25 [34.72%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2011 at 05:25
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

If I want to listen to a Peter Gabriel sound-alike, I'll listen to Peter Gabriel.

Doesn't even begin to make sense! Peter Gabriel is a sound alike of Peter Gabriel?
LOLClap

If I want to listen to a person-with-sinus-problems sound-alike, I'll listen to Steve Hogarth. 

LOLLOLLOLLOLClapClapClapClap
yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2011 at 05:55
Fish. I like some of the Hogarth era Marillion, but Fish was so unique and his lyrics were for me, much more interesting.
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2011 at 05:55
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

If I want to listen to a Peter Gabriel sound-alike, I'll listen to Peter Gabriel.

Doesn't even begin to make sense! Peter Gabriel is a sound alike of Peter Gabriel?
LOLClap

If I want to listen to a person-with-sinus-problems sound-alike, I'll listen to Steve Hogarth. Not fair ! bad player !  LOL

LOLLOLLOLLOLClapClapClapClap
davemuttillo View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2011 at 22:59
Fish (by a mile) ... that's an easy question.
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2011 at 05:06
I am a big fan of both of them, and I think Marillion as a band is richer for having had both phases in their career. That said, I like Fish's solo material a hell of a lot more than Hogarth's non-Marillion projects, and on top of that I think Fish's singing style is just plain more diverse - just listen to Clutching At Straws, where he throws in Script-style proclamations, a bit of crooning, a bit of yelling, and the occasional snatch of spoken word, and it all sounds wonderful. Whereas I tend to find that Hogarth has a fairly narrow range of singing styles in which he works best and he can fall over if he goes outside of that comfort zone - the pseudo-"rap" segment in Quartz ("you're only happy when you're oiled and jeweled") is just cringeworthy.

So, after much consideration, I have to go for Fish.

(I hate to say this, but I also suspect I'd get along much better with Fish if we met in real life... in interviews and things he writes he always seems very genuine and honest, and shows a rare combination of cocky self-confidence on the one hand with just enough awareness of his faults on the other to stop that turning into full-blown arrogance. Whereas Steve Hogarth just leaves me rather cold and comes across as being kind of "up himself", as they say around my way. But my vote was based purely on the music.)
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2011 at 07:12
I always break out laughing when I see these types of polls: The eternal question...LOL Come on! We´ve obviously come along way since Plato and Aristotel. Maybe they secretly were much more obsessed with things like: The eternal question: Who is the greatest lyre player - Stephanoupulous or Matopiphokles?

As for the eternal question asked here, I´ll go with the sea bass. The way he swims those tricky beatnik flavored waters puts him in a class of his own. One of my favorite lyricist - and I love the way his voice backs up his words, although I had to get use to his feminine screeches and overdramatic theatricals. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
antonyus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2011 at 08:58
well i prefer Hogarth's voice instead of fish's (not song writing capacity; if its so, i'll go with fish !)
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 01:39
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I´ll go with the sea bass. The way he swims those tricky beatnik flavored waters puts him in a class of his own. One of my favorite lyricist - and I love the way his voice backs up his words, although I had to get use to his feminine screeches and overdramatic theatricals. 

Very nicely put, that's more less my take on Fish. It's amazing that he adopts such a direct approach and somehow retains a measure of elegance and understatement which makes it less than too-in-your-face...at least for those who like it anyway!  And the sheer fury in his singing often makes me look right past his theatrical excesses because he makes it appealing and compelling. She Chameleon comes to mind.
NickHall View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 02:28
Fish
Billy Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2011 at 04:56
Hogarth makes more enjoyable music, he is multi instrumental, and for some reason has a ton of criticism against him. Hogarth, always. Fish is great too though. 
FunkyHomoSapien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2011 at 09:01
A Fish dish for me
Anthony View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2011 at 12:49
h sings from the heart, Fish only has got some drunken man's gibberish. Give me "Brave" over "Misplaced Childhood" any time.
Future prosperity lies in the way you heal the world with love
(Introitus - The hand that feeds you)
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2011 at 17:54
In the 80's I was a big Marillion fan and went to several concerts. Then, when Fish left, I went to the first concert with Hogarth (Season's End tour) and I have to admit I was disappointed by the performance. I think Hogarth has no charisma at all compared to Fish, who was somehow electrifying. Fish sang always with that much compassion, which Hogarth lacks. Also the music style changed and felt more streamlined. So I lost interest in the Hogarth-era Marillion.
davemuttillo View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2011 at 12:25
Give me 'Misplaced  Childhood' over anything Mariilion has done with Hogarth.

Speaking specifically of 'Misplaced Childhood' it qualifies as one of my ten favorite CDs of all time.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2011 at 03:03
I'll have to confess it took time but I have grown to love Hogarth's voice.  What you get from him is real passion and emotion, and a really distinctive voice.  I didn't like him at the start, probably as he was so different from Fish and it took me time to get used to such a change.  I eventually saw the light.

Fish was for me a great frontman but not really a great vocalist.  In concert he was fabulous and had the whole audience in his hands.  I remember one gig at the Gallery in Manchester when some wag shouted "The Knife" in between songs.  His one word response "w**ker"!  I confess that nowadays I find it really hard to listen to those early Marillion albums.

Voted Hogarth, by a large distance.

Edited by Roj M30 - September 05 2011 at 03:04
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2011 at 06:14

Huge fan since Fugazi, one of the first prog albums I bought. However as somoeone here said, Brave over Misplaced every day. The music has changed but is no less prog for that. What I will say is that I can still recite every word off the first four studio albums, but would have no chance with the last four (or many inbetween). Anyway, voted for Mr Hogarth over Mr Dick.

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2011 at 06:18
Though I do wish Marillion would stop issuing so many bloody live albums, demo albums and Christmas albums that for some unfathonable reason I keep feeling some ridiculous need to buy! My Marillion album collection is bigger than most people's full record collection (and I don't mean all you music lovers on here!).
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 21:57
I voted for Hogarth for the simple, and obvious, fact that the band was able to flourish and really come into its own with Fish's absence. There is such musical diversity on Hogarth's albums, but if Fish had stayed in the band, we wouldn't have had such masterpieces as Brave or Afraid of Sunlight or even Marbles. I do love Misplaced Childhood and Clutching At Straws, but they don't touch me as strongly as albums like Brave and Afraid of Sunlight or even Seasons End for that matter.

Edited by Mirror Image - June 23 2014 at 22:00
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 08:27
The one is Fish though Hogarth is really good too
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 21:54
I don't know enough Marillion to give an answer. I know Fish's era well enough, I guess, but with H I only know the last album. From what I know, I really loved many of the Fish songs, and "Script for a Jester's Tear" is just a magnificent album, and it's title song is just such a special piece of music, along with the "Pseudo Silk Kimono / Kaleigh" duo of songs. However, I found the last album very enjoyable as well, though perhaps it didn't have the same kind of genious, and I really liked the vocals a lot. Actually I liked H's singing much better than Fish's, which is too Gabriel-like for my taste, though perhaps a bit less annoying (still, not a fan of either's voice)... however, I would have to hear some Fish era songs sung by H to see if I wouldn't end up disapointed with the new versions anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>