Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The New Neal Morse Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 45>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2012 at 19:42
Morse music video, so tight. He always suprises me and blows my mind. And this 33 min epic I think it where Neal will shine like never before on this new album. Mike keeps ranting about it...
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2012 at 22:22
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I'm a big fan of Neal's but I have to say that since Sola Scriptura he stagnated to me, not bad at all, always very good, but he did not surpass his previous works.

Lifeline had a 5-star title track, a couple of good tracks and some regular material.

I liked Testimony 2 the first two times I listened to it and Seeds Of Gold seemed like a really great epic but after repeated listens it has lost a lot of the initial appreciation, a bit too much prog by the numbers, I barely feel like listening to it anymore.

I hope Momentum will be a return to real inspiration. The single title track has left me rather cold regardless of Paul Gilbert's solo, always one of the most professional-sounding guitarists out there but that's not enough.

I really hope that it will challenge the level of One, ? or Sola Scriptura.

I don't know about anything challenging One (although T2 is my favorite Neal album right now, but i listened to it recently and feel that my opinion might possibly change in a while). I think part 6 of T2 is so incredible with Mercy Street, Overture no.4, Time Changer (one of Neal's best), and Jayda. 
I read in some interview that his own favorite album is One, can't remember which one, but I remember reading that.

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 00:08
Originally posted by AlexDOM AlexDOM wrote:

I don't know about anything challenging One (although T2 is my favorite Neal album right now, but i listened to it recently and feel that my opinion might possibly change in a while). I think part 6 of T2 is so incredible with Mercy Street, Overture no.4, Time Changer (one of Neal's best), and Jayda. 
I read in some interview that his own favorite album is One, can't remember which one, but I remember reading that.

One is probably my favourite too, very closely followed by ?.

Solo Scriptura is also fantastic but I need to be in the heavy mood and generally speaking I'm more of a symphonic type. But I love SS and a great thing about it is that Neal did something different rather than following the formula of his previous albums, and he did it wonderfully.
Biff Tannen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biff Tannen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 00:41
I think it's a close call between T2, ? and One, but I'd give T2 the edge by a little over the other two.  The original Testimony is really good as well, but is too long and could have been better by cutting it down a bit.  

The new song sounds okay. 
"What are you looking at, butthead?"
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morsenator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2012 at 14:46
Was at the concert in Keuruu, Finland, yesterday! All I can say now, is that my wildest dreams have been fulfilled Tongue Me&my friend got the best place in the whole crowd, right in front of Neal. Clap The playing was very tight, and the setlist was great as well. Adson played a few absolutely mean solos, even better than Paul Bielatowicz, the Sola tour guitarist. As a 100% fanboy I can't really find any words to describe just what I felt there. Being like half meters away and right in front of Neal when he plays one of those cool acoustic solos was so surreal in a way. A blessed event, for sure, at least for me. Meeting the guys after the gig was a lot of fun too, although we had to rush a bit since the queue was obviously quite long. I may do a longer review some time next week, right now I'm way too tired for that. I'll leave the set for there as well so that anyone won't be spoiled (I surely would). 
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2012 at 20:09
Originally posted by Morsenator Morsenator wrote:

Was at the concert in Keuruu, Finland, yesterday! All I can say now, is that my wildest dreams have been fulfilled Tongue Me&my friend got the best place in the whole crowd, right in front of Neal. Clap The playing was very tight, and the setlist was great as well. Adson played a few absolutely mean solos, even better than Paul Bielatowicz, the Sola tour guitarist. As a 100% fanboy I can't really find any words to describe just what I felt there. Being like half meters away and right in front of Neal when he plays one of those cool acoustic solos was so surreal in a way. A blessed event, for sure, at least for me. Meeting the guys after the gig was a lot of fun too, although we had to rush a bit since the queue was obviously quite long. I may do a longer review some time next week, right now I'm way too tired for that. I'll leave the set for there as well so that anyone won't be spoiled (I surely would). 

Awesome:) Yeah i was only like 15 ft from him in Murfreesboro on the T2 Tour in America. It was a dream come true too!!!
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2012 at 02:02
Originally posted by Morsenator Morsenator wrote:

Congratulations! I was also 2 meters in front of him in the Lifeline tour concert, these concerts are the best! 
lmaorofllollmao View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lmaorofllollmao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2012 at 12:49
Just listened to "V" today, i definitely LOVED "at the end of the day". It's a GREAT album.
EATTTT YOUURRR BEEEEEETTTSSSSS!!!!!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morsenator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2012 at 15:10
Originally posted by lmaorofllollmao lmaorofllollmao wrote:

Just listened to "V" today, i definitely LOVED "at the end of the day". It's a GREAT album.

My favourite Spock's song Smile If not for the three not particularly good songs (other stunning ones than ATEotD I consider TGN and Thoughts pt.2), it would be like the best thing there is.

AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2012 at 15:24
Yeah V is their best, but Snow is pretty close too.
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2012 at 15:49
Taken from a recent interview 

Progshine -And after so many records and projects, can we call you a musicaholic? (laughs) Do you have any favourite album you’ve played? If yes, why?
Neal Morse - I feel like I take a lot of time off as well. People think I am a workaholic or just a music maniac. I went camping with the family and took a lot of time off. I wrote a few songs during the three weeks, but I spent a lot of time with the family and just resting. I think it is really important in our walk with God. He will give us rest, so we want to enter into His rest which is just a wonderful thing. One of my favorite albums if I had to pick one of mine it  would be the One album. I don’t know why exactly it just really touches my heart and  I love the way it sounds. I love Phil Keaggys and Rick Altizers involvement it just really touches my heart and I think it is one of my strongest albums, is the Onealbum.
Ytse_Jam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ytse_Jam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2012 at 16:06
No one talks about The Light? :( It is probably one of my favourite prog albums of all time. So melodic, progressive and inspired. I love it.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2012 at 16:09
I love The Light. It was my second Spock's Beard album, after getting most of Neal's solo prog albums. The title track is my most listened to SB song, by far, and one of Neal's best compositions. The rest of the album is also excellent. The Water is fantastic as well.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morsenator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2012 at 15:24
The Light is phenomenal. Go the Way You Go was the first Neal song I ever heard Tongue And since then there was no coming back..

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2012 at 15:37
I said yesterday that when my wife yells at me I sing that section of "The Light."

I AM THE CATFISH MAN
I CAN'T HEAR YOU
GO AHEAD AND HAVE A NICE DAY NOW
GO AHEAD AND SAY WHAT YOU SAY NOW
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2012 at 18:32
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I said yesterday that when my wife yells at me I sing that section of "The Light."

I AM THE CATFISH MAN
I CAN'T HEAR YOU

Trump card everytime! That is awesome. The Light is a great record, and I love The Water, perhaps their most controversial track. 
Ytse_Jam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ytse_Jam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2012 at 18:45
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I AM THE CATFISH MAN
I CAN'T HEAR YOU
Ahah yes, funny lyrics! Also, one of the best songs in terms of composition, and the initial piano part made me almost cry a couple of times. Great song (and album).
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2012 at 22:49
the piano intro to The Light i think is so broadway cheesy.  for years this kind of stuff kept me away from spock's.  i've gotten past it because the dude can right a hook like no other.  he is kind of a guilty pleasure though. i find his music to be some of the easiest and most satisfying to listen to.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2012 at 23:30
I've always liked this Transatlantic piece:

“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2012 at 23:39
^ It's good. It's really good on The Whirld Tour 2010 with Roine singing instead. I like it a lot more than Bridge Across Forever, which is essentially a Neal Morse solo piece.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 45>