Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSeventh Wonder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 17:33
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

Waiting in the Wings - this is kind of an "AOR" situation

The Great Escape - Another "AOR" deal
yes, besides Dream Theater, another obvious influence is a band from their own country, Europe.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 17:34

Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Quite true. There is an specific term for what I mean in Portuguese, which is my mother tongue
Alright, I can see now how you wouldn't understand why that word would raise fury, and I apologize for bringing it upon you.  But from a native English speaker - you have to be VERY careful how you use that word when talking about anything artistic.  It's almost as bad as accusing someone of doing unspeakable acts to children, as far as art goes.

With all the due respect, you are overreacting. A lot.
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 18:14
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

yes, besides Dream Theater, another obvious influence is a band from their own country, Europe.

Who are you thinking?  Someone from Norway?
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 18:14

Quite true. There is an specific term for what I mean in Portuguese, which is my mother tongue
Alright, I can see now how you wouldn't understand why that word would raise fury, and I apologize for bringing it upon you.  But from a native English speaker - you have to be VERY careful how you use that word when talking about anything artistic.  It's almost as bad as accusing someone of doing unspeakable acts to children, as far as art goes.

With all due respect, don't say "plagiarism" unless you intend to make a serious accusation.

Edited by dtguitarfan - June 23 2012 at 18:14
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 19:48

It hurt me to hear how hard these guys work, and how little they are appreciated for it - I mean, they have a lot of love from their fans, but it's not enough to pay the bills, and I think if anyone deserves to make a living through music it's a band like this that has undeniably achieved excellence through so much hard work.  You can't deny the hard work they've put into the mastery of their instruments (including vocals) when you hear these guys.

If Dream Theater invited them to open their shows, maybe they would get more attention and even be signed on a bigger label.Their musicianship is superb, it's indeed a shame they have so little appreciation.

I'm certain of it. Big Elf got a huge deal of attention just because Mike Portnoy decided to give the ma hand.

Who are you thinking?  Someone from Norway?

Oh man. . . . LOL He means the Swede band Europe, famous for songs such as Final Countdown.

Alright, I can see now how you wouldn't understand why that word would raise fury, and I apologize for bringing it upon you.  But from a native English speaker - you have to be VERY careful how you use that word when talking about anything artistic.  It's almost as bad as accusing someone of doing unspeakable acts to children, as far as art goes.

With all due respect, don't say "plagiarism" unless you intend to make a serious accusation.

crimson87 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 20:02

C'mon. You gotta realize that English is not the mother tongue of the world. There are several languages around the globe. And the way I see it , this site is not called "The Anglo Saxon Progressive Rock Archives" It's meant to reunite people all around the world and some of the best prog reviewers and collaborators come from non English speaking countries. So in the end you have to be thankful that you were born in an English speaking country so you don't have the necesity to know other languages to get a job in most occasions.

Besides unless you are a relative to SW bandmembers I don't think there is the need to worry that much about stuff like plagiarism (let's rephrase it with "ridiculously influenced by" so we do not hurt anybody's sensibilities.)

Sorry if I was a bit too harsh but that's my POV.
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 05:42

^
Mercy Falls, best introduction to the band :

Thanks. Sounded quite nice, I think I'll check that one first, then Tongue
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123