Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs 90125 the most underrated Yes album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 21:48
Very good record, some great rockin moments.
And maybe the more rock than traditional prog moments on the record didn't do it a lot of favors with some long time Yes fans.
Will it go down as one of the greatest in Yes history?
Maybe not. Glad it's there though. It kind of breathed some different life into the band.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 23:59
I think 9012 the solo's, is way more underrated, its almost never mentioned, and it was infact a fine live album.  

Edited by tamijo - August 07 2011 at 00:01
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2011 at 00:04
I think Big Generator is - and I hate it with a vengeance.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2011 at 05:35
Underrated??? LOLLOLLOLLOL

Look, it's got an average rating of three stars which is entirely appropriaterated.

Edited by Slartibartfast - August 07 2011 at 05:35
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2011 at 15:23
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

appropriaterated

LOL

Seriously, next to the KTA material, 90125 does happen to be the post-Drama Yes album I like the most.
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2011 at 15:31
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

However, there are people who think that anything that remotely smells like a commercial song, let alone sounds like one, is automatically a bad thing. It isn't, but it's probably best to ignore the snipers and carry on enjoying. 

here is a regrettable example :

Originally posted by slaughternalia slaughternalia wrote:

Personally, I don't like it at all, along with 80s Rush.

Thumbs Down 80's Rush is fabulous by the way...

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2011 at 15:33
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I think Big Generator is - and I love it with a passion.

Yeap.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2011 at 16:26
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

However, there are people who think that anything that remotely smells like a commercial song, let alone sounds like one, is automatically a bad thing. It isn't, but it's probably best to ignore the snipers and carry on enjoying. 

here is a regrettable example :

Originally posted by slaughternalia slaughternalia wrote:

Personally, I don't like it at all, along with 80s Rush.

Thumbs Down 80's Rush is fabulous by the way...

You are doing exactly the same thing you are strawmanning others as.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2011 at 15:43
I love all the yes have done. My less favorite albums are Relayer, Drama and Big Generator but I really love 90125, one of the few more than just listenable albums of the bloody 80s.
It seems underrated because there are many proggers and also old Yes fans who hate it. 

For me it's a great album. (but I like Union, too)
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2011 at 16:59
Absurd thread.
Navegador View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2011 at 17:36
Originally posted by Slaughternalia Slaughternalia wrote:

Going For The One is the Yes album that doesn't get the love it deserves

That.
Jake Kobrin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2011 at 19:51
Originally posted by Slaughternalia Slaughternalia wrote:

90125 was immensely popular and I certainly wouldn't call it underrated. Personally, I don't like it at all, along with 80s Rush. Going For The One is the Yes album that doesn't get the love it deserves

This. 
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2011 at 20:03
Don't know what is wrong with 80's Rush. Besides producing Moving Pictures, it also has Hold Your Fire and Signals.

All of which are great albums. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 18:25
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Don't know what is wrong with 80's Rush. Besides producing Moving Pictures, it also has Hold Your Fire and Signals.

All of which are great albums. 

Grace Under Pressure is incredible! One of my favorites. Couldn't do without it.
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2011 at 13:06
Hideous album, IMHO. And I agree with that Going for the one is album which doesn't get the recognition it deserves. Another albums which are underated are their first album, Yesshows, Drama and Talk - all of which are better than 90125!
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2011 at 22:59
I always found Tormato to be their most underrated album.  I saw the Tormato tour, and it
was great.  I've never stopped liking that album.
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

leonalvarado View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2011 at 10:53
Is 90125 underrated?
I think not. It hasn't hold as well as some of the classics because it was too much of a pop album from its time. The song Cinema held up well but that's because it was composed when the band's intentions still were to do progressive music. All of the fans that "grew up" with that version of Yes will disagree with me on that but, most of us who were around for "Close To The Edge" forth know a more adventurous brand of Yes.

90125 is a good pop album with streaks of progressive but it is not an essential album to the Yes experience. As a matter of fact, it feels out of place in regards of the rest of the catalogue (same goes for Big Generator and most of Talk).

I will agree with brainstormer in the sense of Tormato being the most underrated album. It seems that 1978 was a straining year on progressive rock acts. Genesis came out with "...and then there were three.." which the band members dismiss today as one of their weakest (I tend to disagree. After all, they are the same band that came out with "Invisible Touch"). Tormato to me has the most incredible performances that Chris Squire has ever put on an album. "On the Silent Wings of Freedom" has to be one of the best instrumental moments the band has ever had.

