Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes intelligence matter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 15:05
I think all music requires a degree of intelligence to appreciate. That's why you don't see Sea Barnacles and Domesticated Goldfish perusing record stores.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 15:06
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Is anybody interrested in music these days? It is so secondary that people take it for granted . It's everywhere. TV, movies, games etc. Most of tEarth's population think what  Bieber and Céline Dion do  is music.

I remember back in 2007 ( I think ) Joshua Bell who is considered to be one of the top clasical violin virtuosos ( and highest paid ) on the planet took his 3 million dollar Stratavarios vilion into the Washington DC metro during rush hour and played for about an hour and collected about $ 30 and hardly anyone stopped to admire his playing. One woman stopped and said that it was "fantastic " Of course it was a publicity stunt staged by the Washington Post just to illustrate how clued out people are.

I dunno,  were there any intelligent people passing by besides that woman.

In Washington, DC???......uhhhh NO
Phulax-Wolfgang View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 15:08
Originally posted by Conor Fynes Conor Fynes wrote:

I think all music requires a degree of intelligence to appreciate. That's why you don't see Sea Barnacles and Domesticated Goldfish perusing record stores.

Thought of this www.fat-pie.com/musicmouth.htm and www.fat-pie.com/musicguess.htm

Edited by Phulax-Wolfgang - February 28 2011 at 16:10
'If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Isaac Newton
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 15:10
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

I can't fry an egg without breaking it Cry

Dude....I can't get water to boil CryCryCry.......but I can fry an egg with a solid yoke!! Clap
cacha71 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 15:12
I think that Prog attracts a certain sort of personality which gets bored easily and seeks stimulation, and this may be linked to intelligence, but that's as far as it goes.  I know plenty of highly intelligent people who don't listen to Prog, or aren't interested even in music.  However,  I can't say I've met any proggers who can be described as stupid.

I certainly don't think that an ability in foreign languages such as Ancient Greek or Latin can be linked to appreciation of Prog.  And knowing these languages doesn't automatically make you intelligent.  Intelligence has many forms and doesn't dictate taste.
http://www.last.fm/group/Progressive+Folk
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 15:16
If the only intelligent people in the world were the proggers the future of the human race would look even darker than it does already...
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 15:46
Music is very abstract. So is the humour of Monty Python's Flying Circus. I guess either you get it or you don't regardless of genre. I get a lot of musical styles but what I don't get is garbage that is manafactured by the record execs. 
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 15:51
It takes a open mind and i don't think most of us are gifted with this by nature, but by their culture. 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 16:00

Music is very abstract. So is the humour of Monty Python's Flying Circus. I guess either you get it or you don't regardless of genre. I get a lot of musical styles but what I don't get is garbage that is manafactured by the record execs. 

I can only agree. 'YOU'RE NOT A YES-MAN ARE YOU?' - 'NO, ERM...'

Edited by Phulax-Wolfgang - February 28 2011 at 16:03
'If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Isaac Newton
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 16:04
Yes, but only the artificial kind...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 16:28
When talking about intelligence and it's relation to something, it gets kinda complicated, as there are different types of intelligence, and a given individual may have different amounts of any given type of intelligence.
          Someone said before that music cannot solve world problems.
           Never underestimate the capabilities of music-listening to it can be a profound experience, and it can inspire people, and move mountains!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 16:31
Didn't Jethro Tull help oust a dictator or something? Blasting some at his hiding place or something. That's a problem music has helped.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 16:39
Originally posted by Phulax-Wolfgang Phulax-Wolfgang wrote:

Didn't Jethro Tull help oust a dictator or something? Blasting some at his hiding place or something. That's a problem music has helped.
I do see what you are getting at-i guess music helps to inspire someone, so helping in big problems in a kind of indirect way, you might say, or in a symbolic way
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 19:32
I wouldn't say as much intelligence as a striving of the mind for more.  If a person is not content to accept what they are told or follow the crowd, that often will carry over to their musical tastes.  Sometimes though, intelligence does help with picking up lyrical themes, humor, etc.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 19:48
Duh?
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 20:22
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

a minimal form of musical intelligence maybe, you might still suck at math or languages or social skills

^This

This thread made me cross Angry 

I would never imply that I was better/more intelligent than anyone else, just because of my music tastes. It's wrong, and people who think that need to climb out of their backsides and look into the real world. It's not an 'elitist group' of sorts, we're just sharing our similar musical tastes, as it's difficult to find people who know about these things in the same level of detail, anywhere else.

I have no intention of putting on my 'antique' cardigan and hipster glasses and look down my nose at everyone else. Anyway, don't we listen to music for ourselves, not for anyone else?

Edited by JS19 - February 28 2011 at 20:27
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 02:44
Originally posted by Conor Fynes Conor Fynes wrote:

You've never been to Australia have you?Wink
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 02:53

Is anybody interrested in music these days? It is so secondary that people take it for granted . It's everywhere. TV, movies, games etc. Most of tEarth's population think what  Bieber and Céline Dion do  is music.

I remember back in 2007 ( I think ) Joshua Bell who is considered to be one of the top clasical violin virtuosos ( and highest paid ) on the planet took his 3 million dollar Stratavarios vilion into the Washington DC metro during rush hour and played for about an hour and collected about $ 30 and hardly anyone stopped to admire his playing. One woman stopped and said that it was "fantastic " Of course it was a publicity stunt staged by the Washington Post just to illustrate how clued out people are.

uh, because people had places to go, classes to attend, jobs to get to, children to drop off/pick up?

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 03:23
Originally posted by KoS KoS wrote:

uh, because people had places to go, classes to attend, jobs to get to, children to drop off/pick up?

A rose in a field of corn is a weed.
What?
thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 04:24

Liking prog requires not intelligence, but:

Patience, tolerance, open-minded-ness, an active ear (as opposed to a passive one)...... as well as time on your hands.

Those things, it could be argued, are seen more in intelligent people and thus proves the OP's point.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>