Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The New Neal Morse Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 45>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 18:32
Yea...other than Steven Wilson show and upcoming Rush in Nov....2012 was sucking. This makes it mo'betta now!!

Gonna be another good one for sure
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2012 at 13:56
Mike Portnoy talks about "Momentum", the upcoming tour, and the eventual return of Transatlantic.

Randy George also discusses Neal's new album "Momentum"

Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morsenator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2012 at 16:20
It looks like the dudes are almost getting tired of Neal being so awesome LOL
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 17:53
The excitement over this 33 minute epic is exciting to me big time:)
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2012 at 22:42
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2012 at 11:54
Can't wait for October 7th and this 33 min Morse epic........I wonder if he will allow us a bathroom break within the song? LOL
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2012 at 12:52
Here's another clip of Neal and his new band on TV.

http://www.wbko.com/video/?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=7468133
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2012 at 12:56
Here's Neal, along with Randy George, holding auditions for his new touring band.

EDIT - the links didn't work, but the videos are right there on Neal's home page, right on top.

http://www.nealmorse.com/

Edited by darkshade - July 06 2012 at 14:39
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2012 at 15:15
According to part 3 of the audition video, Brazilian fusion guitarist Adson Sondre, who will be in Neal's new band, actually played some parts on Neal's new album, which Neal admitted was a little hard for him to play, so Adson guested on a couple spots on the album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morsenator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2012 at 11:05
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

According to part 3 of the audition video, Brazilian fusion guitarist Adson Sondre, who will be in Neal's new band, actually played some parts on Neal's new album, which Neal admitted was a little hard for him to play, so Adson guested on a couple spots on the album.

Now that's interesting Tongue Should be pretty fast stuff then.

Lofcaudio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lofcaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2012 at 15:45
Just saw Neal (and Adson) in concert on Friday night at Cornerstone.  Adson had no trouble laying down some crazy solos (including the blistering solo from "The Door").  This new band is really, really good.

Edited by Lofcaudio - July 08 2012 at 15:47
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2012 at 21:17
So it looks like there is going to be a special edition of Momentum. That, and other inside info on this link.

http://www.radiantrecords.com/products/396-momentum-special-edition.aspx
Lofcaudio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lofcaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2012 at 12:35
Mike Portnoy seems to think that Momentum is going to be great.  He just tweeted that he think it is deserving of prog album of the year.

Mike is obviously biased, but if he's that enthusiastic about it, you'd have to think it's going to be pretty good.

Edited by Lofcaudio - July 19 2012 at 12:37
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2012 at 13:33
He is biased, of course; but he's been talking up Momentum more than he did Testimony 2 (from what I can recall), both the music and his own drumming on the album, so there must be something going on.
BlackenedGass View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackenedGass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2012 at 15:53
I must admit, I was reluctant to listen to Neal's solo material. The reason being that I really don't like it when a musician forces their beliefs onto the listener. (It's why I'm not so fond of Roger Water's solo music.)

However I decided to check him out at High Voltage and enjoyed his set immensley. Such great music and there was a great atmosphere. Neal looked like he was enjoying himself and his band were very impressive.

Needless to say... I've got a lot of catching up to do!
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2012 at 10:43
Music video for Neal's new single "Momentum", featuring a pretty crazy guitar solo from Paul Gilbert. More of a straightforward Neal song, pretty good, IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH7RBTDd4Yg&feature=youtu.be

Edited by darkshade - July 26 2012 at 10:45
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morsenator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2012 at 12:07
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Music video for Neal's new single "Momentum", featuring a pretty crazy guitar solo from Paul Gilbert. More of a straightforward Neal song, pretty good, IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH7RBTDd4Yg&feature=youtu.be

Needs more air guitar LOL I wonder what those people on the streets where thinking while this was filmed. The song is good but nothing spectacular, I hope the album will have proggier pieces than this.

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2012 at 12:39
I'm sure it will. Neal usually has a more straightforward song or 2 on his albums.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morsenator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2012 at 14:37
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2012 at 14:48
I'm a big fan of Neal's but I have to say that since Sola Scriptura he stagnated to me, not bad at all, always very good, but he did not surpass his previous works.

Lifeline had a 5-star title track, a couple of good tracks and some regular material.

I liked Testimony 2 the first two times I listened to it and Seeds Of Gold seemed like a really great epic but after repeated listens it has lost a lot of the initial appreciation, a bit too much prog by the numbers, I barely feel like listening to it anymore.

I hope Momentum will be a return to real inspiration. The single title track has left me rather cold regardless of Paul Gilbert's solo, always one of the most professional-sounding guitarists out there but that's not enough.

I really hope that it will challenge the level of One, ? or Sola Scriptura.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 45>