Perhaps the conditions from which the album was produced weren't the best and most fun. Band's will tend to relate those experiences to what they think of their albums. I know that was the case with Genesis' ATTWT. Phil often speaks as how much he disliked the album but in reality it is a good album its weakest piece happens to be their first big hit ever ("Follow You, Follow Me"). I think they actually did a great job considering they just lost a huge contributor (Steve Hackett).

The members of Yes don't have a great recollection of the recording sessions for Tormato. Given that, plus the fact that the music tastes were changing in favour of punk and more of a techno sound, Tormato never had the chance it deserved at the time. However, in time the album went platinum which is not easy for an album that wasn't really a commercial piece to begin with.

90215 was Yes more commercial effort ever as it shows by its sales (triple platinum). The downside of it comes not from the sales but from the way the music held with time. To me, it is a reminder when MTV played music. Catchy tunes that are almost danceable. Something reminiscent of radio and people not really familiar with the music from Yes' illustrious past.

The album was a reflection of the industry at the time. It wasn't too soon after when JethroTull came out with "A", a synth-heavy version of the band. Yes and Genesis found new life at the time in doing pop music. Genesis was able to keep it up until almost the end whilst Yes pop stint lasted for a couple of albums before they resorted to go back into a less radio-friendly format.

If there is one thing that's very wrong with Yes, it is that for the last thirty or so years, they have seen themselves as a business more than a band. Therefore, business-like decisions are made which aren't necessarily the best thing for their creativity. Hence, no more Jon, no more Rick and not even Oliver (whom I really liked filling his dad's shoes).

Trevor Rabin came in and went out of Yes as a business decision. These decisions are made to the benefit of the band's income but, as it happens with anything artistic, emotional inspiration is the real driver and motivator and when that is gone, you loose something big. 90125 made the band the biggest monetary payoff they had ever seen but, when people talk about Yes, they still talk about "Close To The Edge' or "Roundabaout" and both are world's apart from "Owner Of A Lonely Heart".

That's my two cents anyway.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2011 at 11:03
Originally posted by leonalvarado leonalvarado wrote:

Is 90125 underrated?

Trevor Rabin came in and went out of Yes as a business decision. These decisions are made to the benefit of the band's income but, as it happens with anything artistic, emotional inspiration is the real driver and motivator and when that is gone, you loose something big. 90125 made the band the biggest monetary payoff they had ever seen but, when people talk about Yes, they still talk about "Close To The Edge' or "Roundabaout" and both are world's apart from "Owner Of A Lonely Heart".

I'm sorry, but he didn't, and that is actually far from the truth. Rabin actually joined Chris Squire, following the decision by the latter to disband Yes when he didn't like the direction Downes & Horn were taking them in, and the idea was to form an outfit by the name of Cinema, featuring Squire, Rabin, and White.

It was only when Atlantic suggested that Anderson might want to be involved with the project that it was called Yes. 

Also, Rabin is on record many times as saying he wished it had stayed as Cinema, not called Yes. 
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
leonalvarado View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2011 at 17:18

Originally posted by leonalvarado leonalvarado wrote:

Is 90125 underrated?

I'm sorry, but he didn't, and that is actually far from the truth. Rabin actually joined Chris Squire, following the decision by the latter to disband Yes when he didn't like the direction Downes & Horn were taking them in, and the idea was to form an outfit by the name of Cinema, featuring Squire, Rabin, and White.

It was only when Atlantic suggested that Anderson might want to be involved with the project that it was called Yes. 

Also, Rabin is on record many times as saying he wished it had stayed as Cinema, not called Yes. 

And why do you think Atlantic "suggested" that hey called the project Yes? Far from the truth? I don't think so. The band wasn't called Cinema after all. Rabin was supposed to be the new lead singer until management objected to it. Isn't management the business branch of a band? The whole reason that the name Cinema was dropped was because it didn't make good business sense not to capitalise the leverage from the Yes brand. Also, Yes didn't split because of the direction that Downes and Horn were taking them. As a matter of fact, that's exactly the direction they've taken today. They split up because Trevor Horn didn't want to be in a band any longer he took a turn in his career to become a very well known record producer. That was the catalyst for the band's disintegration at the time. So, as you see, my statement is not only far from the truth but closer to it than what the popular version may be (whatever that is).

DiamondDog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2011 at 07:14
Possibly. There are worse in my opinion.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>