Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The New Neal Morse Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 45>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Mustard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2012 at 21:46
Just viewed Thoughts pt. 5 and I shouldn't be surprised at this point that he continues to crank out amazing stuff, but I am impressed. The two songs he's released sound very Spock's Beard-esque, which is good. Hopefully the rest of the album is this awesome!
Lofcaudio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lofcaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2012 at 08:47
Based upon the three songs that have been "released", it would seem that Morse has taken a much different approach lyrically with this album as the content is not overtly Christian.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2012 at 13:27
Originally posted by Master of Time Master of Time wrote:

They just posted Thoughts Part 5 on Neal's Facebook page, it sounds awesome.

He's still in amazing form compositionally, and all of them as performers, great track!
The beginning sounds a bit too much like Master Of Confusion but OK, there's nothing wrong with that.

Neal must have read my thread from more than one year ago, wouldn't it be great to have the full studio album released in video in this style?

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2012 at 13:47
I gave in and watched the video, but only because I wanted to see the guys playing, and would up really liking Thoughts Part 5. There was some interesting things going on, and now I'm really excited for Momentum. Portnoy played some cool things, and Randy on guitar!
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2012 at 14:48
Originally posted by Lofcaudio Lofcaudio wrote:

Based upon the three songs that have been "released", it would seem that Morse has taken a much different approach lyrically with this album as the content is not overtly Christian.

Praise the lord! LOL  I hope this is true.  Not that I'm terribly bothered by Christian lyrics really, I just find his "concepts" to be incredibly repetitive these days (which is probably why my favorite is Sola Scriptura as it deviates a little bit from the normal praise lyrics he writes for every song).
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2012 at 19:47
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Originally posted by Lofcaudio Lofcaudio wrote:

Praise the lord! LOL  I hope this is true.  Not that I'm terribly bothered by Christian lyrics really, I just find his "concepts" to be incredibly repetitive these days (which is probably why my favorite is Sola Scriptura as it deviates a little bit from the normal praise lyrics he writes for every song).

Halleluja!

Cool

Edited by zumacraig - August 24 2012 at 19:52
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2012 at 08:24
I happen to like his praise lyrics, but I pretty much love anything he does period...
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2012 at 09:05
Originally posted by AlexDOM AlexDOM wrote:

I happen to like his praise lyrics, but I pretty much love anything he does period...

Obviously you are not alone.  I just find no creativity in his lyrics on his solo albums.  He's  been repeating the same theme, same concept, over and over again on every album.  I just don't understand why he can't write about something else once in a while (other Christians do it, Glass Hammer, for example).
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2012 at 21:55

Obviously you are not alone.  I just find no creativity in his lyrics on his solo albums.  He's  been repeating the same theme, same concept, over and over again on every album.  I just don't understand why he can't write about something else once in a while (other Christians do it, Glass Hammer, for example).

That's him sharing his life story, His testimony, its so personal...  What Christ did in his life. I fail to see how that's repetitive and not creative.

And the albums that aren't his story are incredible creative, Sola and ? are awesomely creative. One, though a familiar concept is done so so well... (sorry I would agree Lifeline is a little sub par, but still is solid)

Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morsenator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2012 at 03:39

That's him sharing his life story, His testimony, its so personal...  What Christ did in his life. I fail to see how that's repetitive and not creative.

And the albums that aren't his story are incredible creative, Sola and ? are awesomely creative. One, though a familiar concept is done so so well... (sorry I would agree Lifeline is a little sub par, but still is solid)

I'd argue as well that ? and Sola are really different concepts, than what he has done on his other solo albums. Especially ?, which has an incredible story (check out some of the Bible references pointed there in the lyric sheet). It's in the two Testimonys and One where I think too much thematic repetitiveness occurs (even though musically it's all greatness IMO).
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2012 at 12:20

well, that's one of the problems with hyper-religiousity.  it gets repetitive and it was only a matter of time before neal dug into some other subject matter.  although some have done it, there's only so much praise jesus music you can make and only so much an audience member can take before they take off and another one comes and replaces them.  

although i'd like to...i won't get into the 'what christ did in his life' comment.   Confused
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2012 at 14:19
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

well, that's one of the problems with hyper-religiousity.  it gets repetitive and it was only a matter of time before neal dug into some other subject matter.  although some have done it, there's only so much praise jesus music you can make and only so much an audience member can take before they take off and another one comes and replaces them.  
although i'd like to...i won't get into the 'what christ did in his life' comment.   Confused

All the subject matter deals with Christianity, just different themes or subjects. But his passion for solid rocking prog epicness and Christ shows through all His albums.

