Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMike Oldfield's Guitar Tone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: What do you think of Mike Oldfield's electric guitar tone?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
19 [30.65%]
24 [38.71%]
11 [17.74%]
8 [12.90%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 10:59
It's good.
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 17:13
Absolutely AMAZING Clap.
courtzz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2011 at 23:48
its ok for me
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2011 at 05:33
I love - It's amazing!
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2011 at 05:44
Ewwwwww! Dead

But I have to say it would take more than a tolerable guitar tone to make his music listenable.
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2011 at 10:02
Wow am I sick of hearing about David Gilmour.  I didn't realise he had such an absurd following on this site.  I've always thought he couldn't be much less interesting as a guitarist.  I used to like him til I realised everything he does when soloing ever sounds the exact same.  BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNDDDDDDDD SUSTAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIINNNNNN BEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDD.  

Now I'm always a feel over technicality kinda guy, but he's just so uncreative.  Just like Pink Floyd in general, he found a sound he was comfortable with and never ventured out again.

And Mike Oldfield is a far superior musician.  Composing original sounding music like that is MUCH MUCH more difficult than being good at guitar and Oldfield's music kills Floyd/Gilmour in terms of originality/not being pop music.  As for his tone, I'm not particularly opposed to it.  It does sound really studioed pretty often, but with his kind of recordings it works.  I'm usually about warmer smoother tones (or any Zappa tone) but it works. 

Edited by himtroy - July 13 2011 at 10:05
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2011 at 14:36
I am sorry, I really don't get what you are saying about Gilmour at all. I like to think that the Floyd are like an orchestra, and as such his guitar parts are part of a sonic picture, and with that in mind I cannot think that anyone would have complemented the melodies and dynamics better. For example his solo on time is in my opinion prefect in every way!

But of course this is all opinion, and nothing else........now if you wanted a guitarist to really rant about always doing the same thing - Brian May - awful guitarist, horrible tone and part of one of the most overated bands of all time.......just opinion of course
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2011 at 16:13
Originally posted by Ruby900 Ruby900 wrote:

I am sorry, I really don't get what you are saying about Gilmour at all. I like to think that the Floyd are like an orchestra, and as such his guitar parts are part of a sonic picture, and with that in mind I cannot think that anyone would have complemented the melodies and dynamics better. For example his solo on time is in my opinion prefect in every way!

But of course this is all opinion, and nothing else........now if you wanted a guitarist to really rant about always doing the same thing - Brian May - awful guitarist, horrible tone and part of one of the most overated bands of all time.......just opinion of course

Yeah I agree with you there (in personal taste that is, I can acknowledge that people can physically play), but to me Gilmour is bad for the same reasons.  His tone is certainly better, and he has more feel, but he falls to the same cliche's.  There's no way I'm bothering going into detail, but after playing guitar for so long there are certain licks people always play that make me want to strangle someone.  This is all part of my despising poppy music most likely though, so it's a matter of taste more than anything.    Personally I'd just rather have somebody like Zappa solo where the note choices are very unique and I feel like he actually has something to say, rather than "guitar solo here" then rip it up.  

I also just don't like Pink Floyd very much, the instrumentation always bored me.  Too chorus/verse/chorus for me and the bass blows, it's like the man has never heard jazz before.  I do however really like Nick Mason's style despite it's simplicity (or because of?) as well as Richard Wright's piano playing (Paintbox).   I was always much more of a Piper fan than later Floyd.  In my opinion the feel of Eclipse kind of just road through their entire damn career, too much of Darkside and other material sounds the exact same to me.  But i'll admit that there was a time in early high-school when I was into the Floyd,  so I can assure you these aren't baseless beliefs (I've heard their whole discography a lot bar a few post 80's recordings).

I've been on hold with damn people from the music building at school throughout this, so that might be full of mistakes and inconsistencies (in wording, not opinions). 

Edited by himtroy - July 13 2011 at 16:19
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.
Navegador View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2011 at 17:42
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Awful singer, dubious composer, horrible guitarist.
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Ewwwwww! Dead

But I have to say it would take more than a tolerable guitar tone to make his music listenable.

ClapClapClap
NickHall View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2011 at 02:43
It's VERY good (but not amazing)
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2011 at 17:09
I like him acoustically over the electric. He is okay.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2011 at 02:13
Mike Oldfield is a great artist.(no idea what this poll is about thoughEmbarrassed)
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 11:12
I didn't vote in this earlier, because I am not too familiar with Mike Oldfield, but I just got Ommadawn and haven't been able to stop listening to it since. As for his guitar tone, I agree that it's not very good. However, I do quite like the style of his playing and the tone issue is not really a distraction for me. I voted "It's okay"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123