they are exposed to training for that skill"

I would be willing to guess that along with competence the more intelligent people are, the more they realize and are aware of their own limitations and would probably be less likely to overestimate their intelligence. The reverse is probably true of less intelligent people. 
Zargasheth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2012 at 12:08
It is possible that some correlation occurs because people who enjoy complex music--who enjoy listening to music partially because they enjoy thinking about it--also enjoy thinking about and analyzing other things. I'm not saying this would produce a very strong correlation, but it might be there.

Also, there are certain genres or bands that have a stereotype of intelligence or stupidity associated to them, and generally people who think they're intelligent will want to listen to the former and avoid the latter. And there is probably a small correlation between being intelligent and thinking you're intelligent (although certainly neither implies the other.)
Meta View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2012 at 09:53
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

I am going to take a stab in the dark and suggest that the SAT/Music correlation chart is likely based on a small sample size. Counting Crows with the smartest of rock listeners? That singer's caterwauling causes me physical distress.

This quote is from the guy who made the chart:

"

I've listened to artists who after listening to I thought to myself "Wow... loving this rubbish says a lot about someone and how much they got going on in their head." Could one's musical tastes say something about intelligence? How about SAT scores? Well, like any good scientist, I decided to see how well my personal experience matches reality. How might one do this?

Well, here's one idea.

1. Get a friend of yours to download, using Facebook, the ten most frequent "favorite music" at every college via that college's Network Statistics page on Facebook (manually -- as not to violate Facebook's ToS). These ten "favorite musics" are perhaps indicative of the overall intellectual milieu of that college.
  2. Download the average SAT/ACT score (from CollegeBoard) for students attending every college.
  3. Presto! We have a correlation between musical tastes and dumbitude (smartitude too)!
    Music <=> Colleges <=> Average SAT Scores
  4. Plot the average SAT of each "favorite music", discarding those with too few samples to have a reliable average.
  5. Post the results on your website, pondering what the Internet will think of it.
Yes, I'm aware correlation ≠ causation. The results are hilarity incarnate regardless of causality.
You can stop sending me email about this distinction. Thanks.
"
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2012 at 08:25
I am going to take a stab in the dark and suggest that the SAT/Music correlation chart is likely based on a small sample size. Counting Crows with the smartest of rock listeners? That singer's caterwauling causes me physical distress.
Josef_K View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2012 at 07:08
To me, it doesn't matter. If you are intelligent AND interested in music, you are most likely to analyze music on a much deeper level than people who are not intelligent and/or aren't interested in music. If you like to analyze the music you listen to you are quite likely to be moving further into the more obscure genres in search for something that stimulates your analytic activity. Still this will not be your only criteria for liking a genre. For example, classical music is not interesting for me to analyze simply because I cannot relate to the sound landscape. It is highly developed music theoretically, but simply not interesting on an emotional level (there are a few exceptions as always).

Measuring emotional intelligence is always a subjective thing, so I would say that it's impossible to say what music is for the intelligent. I can tell you this however, I will continue to analyze all kinds of music and use fancy words to describe why I don't like Adele's "21" album etc because that is a great part of how I listen to music and I believe that you have to try hard (of course this will often make you come across as pretentious) to explain why you like/don't like a certain type of music in order to gain the respect of someone who does like it. I would be interested in hearing more of that from anyone disliking my favorite bands at least...
Leave the past to burn,
At least that's been his own

- Peter Hammill
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2012 at 06:38
Does this mean that i have to listen more Beethoven to be intelligent, or it's because i am not listening to Beethoven that i am not intelligent!
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2012 at 06:37
Originally posted by DisillusionedGiraffe DisillusionedGiraffe wrote:

I'll leave it to others to decide whether I'm an intellectual but I am certainly interested in intellectual pursuits. I do think musical taste and intellect have a link. Classical music for example, I find to be something favored by a very large majority of smart people. 

You've never seen the last night of the Proms have you?
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2012 at 02:34
 LOL  country music = fail
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Meta View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2012 at 02:31
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

I failed the air traffic controller test. 

Being an air traffic controller is my day job. Sorry to hear about your test. Unhappy

I think there is some correlation between the kind of music one enjoys and intelligence. It doesn't necessarily mean that prog correlates to a higher IQ. Here is a chart I found pretty interesting, aligning musical preferences vs. SAT score:

DisillusionedGiraffe View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 22:35
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 20:02
Originally posted by Cloud Forest Cloud Forest wrote:

well you wount see rednecks listen to prog rock. Progressive rock is for more intelligent part of society  Big smile

Hey,

Hey,

I'm from Alabama jerk.Angry
Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 18:46
Originally posted by Big Ears Big Ears wrote:

My IQ is around 120 on a good day, but I still like progressive rock.
I find IQ to be somewhat worthless and unimportant thing. One's intelligence cannot be measured by a simple test. I have never taken IQ test, so it might be accurate, but my observations so far say no.
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 15:39
You don't have to be smart to listen to prog, but I do believe it makes you smarter Approve
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/
Josh18293 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 13:13
Intelligence < Appreciation 
mostever View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2012 at 21:15
You can be intelligent and not enjoy progressive music, and you can be unintelligent and enjoy progressive music. 'Intelligence' is a crude concept anyways; I see know "more" or "less" intelligent; I see different perspectives and plastic reality.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>