Oh yeah and His book Testimony is incredible

Edited by AlexDOM - August 28 2012 at 14:20
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2012 at 15:20

Hence my two favorite solo albums of his are Sola and ?  Smile

I understand what you are saying, but........it's been done many times before, is I guess what I'm saying.  I find his music incredibly formulaic as well........but what a GREAT formula!!  The music is almost always fantastic (though Lifeline, as you mention, is less than fantastic for me, except for a couple tracks), so I generally just accept and deal with the lyrics.  I actually enjoy the autobiographical nature of the two Testimony albums, and wasn't put off by the lyrics much at all (except near the end of the first Testimony......but that is to be expected).

I guess I just prefer lyrics that are open to interpretation, which Morse's are most definitely not.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2012 at 16:28

All the subject matter deals with Christianity, just different themes or subjects. But his passion for solid rocking prog epicness and Christ shows through all His albums.

so neal is Christ?!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2012 at 16:32

I understand what you are saying, but........it's been done many times before, is I guess what I'm saying.  I find his music incredibly formulaic as well........but what a GREAT formula!!  The music is almost always fantastic (though Lifeline, as you mention, is less than fantastic for me, except for a couple tracks), so I generally just accept and deal with the lyrics.  I actually enjoy the autobiographical nature of the two Testimony albums, and wasn't put off by the lyrics much at all (except near the end of the first Testimony......but that is to be expected).

I guess I just prefer lyrics that are open to interpretation, which Morse's are most definitely not.

everyone seems to be forgetting the title of one of his albums and just putting down '?'.  collective amnesia?   Approve

i just can't help myself.  so God decided that he was going to fix the hole in his daughter's heart so Neal could quit spock's beard and spread God's Love through christian prog.  so, what about all the other babies at death's door that night that God didn't heal?

i really love this dude's music, but he is so spiritually naive.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2012 at 01:45

I really love this dude's music, but he is so spiritually naive.

He's a born-again christian.
TrickedTail View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrickedTail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2012 at 02:27
I've pre-ordered Neal's new album. Very much looking forward to it.

Glad to hear that he seems to have not solely focussed on writing Christian lyrics this time around. That said, I wasn't a massive fan on Neal lyrically in SB either. I prefer the Genesis style witty/amusing/storytelling lyrics or the Yes  mystical/nonsensical style. I can't really explain it, for some reason it ads to the experience singing along to something that appears to make absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Oh well, the lyrics equate to about 1/1000th of the album's importance. Hope there's some great music. Wait, what am I saying? This is Neal Morse! Looking forward to some great music!
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morsenator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2012 at 03:12

everyone seems to be forgetting the title of one of his albums and just putting down '?'.  collective amnesia?   Approve

i just can't help myself.  so God decided that he was going to fix the hole in his daughter's heart so Neal could quit spock's beard and spread God's Love through christian prog.  so, what about all the other babies at death's door that night that God didn't heal?

i really love this dude's music, but he is so spiritually naive.

Meh, I think I'm not gonna start another conversation here. I'll just say that whether or not you want to explain what happened to his daughter scientifically, it's still a real miracle. I'd suggest you read the book, it sure made me understand why Neal does what he does.
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2012 at 08:19

so neal is Christ?!

Heavens No, His passion for Christ is shown through his albums. 
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2012 at 09:50
Originally posted by TrickedTail TrickedTail wrote:

I've pre-ordered Neal's new album. Very much looking forward to it.

Glad to hear that he seems to have not solely focussed on writing Christian lyrics this time around. That said, I wasn't a massive fan on Neal lyrically in SB either. I prefer the Genesis style witty/amusing/storytelling lyrics or the Yes  mystical/nonsensical style. I can't really explain it, for some reason it ads to the experience singing along to something that appears to make absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Oh well, the lyrics equate to about 1/1000th of the album's importance. Hope there's some great music. Wait, what am I saying? This is Neal Morse! Looking forward to some great music!

I read an interview with him done around the time of Kindness of Strangers album, and he said what he loved about writing lyrics for prog was that he didn't have to write them about anything in particular and they didn't even have to make sense.  So he was kind of doing what you say you like back then, though he wasn't nearly as creative with it as Jon Anderson was Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 45>