Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The New Neal Morse Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 45>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lofcaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2011 at 08:37
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Will be spinning that one tonight.

Well...?
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2011 at 09:38
Originally posted by Lofcaudio Lofcaudio wrote:

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Will be spinning that one tonight.

Well...?

Sounds excellent.  It will need a couple more plays, but after one full listen, I'm quite pleased with it.  Much better reaction than Testimony 1, anyway.
ConfusedGenius View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConfusedGenius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2011 at 20:21
http://www.examiner.com/progressive-metal-in-national/neal-morse-produces-another-masterpiece-with-testimony-2-review

Sorry, I couldn't resist Big smile. I also posted a link to our interview at the bottom of the article. Anyway, I love both Testimony albums, and "Snow" is one of my all time favorites. I think most of his stuff sounds alike, but hey, at least it's HIS sound. He's amazing in concert too, of course.
Don't eat...your beets...RECYCLE!!

- "Earth Day" by Devin Townsend
Garden of Dreams View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garden of Dreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2011 at 21:57
Does anyone know who played the marvelous guitar solo on 12 from Question Mark?  I know Neal brought in Steve Hackett, Roine Stolt and Alan Morse to play a little guitar on the album.  
Just give it all an hour by the concrete lake.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garion81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2011 at 22:55
12 is Hackett

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2011 at 14:47
great song
Garden of Dreams View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garden of Dreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2011 at 15:57
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

12 is Hackett

Thank you. I figured it was Hackett simply because of how brilliant it is.
Just give it all an hour by the concrete lake.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2011 at 15:52
Okay, Testimony 2 is excellent.  Predictable, but excellent.  Actually, Neal's predictability is something I actually enjoy Big smile
Octave Below View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octave Below Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2011 at 09:32
I agree that there is some predictability, but to me, a lot of it is just that Neal has a very specific sound. I know Neal has gotten a lot of criticism for making solo albums that "sound the same", but I think there is tremendous variation in there. Maybe not lyrically, but that could be said for most music released in our age. It's mostly based around the same things. Commercial pop lyrics often centers around love, Neal's lyrics centers around his faith.

Testimony 2... Yeah, I like it. More and more with each listen. Which is how most prog albums work for me. 
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2011 at 21:25
Testimony 2 has allowed me to appreciate Testimony 1 a lot more. It used to be just above Lifeline, now I think it'll move up. I'm listening to it now, probably for the first time since Testimony 2 came out. The themes that go back and forth between both albums is awesome. T1 just sounds better with context of T2.
ConfusedGenius View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConfusedGenius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2011 at 21:07
I've been a huge fan of Spock's Beard since I can remember. Snow is still one of my favorites. Check out my review of his new album below (and my interview with him). Again, sorry for the shameless self promotion, but if you guys want to read it, what's the harm Big smile?

http://www.examiner.com/progressive-metal-in-national/neal-morse-produces-another-masterpiece-with-testimony-2-review

http://www.examiner.com/progressive-metal-in-national/neal-morse-spock-s-beard-transatlantic-discusses-his-music-inspirations
Don't eat...your beets...RECYCLE!!

- "Earth Day" by Devin Townsend
TrickedTail View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrickedTail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2011 at 06:11
I've got to say, I really love Neal Morse in all three of his forms. Transatlantic are probably my favourite of his (main) works but there simply isn't enough material for it not to get old and quickly if over listened.

As for his solo outputs, the music is fantastic (though, I've only heard T1, T2 and Sola Scriptura) and in Testimony albums especially the lyrics are a little annoying. I'm sure his excessive use of religious themed lyrics has been discussed to death in here but although it's obviously important for an artist to write about what's important to him, it just saddens me he couldn't find something else more important to him instead. Well, anything I didn't blatantly disagree with. But, in any case, the lyrics are tolerable for the music he produces.

Edited by TrickedTail - August 07 2011 at 06:16
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 14:00
Time to bump.

Ive been slowly but surely getting back into this music after some time away, and Neal's albums have been making their way into my rotation. Started with Testimony 2 which I actually went 2 months without listening to!!! Now I'm on Testimony 1, and it's so much more enjoyable than when I first got it. Maybe T2 helped, but it's so good.

Both Testimony albums may be 5 stars for me, not sure yet; though T2 definitely is. One of the best albums to come out this year.
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Failcore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 14:18
Spock's is still my favorite. I like his solo, but it gets older quicker, because the arrangements are so over the top.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 14:20
For sure one of the best albums of the year.......Tour wise the T2 Show was my #1 this year, behind Rush then DT.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 14:24
I'm liking how diverse, musically, the first Testimony is. I mean disc 1 has like 20 different styles, and now I'm on disc 2, and I just went from prog madness, to 70s brass rock, now bluegrass.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 14:41
I hate to use the word but I just think Neal is underappreciated as a musician, composer and band leader. He gets too much flack for his christian based lyrics.......Even though I don't mind the lyrics (I am Catholic) its the music, arrangements that I like about his music.
The lyrics are uplifting and come from the heart....so I can appreciate it all.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 14:50
Same here. I'm not much of a lyrics guy, if the music is awesome that's all I care about; the lyrics are sometimes like a bonus.

Yes the music is very uplifting, and at times, can match the music perfectly. Sometimes Neal's music will take me out of a slump and put me in a great mood
I don't like the overtly religious lyrics, but sometimes they are vague and can be interpreted to mean almost anything.

But it's all about the music. I consider some of Neal's compositions to be the best in the symphonic prog genre, both solo and as Transatlantic. Spock's Beard is great too, but for some reason doesn't impact me as much, I don't know why... Generally just as good though, especially The Light and The Kindness of Strangers.
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Failcore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 14:56
People say Neal is so derivative, but I challenge anyone to find work that sounds like his. Sure his style is in a similar vein as others, but there is something that is definitely uniquely Neal about it.

Edited by Deathrabbit - October 20 2011 at 14:57
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 14:58
^ yes Neal has created his own niche sub-sub-genre. Sure there's some classic prog influence, but it's very much modern, and Portnoy's powerful drumming separates his work with Spock's a great deal (sorry, but Nick is still great)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 45>