Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs 90125 the most underrated Yes album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 14:05
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

I rented 90125 in my local library last year. I tried more than a couple to deal with this record. Come on, guys, let's admit it: it's not that everything is awful on this album, but it can't compete with the 70's Yes material in strict terms of writing!
90125 sounds like a ton of other 80's rock music made to conquer the FM waves: "Owner of a Lonely Heart" is rather poor from a musical point of view, "Changes" offers no surprise... And I can't even remember the music of the other songs, all of them being as forgettable as a Foreigner anthology!
To re-estimate Drama is something to be done (even if I don't enjoy a lot, but it's not bad), but 90125 is so generic that it can't even be seen as an alternative to, let's say, Boston or Journey!

And for something completely different, Heaven and Earth sounds a Mike Oldfield album.

Er, I meant: a modern Mike Oldfield album (those having listened to Man on the Rocks know what I mean).

Well, that "Man on the Rocks" song, as well as "Nuclear" are much better than anything on "Heaven and Earth" for me (even if completley not prog and unlike what I'm used from Oldfield).
Star_Song_Age_Less View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 14:07
^^Very much so.  When that album came out I was still a kid, and I had grown up (thus far) listening to my dad's prog music collection among other things, and it startled me when I loved this album (esp. "Endless Dream") right away but he was dissatisfied with it.  He didn't dislike it, but he was disappointed, whereas I wanted to listen to it over and over and over again.  I loved that rattle-your-ribcage feel of the guitar combined with the creative songwriting.

And yet this power is missing for me in 90125.  It made no positive impact on me then, and now when I try to listen to it I have to struggle not to just give up and turn it off.  Weird - both Rabin...

Edited by Star_Song_Age_Less - February 22 2015 at 14:07
https://www.facebook.com/JamieKernMusic
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 15:33
Not discussed has been the economic impact of the recording "90125" upon the bank accounts of the members of Yes! 

They were basically running on fumes, financially, and may not have survived to give us any more recordings or live tours without the rather miraculous lift that "90125" gave to their bank accounts.  I've read this in more than a few places.  

It took me a while, but I quite enjoy "90125," particularly "It Can Happen."  A very fine Yes song.  
tricksiebzehn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 11:41
Yes is not underrated, so no Yes album by Yes can ever be underrated, even not 90125...

zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 21:10

I'm one who also thinks it may be a little underrated, But I have the bias...It was also my first Yes, and as a teen I used to love it and listen constantly.   When I hear it now, everything except Owner of a Lonely Heart (which was way too overplayed on the radio back then) sounds great and quite proggy enough for my ears.  Especially like Changes and Cinema.
Z
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 12:37
well I`m one whom isn't a fan of this YES Album. but funny I`m totally avid fan of BG...LOL
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2015 at 11:49
I believe that the commercial influence was on the Trevor Rabin agenda, songwriting and control over the Yes situation in the 80's. He was a polished songwriter and crafty enough to obtain success internationally from 3 or 4 songs that were melodically appealing to the 80's housewife who didn't like Progressive Rock. The style of songwriting was based around the structure of catchy melodies fused with Progressive Rock ,unlike the previous situation with Jon Anderson writing Folk melody that was commercially viable, but was also Avant Garde and developed easily by Anderson during the in the madtimes. I believe Rabin was a skilled writer with the same background of interest that evolved from 10CC or Supertramp.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567